Scandal rocks Jackson church

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOD may be cleaning house (no pun intended)! But I will say that as long as there is a church AND ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO ARE GROWING FINANCIALLY, QUICKLY then there will always be those who will be lured into stealing money.

I've been in meetings all day and just had a chance to get back here. I never said that the church was commanded or demanded to pay tithes. I said that it is important that we should give a tithe to the church since we are the church. Paul states that believers should set aside a portion of their income in order to support the church (1 Corinthians 16:1-2).

1 Corinthians 16:1-2
1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.

2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Nowhere does the New Testament demand or mandate a certain percentage of income to set aside, but only says it is to be “in keeping with his incomeâ€￾ (1 Corinthians 16:2). The Christian church has essentially taken the 10% figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimumâ€￾ for Christians in their giving. Although the New Testament does not identify a specific amount or percentage to give, it does talk about the importance and benefits of giving. They should give as they are able, in keeping with his income, or as Paul says; "as God hath prospered him". Sometimes that means giving more than a tithe, sometime that may mean giving less than a tithe. It all depends on the ability of the Christian and the needs of the church. Each and every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom as to whether to participate in tithing and/or for how much he or she should give (James 1:5). “Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.â€￾ (2 Corinthians 9:7). Again, since everything belongs to God, wouldn't it make sense give God at least 10%, if not more. If you trust God, it shouldn't be a problem. I know all about, "I gotta pay my bills," BUT GOD!!!!!!! BUT GOD!!!!!!!! Trust GOD!!!!!!! Hope we're getting somewhere with this!!!!!

You Still have not shown a scripture where
We, the church are commanded to pay tithe today.

You have not even shown a scripture where tithing is even possible today.

We both have a Bible let’s get into them

You show me Scripture and I’ll stand corrected, and will
Thank you for helping me with the Word.

you seem to be making leaps about Jacobs situation, and
suggesting his situation will work for you. That's an assumption
not a command from God, like many pastors preach.

I've been in meetings all day and just had a chance to get back here. I never said that the church was commanded or demanded to pay tithes. I said that it is important that we should give a tithe to the church since we are the church. Paul states that believers should set aside a portion of their income in order to support the church (1 Corinthians 16:1-2).

1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.

2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Nowhere does the New Testament demand or mandate a certain percentage of income to set aside, but only says it is to be “in keeping with his income” (1 Corinthians 16:2). The Christian church has essentially taken the 10% figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum” for Christians in their giving. Although the New Testament does not identify a specific amount or percentage to give, it does talk about the importance and benefits of giving. They should give as they are able, in keeping with his income, or as Paul says; "as God hath prospered him". Sometimes that means giving more than a tithe, sometime that may mean giving less than a tithe. It all depends on the ability of the Christian and the needs of the church. Each and every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom as to whether to participate in tithing and/or for how much he or she should give (James 1:5). “Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.” (2 Corinthians 9:7). Again, since everything belongs to God, wouldn't it make sense give God at least 10%, if not more. If you trust God, it shouldn't be a problem. I know all about, "I gotta pay my bills," BUT GOD!!!!!!! BUT GOD!!!!!!!! Trust GOD!!!!!!! Hope we're getting somewhere with this!!!!!

Man.. I'll say this and leave it alone...

When you go to taking parts out of the old testiment and new to try to make sense of something.. it ain't right....

The Bible is written. follow in the content and passage as it is delivered...

you don't have to jump around the book to understand the 10 commandments do you?

Reading the bible is just like reading any book... follow the book.. don't try to cut and paste....this is what many church leaders have done to manipulate people into doing what they ask of them..

Last edited:
After reading all this stuff about Long, preachers and church scandals, I am sooooooooooooo, so glad I have a relationship with my heavenly Father. I ain't got to wonder or solely depend on the "preached Word." But I can go to God for myself and get the answers I need and want.

After reading all this stuff about Long, preachers and church scandals, I am sooooooooooooo, so glad I have a relationship with my heavenly Father. I ain't got to wonder or solely depend on the "preached Word." But I can go to God for myself and get the answers I need and want.

