SCSU punches it's ticket to the Celebration Bowl

It LITERALLY happened last year with Houston (3-4) and Mississippi State a few years ago.

I did a Google search and saw that 3 teams (hail State being one of them) in 2016 had a .500 or below record.

That would qualify as quite often

In order for an FBS team to officially become bowl-eligible, it needs at least six wins with a minimum winning percentage of .500. A total of 82 teams are needed to fill all 41 bowl games. Teams can only count one win against an FCS opponent toward the total number of wins needed for bowl eligibility.

It has happened before. It does not happen all the time. It has happened 15 times in 75 years. 7 of those happened in 2020 because there wasn't enough teams to fill bowl openings so the eligibility requirements were waived. When something happens on average once every 10 years it's not considered "quite often" and SCSU making the Celebration Bowl with a losing record is still very much an anamoly. 😁😁

I can admit when I'm SLIGHTLY incorrect but I will go down swinging

Last edited:
I think this will be the eventual end of the Celebration Bowl. The MEAC does not have a team that is a real draw to come down to the Celebration Bowl. South Carolina State will do okay, but God forbid if Deleware State, Morgan, or even Howard was to win….We will be a long way for reaching 30k+

I think this will be the eventual end of the Celebration Bowl. The MEAC does not have a team that is a real draw to come down to the Celebration Bowl. South Carolina State will do okay, but God forbid if Deleware State, Morgan, or even Howard was to win….We will be a long way for reaching 30k+
Bowl games (which are all run by ESPN except the Sun Bowl) do not care about attendance.

This is common knowledge that ESPN Events doesn't care about attendance.

John Grant said that ESPN flat out told him that they don't care about it. The attendance thing is for HBCU chest bumping purposes but they only care about the ratings.

This is common knowledge that ESPN Events doesn't care about attendance.

John Grant said that ESPN flat out told him that they don't care about it. The attendance thing is for HBCU chest bumping purposes but they only care about the ratings.

Exactly. As long as people watch they are ok. And ESPN has it set up that the CB kicks off Bowl Season and it's at noon on ABC. Folks will tune in

Bowl ain't going no where. It survived without a title sponsor. As long as ESPN wants it , And it looks like long term they do .... it will be there

Bowl ain't going no where. It survived without a title sponsor. As long as ESPN wants it , And it looks like long term they do .... it will be there
.............For now... without attendance eventually ratings will drop and ESPN will be no where to be found.

My bad ....... didn't realize Bahamas Bowl featured two HBCUS.
It's not. And I'm sure you know this, but it's played on a island loaded with "us." But that isn't the point. The bowl game is owned by ESPN. It not about attendance. It about viewership.

Back