Search Committee formed for New SU President-Chancellor

A lot of people are not happy about the list. But I was inform, that a lot of potential candidates are afraid of Louisiana politics. Under Edwards SU has seen significant growth in enrollment, alumni and corporate giving and research. The fear is the next governor could come in and undo all that work and cut higher education spending, which would set SUBR back.

A lot of people are not happy about the list. But I was inform, that a lot of potential candidates are afraid of Louisiana politics. Under Edwards SU has seen significant growth in enrollment, alumni and corporate giving and research. The fear is the next governor could come in and undo all that work and cut higher education spending, which would set SUBR back.
Yeah, that list ain't super exciting. I was expecting to see a few more names. Also, I was wondering was Dr. Toldson going to take another shot.

As I understand it, several potential applicants were deterred due to inability of the search committee to guarantee non-disclosure of their identity for a time certain. Much of the progress SU has experienced in recent years was achieved under the leaderhip of a Republican legislature. The addition of three new PhD. programs, its designation in December, 2021 by the Carnegie Foundation as a "Doctoral Research-Intensive University" (only the 11th HBCU to be so bestowed), the progression of the Nursing School, the Law Center, the Mandela School of Public Policy, plans for nearly one billion dollars in new construction over the next 10 years, all are strides that will not be turned back regardless of who sits in the Governor's office. SU cannot afford to allow regression on these important advancements,

Last edited:
The addition of three new PhD. programs, its designation in December, 2021 by the Carnegie Foundation as a "Doctoral Research-Intensive University" (only the 11th HBCU to be so bestowed),

Last month, the Carnegie Classification of Institutes of Higher Education was updated.

The Carnegie Classification is a framework for ranking universities based on their research activity, and the most coveted designations are "R1" and "R2." — R1 signifies universities with "very high research activity," The R2 classification is for institutions with "high research activity."

The 2021 Carnegie Classification assessed over 3,000 post-secondary institutions in the new update. Of this number, precisely 100 were HBCUs. Sadly, three of these HBCUs—Hampton, Delaware State, and Texas Southern—lost their R2 designations in this new update. However, ten of the HBCUs either newly achieved or maintained R2 status. To acknowledge this great news, here's a list of ten HBCUs that the Carnegie Classification designated as R2 institutions:

Southern is not a R2 yet, when they presented the master plan, it was discuss that SU will be applying for R2 status next year. This is part of the overall master plan on the academic front.

Southern is not a R2 yet, when they presented the master plan, it was discuss that SU will be applying for R2 status next year. This is part of the overall master plan on the academic front.
According to the article posted above they are

I meant to say in the new year, the board meeting was the week of Bayou Classic in NOLA, talking about their new status for next year 2022

Carnegie classifications are updated every 3 years so SU will be R2 until the next update

The Southern University Board of Supervisors today named Dr. Dennis Shields as its next President of the Southern University System and Chancellor of the Baton Rouge campus. Dr. Shields is a lawyer that received his law degree (J.D.) from the University of Iowa Law School. He currently serves as the Chancellor of the University of Wisconsin at Plaitteville.

Last edited:
While he has spent the last six weeks visiting the various campuses of the Southern University System and interacting with students and other local stakeholders, today was perhaps the first opportunity for those stakeholders more widely scattered, together with the SU community at large to get to better know the incoming President of the Southern University System and Chancellor of the BR campus. His commencement dialogue was short but inspiring ,and one that I think every stakeholder would appreciate hearing. Therefore, I have posted it here for your viewing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXALl1qH8sI

Last edited:
Back