:tup: :)

Nowhere does the New Testament demand or mandate a certain percentage of income to set aside, but only says it is to be “in keeping with his income†(1 Corinthians 16:2). The Christian church has essentially taken the 10% figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum†for Christians in their giving. Although the New Testament does not identify a specific amount or percentage to give, it does talk about the importance and benefits of giving. They should give as they are able, in keeping with his income, or as Paul says; "as God hath prospered him". Sometimes that means giving more than a tithe, sometime that may mean giving less than a tithe. It all depends on the ability of the Christian and the needs of the church. Each and every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom as to whether to participate in tithing and/or for how much he or she should give (James 1:5). “Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.†(2 Corinthians 9:7). Again, since everything belongs to God, wouldn't it make sense give God at least 10%, if not more. If you trust God, it shouldn't be a problem. I know all about, "I gotta pay my bills," BUT GOD!!!!!!! BUT GOD!!!!!!!! Trust GOD!!!!!!! Hope we're getting somewhere with this!!!!!

Yes! we have Finally got there, You are one
Of the few tithe thumpers to finally admit
That tithing is not a command for today’s church

Even if you don’t understand how tithing today is impossible
and you are Still caught up in percentages.
You atleast admit it’s not a command for today’s church

But so many “preachers†tell that lie every Sunday

In closing

If anyone is not giving to the church, and the church is not a building
It’s people.

Then they should have their head examined.

Peace to ya!

You don't join a church to give to people. You join a church to be properly equipped to spread the gospel and to resource others to do the same.

Dacon. you don't have to join a church to do that... If you have the bible and the good sense to read and comprehend and ask God to give you understanding... that's all you need to gospel and resource others to do the same... you don't HAVE to join a church for that.

So you don't have a church home. Why?

Dacon. you don't have to join a church to do that... If you have the bible and the good sense to read and comprehend and ask God to give you understanding... that's all you need to gospel and resource others to do the same... you don't HAVE to join a church for that.

So you don't have a church home. Why?

I have a church I called home.... Which is a catholic church.. I grew up Catholic (my father) mother is Baptist.... When I got older, I did research and didn't agree with a good bit of the teachings in the church.. What really made me leave was the fact Catholic Church don't believe in Bible Study...

They want you to read these lil paper back books they make and read with the priest as he give his stories to Sundays lesson. but Bible Study is forbidden in the Catholic Church.... Some of them still do it..

And Baptist mainly because of the wierd spirit I get from most those that in most Baptist churches.. not all but I can't put my spirit around a lot of hypocrites.. JUDGEMENTAL hypocrites at that..I don't like all the performing, jumping up and down.. I don't like all of that.. Just read the bible for what ever Sundays lesson is about and be done...

I never said that tithing was a requirement. I clearly understand giving vs. tithing. That's my choice. People always want to "ride" on that excuse of "we're not under the Law." Just want to coast along so they don't have to do something about it. The tithe was instituted 400 years before God even gave the Law to Moses. Check out Abraham and those boys living back during that time before the Law. Those boys were tithers, and God had no problem giving them exceeding abundantly above all they could ask or think. Just think about how prosperous God wants you to be if you obey what He says. But, it's your choice to obey or disobey. To think that I'm jumping all over the Bible, that's not true. I gave you scriptural references to tithing and giving from both the OT and the NT. This is simple, if you trust God, then don't worry about giving to his Church!!!!! He gives you common sense to making decisions of what Church that you should give to where you are being spiritually fed so you won't be taken advantage of. That's just like your job and payday. You trust that your employer will pay you every 2 wks if you show up for work and do your job, right? God works that way!!!!! He will reward those that diligently seek Him and obey Him!!!!!! Real Talk!!!!

Yes! we have Finally got there, You are one
Of the few tithe thumpers to finally admit
That tithing is not a command for today’s church

Even if you don’t understand how tithing today is impossible
and you are Still caught up in percentages.
You atleast admit it’s not a command for today’s church

But so many “preachers” tell that lie every Sunday

In closing

If anyone is not giving to the church, and the church is not a building
It’s people.

