SEC about to crack down on Mississippi

You would THINK with the current climate those who run the state would concede but of course they won't

This is the proposed flag

21371325-1810557575628893-3737319307811432440-n_1_orig.jpg

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
About time, I been fighting with Ole Miss and Miss State fans on Twitter. Man I'm loving this #BLM wave going on right now!!!

This is the biggest civil rights movement in history, bigger than the 60s. Black Lives Matter damn it and we should feel respected at all times. America wouldn't be America without us.

About time, I been fighting with Ole Miss and Miss State fans on Twitter. Man I'm loving this #BLM wave going on right now!!!

This is the biggest civil rights movement in history, bigger than the 60s. Black Lives Matter damn it and we should feel respected at all times. America wouldn't be America without us.
I wouldn't go that far. In 1960 they were hanging blacks and we were still drinking out of separate water fountains and going in back doors to stores. Riding in the back of the bus and less than 5% in white collar jobs. Let alone attending school with up to date books. I agree it's a big move but let's not forget where we came.

You would THINK with the current climate those who run the state would concede but of course they won't

This is the proposed flag

21371325-1810557575628893-3737319307811432440-n_1_orig.jpg
Hmmm, this is the Stennis Flag, designed by the granddaughter of the late RACIST U.S. Senator John C. Stennis.

I wouldn't go that far. In 1960 they were hanging blacks and we were still drinking out of separate water fountains and going in back doors to stores. Riding in the back of the bus and less than 5% in white collar jobs. Let alone attending school with up to date books. I agree it's a big move but let's not forget where we came.

My uncle said at his job in the 70s, they still had separate water fountains and black were not allowed to eat certain places with his white co-workers. The 60s were great for change but for several reasons I feel this current movement has been stronger and more impactful. I won't elaborate b/c it'll be a long post but no I'll never forget.

This is from a C-L article from April 2019

Some want to change the Mississippi flag. Which version do you prefer?
Giacomo Bologna, Mississippi ClarionLedgerPublished April 10, 2019 | Updated April 11, 2019

Some past alternatives to Mississippi's current state flag.

Some past alternatives to Mississippi's current state flag. (Photo: File photos)

A Republican candidate for attorney general said changing Mississippi's flag would help the Magnolia state focus on its future — not its past.
The flag currently contains a Confederate battle flag in the upper left corner. It was adopted in 1894 and has survived challenges before.
If Mississippi decided to change its flag, what would a new one look like? Here are some alternatives that have been proposed over years.
The Magnolia Flag
The Magnolia flag was Mississippi's first official state flag. It was adopted in 1861 and continued to be used through the Civil War.

The Magnolia flag was Mississippi's first official state flag. It was adopted in 1861 and continued to be used through the Civil War. (Photo: Special to The Clarion-Ledger)

The Magnolia Flag was Mississippi's first official state flag when it joined the Confederacy in 1861. A committee came up with the flag which prominently featured the state tree.
The Magnolia Flag was replaced in 1894 with Mississippi's current flag.
The upper left corner of the Magnolia Flag featured the Bonnie Blue Flag, which was Mississippi's flag when Mississippi was briefly the Republic of West Florida.
The Bonnie Blue Flag
Bonnie Blue Flag

Bonnie Blue Flag (Photo: Special to The Clarion-Ledger)

After a rebellion against Spain in 1810, the area that now includes Mississippi was briefly the Republic of West Florida under the Bonnie Blue Flag, with one white star, until being annexed by the U.S.
From statehood in 1817 to the start of the Civil War in 1861, Mississippi had no state flag.
According to Mississippi historian, author and professor David Sansing, the night after the Secession Convention at the Old Capitol, people walked through Jackson streets waving the Bonnie Blue.
Proposition B
A voter considers his options for state flag on April 17, 2001. Voters overwhelmingly supported the 1894 flag, which contains the Confederate emblem.

A voter considers his options for state flag on April 17, 2001. Voters overwhelmingly supported the 1894 flag, which contains the Confederate emblem. (Photo: AP)

Hmmm, this is the Stennis Flag, designed by the granddaughter of the late RACIST U.S. Senator John C. Stennis.

I know who Stennis is but knowing Mississippi, they are going to go with that flag over the Magnolia flag (my personal choice)

Anything is better than the current flag

My uncle said at his job in the 70s, they still had separate water fountains and black were not allowed to eat certain places with his white co-workers. The 60s were great for change but for several reasons I feel this current movement has been stronger and more impactful. I won't elaborate b/c it'll be a long post but no I'll never forget.

More impactful? Let's say it's a great movement that is attempting to pick up the mantle of the civil rights movement and leave it at that for now:

64 Civil Rights Act

65 Voting Rights Act

The funny thing is, even with all of this, we're more racially divided and probably even more segregated now than we were then. Take away gentrification, take out all major metro areas and you have basically the same thing. And hell, there have been 6 lynchings in the past week. I'm not saying it's the biggest movement ever, but the thing about this is, it's still evolving and has made some MAJOR companies be FORCED to come out and pick a side. You got many of them actually coming out of the pocket to show they're serious about it. They're not getting attacked with dogs and hoses but they are getting some real deal shit done right now. This is the first time ive actually seen white people be fed up. They got white folks out here tearing down confederate statues and shit. Companies changing policy, cities and states making new laws and amendments....bruh, changing the whole branding for aunt jemima? That's crazyyyyyyyyyy. I've seen a bunch of these, even the most notorious one back in 92 but somethin here just seems different to me.

The modern Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s and 60s removed the statutory Jim Crow laws and enacted the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1965 Voting Rights act. However, it did not change the heart of die heart racists. The challenge for the BLM movement.should be to remove the remaining discriminatory statues and changing the heart of wypipo. returning back to a more segregated society is a possibility.

an SEC conference championship? the ones that matter are already played out of state - they lose tennis or something along those lines.

FINALLY!!!!

The Southeastern Conference (SEC) is calling for the state of Mississippi to change its flag saying it wants student-athletes to be able to compete in an inclusive environment.

“It is past time for change to be made to the flag of the State of Mississippi. Our students deserve an opportunity to learn and compete in environment that are inclusive and welcoming to all," Southeastern Conference Commissioner Greg Sankey said in a statement.

“In the event there is no change, there will be consideration of precluding Southeastern Conference championship events from being conducted in the State of Mississippi until the state flag is changed," the statement added.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
More impactful? Let's say it's a great movement that is attempting to pick up the mantle of the civil rights movement and leave it at that for now:

64 Civil Rights Act

65 Voting Rights Act

65 Executive Order 11246 - Equal Employment Opportunity

68 Fair Housing Act

Last edited:
I can applaud the move" but can someone enlighten me, when has the state of Mississippi ever held a huge championship in the SEC or with the NCAA.

I hope a Mississippi SWAC team sees this, because losing a home Championship game ( Alcorn) is not good

I remember when Ole Miss head coach and former Alabama quarterback Steve Sloan tried to get the flag changed. He took a lot of heat and was not the coach for much longer. Billy Brewer took over and talked about tradition. He winning percentage was better than Sloan's, but he was not the coach for long. They understood the importance of recruiting. I do not think it is an accident that they have not won an SEC football title since 1962-before Archie Manning.

Since the Civil rights Acts are being discussed, here is the Civil Rights Act of 1875.

Last edited:
Back