SCOTUS rules that NCAA rules barring student athlete education-related benefits violate federal antitrust laws

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I agree with SCOTUS's decision. NOW, all they need to do is reduce/redirect those LAVISH coaches' salaries by 20 to 30 percent or so to fund these new benefits to now be paid to players. One of the justices remarked that the NCAA's business model bordered on being illegal. And I agree! For a comparative analysis, if you will, compare a major college NCAA football game to a major motion picture producton. In the movie production, on the one hand, the actors, producers, writers, sound technicians, and others all get paid for their contributions to the production. Imagine what it would look like if only the handful of producers and directors got paid, while the many actors and others worked for free. In a NCAA college football game, on the other hand, the 160 or so players (both teams) down on the football field, the central figures (the actors) in the game being played, do not get paid. They are the people without whom the production would not go forth. They do not share in the millions of dollars being generated on the backs of their participation in the game via ticket sales, TV rights, etc. Those millions are instead used to fund lavish coaches' salaries, athletic venues, and other athletic teams and venues at major universities. The athletes themselves are the million-dollar generators, and those millions are one reason why schools such as LSU are able to pay a HC a salary in excess of $7M per year, and offer million-dollar gigs to a bevy of associate and assistant coaches and other athletic personnel, while the players, aside from their scholly benefts, work for free.

I know we want this badly for obvious reasons. I want this. This will however have adverse effects on the little man. The larger schools would love to move their dark money into the light. Less liability on them. They aren’t against paying the players. They’ve been paying them.
Agreed. Creativity and fundraising need to be at lil B level...based AF.

Back