Then they should have their head examined.

Peace to ya!

And that is where you err, my dear friend. As members in the body of Christ, we are not designed to be alone but connected to other believers: always. For a simple picture, think of your index finger being severed from your hand. If it is not soon reattached, it will die. Such analogies are given in the scripture for the express purpose of us understanding how much we need each other.

"Forsake not the assembly of others......"

And that is where you err, my dear friend. As members in the body of Christ, we are not designed to be alone but connected to other believers: always. For a simple picture, think of your index finger being severed from your hand. If it is not soon reattached, it will die. Such analogies are given in the scripture for the express purpose of us understanding how much we need each other.

I never said that tithing was a requirement. I clearly understand giving vs. tithing. That's my choice. People always want to "ride" on that excuse of "we're not under the Law." Just want to coast along so they don't have to do something about it. The tithe was instituted 400 years before God even gave the Law to Moses. Check out Abraham and those boys living back during that time before the Law. Those boys were tithers, and God had no problem giving them exceeding abundantly above all they could ask or think. Just think about how prosperous God wants you to be if you obey what He says. But, it's your choice to obey or disobey. To think that I'm jumping all over the Bible, that's not true. I gave you scriptural references to tithing and giving from both the OT and the NT. This is simple, if you trust God, then don't worry about giving to his Church!!!!! He gives you common sense to making decisions of what Church that you should give to where you are being spiritually fed so you won't be taken advantage of. That's just like your job and payday. You trust that your employer will pay you every 2 wks if you show up for work and do your job, right? God works that way!!!!! He will reward those that diligently seek Him and obey Him!!!!!! Real Talk!!!!

Listen you’ve agreed with me on the only point I was making
Giving 10% of your income is not a command from God to todays church.

Please don’t go right back posting in circles saying stuff like

“The tithe was instituted 400 years before God even gave the Law to Moses.”

When we’ve been to the Scripture and saw the only two instances of pre-Mosaic tithe being mention and none of them have anything to do with what you’re trying to call tithing today

“Check out Abraham and those boys living back during that time before the Law.”

You sound like a "sound bite" preacher “Check out Abraham and those boys living back during that time before the Law”

NO

Let’s go to the Scriptures and Read exactly what Abraham was doing (spoils of war)
And see if it is the same thing you’re trying to do now.

"it's your choice to obey or disobey"

This is a Popular cliché thrown out most of the time with no meaning, just to
make someone follow a false doctrine out of fear.

Obey or Disobey what? should be the response to that cliché

God hasn’t command today’s church
To pay a tithe so what are you talkin' about? Do you even know?

Please Stay on Scripture and Not these non- Biblical clichés

Thank you.

Last edited:

I don't have to belong to a church to not be alone...lol come on man.... I participae in bible study quite often and it isn't in a church... Nothing against it... But it's not what I choose..

Man some of you guys are so churched, but not Biblical

I could make a topic about anything, Deacons, the Lord's Supper,

seems like almost anything, and I'll get hit with what your church or what your pastor does

THEN

When we go the the Bible to see if it lines up with what's written

It seems like you never read that.

I guess your pastor told you Noah put 2 of ever animal on the ark also.

Wrong and I'm not gonna tell you the answer

GO LOOK it up for yourself ~sheesh

Dude, again, I never said that 10% of your income is a command from God to today's church. I'm just giving facts. Remember, tithing back in those days were land, livestock, etc. that was given as an increase. This was considered their tithe. That's scripture. There are definitely more than 2 Scritural references to tithing in the Pre-Mosaic Era. I'm not going to apologize how I reference situations or people. I definitely don't have to quote a pastor unless he speaks the truth. We can go to Scripture and read about Abraham and you'll see exactly what he did. Everyone has a choice to do what they want regarding giving. It would be great if you stop categorizing statements as "cliche" when it's a fact to choose. I want to help you know the truth and not follow a false doctrine, but you can still choose. I would go to Hell if I did anything against God's Word!!!! And I'm not going to Hell for you nor anyone else. When the Lord said in Joshua 24:15, "Choose you this day whom ye will serve......", what was that? A choice from God!!!!! I'll continue to stay on point with Scripture and my explanation. It's your choice to agree or not.

