Seven sacred college football games that should never move

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_...college-football-games-that-should-never-move

Is nothing sacred anymore?

First, they turned ice cream into pellets. Next, they remade "The Karate Kid".

Now, the NFL is ripping out a part of its soul and drop-kicking it through the uprights -- Doug Flutie-style -- by allowing the Oakland Raiders to move to Las Vegas.

It just ain't natural, and it's an absolute shame that the real Black Hole will be no more.

One of the great things about college sports is that a university can't just pack up and leave. Notre Dame isn't leaving South Bend, Alabama isn't leaving Tuscaloosa, and Ohio State isn't leaving Columbus.

However, last week's Raiders vote got us thinking about classic college football games that make their homes at neutral sites. We're talking rivalry games, classic bowl games and even the sport's most historic conference championship. Moving these games from their rightful homes would be downright disrespectful to the sport and its fans.

Here are seven games that would be blasphemous to move:

7. The Bayou Classic -- New Orleans: The annual meeting between Grambling State and Southern has been going on for 43 years and is the biggest event of the year for historically black colleges and universities. It might not be an FBS staple, but it certainly is huge in the college football realm. The bands. The food. The dances. The tailgates. The food. The pageantry. The food. New Orleans and the Superdome aren't just locations ... they are part of the rivalry.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_...college-football-games-that-should-never-move.

7. The Bayou Classic -- New Orleans annual meeting between Grambling State and Southern has been going on for 43 years and is the biggest event of the year for historically black colleges and universities. It might not be an FBS staple, but it certainly is huge in the college football realm. The bands. The food. The dances. The tailgates. The food. The pageantry. The food. New Orleans and the Superdome aren't just locations ... they are part of the rivalry.

This guy that wrote the article must have not heard of the MCC...Biggest game in black college football, maybe in all of FCS football. He should read a little bit more about rivalries in college football.

Reactions: J C
This guy that wrote the article must have not heard of the MCC...Biggest game in black college football, maybe in all of FCS football. He should read a little bit more about rivalries in college football.

Yeah and I'm sure he never heard of the Iron bowl and Ohio vs Michigan too.

Smh.... give it up dude.

Attendance doesn't make a game or rivalry "the biggest". As much as I love the Cookman-FAMU fight, I cannot ignore how popular the Bayou Classic is and how much it means to HBCU football. No FCS rivalry received the press and television time for years like Southern and Grambling did for decades. Other than New Orleans being a great venue, both teams usually are competing for a conference title and the bands have been all over the world. Big numbers or smaller numbers in attendance, the college football world knows about the Bayou Classic before any name of any other FCS rivalry. Hell, the are some non P5 rivalry FBS games that receive less press and aren't as known as the Bayou Classic.

ZomboMeme%2023052017072426_zpsetoeeiys.jpg

Uhhh no. come on man let it go. The games he noted are big even if both teams are sorry as hell that year. Hell SU and GSU can both have losing records but when Thanksgiving week comes that is thrown out of the window and let's not even think about when both teams have a winning season and the Bayou Classic is deciding the Western Champion.

In my opinion there is not a FCS game that can compete on the nationally televised level as the Bayou Classic not even the FCS Championship.

Uhhh no. come on man let it go. The games he noted are big even if both teams are sorry as hell that year. Hell SU and GSU can both have losing records but when Thanksgiving week comes that is thrown out of the window and let's not even think about when both teams have a winning season and the Bayou Classic is deciding the Western Champion.

In my opinion there is not a FCS game that can compete on the nationally televised level as the Bayou Classic not even the FCS Championship.

This was not about which game is televised but about which should not be moved. Thus, it is more about the intensity and tradition that would be be disturbed if the game or date were changed. The MCC rivalry is as enshrined as many, if not most, other rivalry games. Because of the way a lot of people have structured their time to attend, moving the game would cause it to lose its vitality.
There was a Bleacher Report rating major rivalries a few years ago and it rated the MCC among the best in college football.

This was not about which game is televised but about which should not be moved. Thus, it is more about the intensity and tradition that would be be disturbed if the game or date were changed. The MCC rivalry is as enshrined as many, if not most, other rivalry games. Because of the way a lot of people have structured their time to attend, moving the game would cause it to lose its vitality.
There was a Bleacher Report rating major rivalries a few years ago and it rated the MCC among the best in college football.

If you walk down the street and ask a diverse crowd in different parts of the about the MCC and Bayou Classic I think you find your answer to each and every post where you tried to compare the two.

If you walk down the street and ask a diverse crowd in different parts of the about the MCC and Bayou Classic I think you find your answer to each and every post where you tried to compare the two.

I do this all of the time. Almost every who knows about die hard college football know about the Bayou Classic. There are more people in the diverse crowds I have been around who know about the Jackson State-Southern game. I think Alabama State folks ignore the popularity factor.

Back