Listen you’ve agreed with me on the only point I was making
Giving 10% of your income is not a command from God to todays church.

Please don’t go right back posting in circles saying stuff like

“The tithe was instituted 400 years before God even gave the Law to Moses.”

When we’ve been to the Scripture and saw the only two instances of pre-Mosaic tithe being mention and none of them have anything to do with what you’re trying to call tithing today

“Check out Abraham and those boys living back during that time before the Law.”

You sound like a "sound bite" preacher “Check out Abraham and those boys living back during that time before the Law”

NO

Let’s go to the Scriptures and Read exactly what Abraham was doing (spoils of war)
And see if it is the same thing you’re trying to do now.

"it's your choice to obey or disobey"

This is a Popular cliché thrown out most of the time with no meaning, just to
make someone follow a false doctrine out of fear.

Obey or Disobey what? should be the response to that cliché

God hasn’t command today’s church
To pay a tithe so what are you talkin' about? Do you even know?

Please Stay on Scripture and Not these non- Biblical clichés

Thank you.

Last edited:
Do you have a church home?

Man some of you guys are so churched, but not Biblical

I could make a topic about anything, Deacons, the Lord's Supper,

seems like almost anything, and I'll get hit with what your church or what your pastor does

THEN

When we go the the Bible to see if it lines up with what's written

It seems like you never read that.

I guess your pastor told you Noah put 2 of ever animal on the ark also.

Wrong and I'm not gonna tell you the answer

GO LOOK it up for yourself ~sheesh

There are definitely more than 2 Scritural references to tithing in the Pre-Mosaic Era. .

Prove it.

1. Abraham's tithing on spoils of War
2. Jacob saying if God does stuff for him first he'll tithe

Show me a third instance were tithe was mention Before the Mosaic law of tithing

You do that and I'll stand corrected, in the meantime I'll be waiting
you find it then show it to me so I can learn something.

Do you have a church home?

of course.

The giving practices of Cain and Abel - (Genesis 4:3-7)

Prove it.

1. Abraham's tithing on spoils of War
2. Jacob saying if God does stuff for him first he'll tithe

Show me a third instance were tithe was mention Before the Mosaic law of tithing

You do that and I'll stand corrected, in the meantime I'll be waiting
you find it then show it to me so I can learn something.

of course.

The giving practices of Cain and Abel - (Genesis 4:3-7)

Look in your Bible are you really going to say that the Bible says
Cain and Able were tithing?

or does your copy of the Bible really use the words "giving" or "offering"

look good for me. Cause "giving" and "offering" are voluntary acts

The tithe is something different

Now what word does your Bible really use? Be honest..lol...we all have the internet

Are you kiddin' me? Dude, I have "honestly" given you several examples and I guess it's not good enough for you. This is why sometimes I don't try to explain what I know and have studied to "know-it-all" Christians. You thought there were only 2 references to the Pre-Mosaic tithe and you were incorrect. Now this. This is getting to be a bit petty. Here I am giving you Biblical reference and want to question the validity of it. What Bible are you reading? Do you study the interpretation of a scripture for a deeper meaning? Let me help you. Get a study Bible. Maybe you already have one. I don't know, but this is unbelievable. Ok, here we go. Here's the scripture: "And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD. And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering." It may say offering, but do you see the word "firstlings?" That is the reference as the tithe. The time for giving to God followed the harvest season. At this time tithes were given, with offerings as an added gift. My goodness!!!!! I know that you'll have something to say about this. I'm really trying to help you, but you can't fight the truth!!!! My pastor didn't tell me, nor did some "TV" evangelist tell me. I found it through study and research.

Look in your Bible are you really going to say that the Bible says
Cain and Able were tithing?

or does your copy of the Bible really use the words "giving" or "offering"

look good for me. Cause "giving" and "offering" are voluntary acts

The tithe is something different

Now what word does your Bible really use? Be honest..lol...we all have the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back