Scandal rocks Jackson church

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bane

The Vilian
I wonder how many folks got rich off of these people.

Scandal rocks Jackson church

A Jackson megachurch that once had one of the city's largest African-American congregations is trying to shake off revelations of financial mismanagement and regain the trust of members.

But religion experts said Word of Faith Christian Center Church off Clinton Boulevard faces a multitude of challenges.

Church membership has plummeted from a few thousand to fewer than 1,500. The drop follows news the church is $431,000 in debt and that local leaders mishandled assets, causing - among other things - the church to shut down its popular multi-purpose athletic facility in northeast Jackson.

"Americans today shop for churches, and even religions, the way they shop at malls," said James Bowley, a religious studies professor at Millsaps College in Jackson. "If they don't like a place, they'll just drive down the street to another church."

Many members have left the nondenominational Word of Faith since learning of its unkempt financial condition.

In August, church officials abruptly closed the Mississippi Basketball and Athletics complex on Westbrook Road.

In February, they told members that senior Pastor Kevin Wright was on leave because of a "moral issue." They since have replaced him "due to his moral failure."

Word of Faith officials have not returned phone calls seeking comment about the disclosures - outlined in a Sept. 9 news release from Bishop Keith Butler, leader of the Jackson congregation's headquarters church, Word of Faith International Christian Center in Southfield, Mich.

In his statement, Butler said, "Clearly, business and financial operations of the ministry were extremely and poorly handled. ... The business manager for the ministry at that time failed to run an efficient and proper operation."

Jeffery Lewis is the church's former manager and was financial officer for the MBA facility.

Following Sunday worship service on Sept. 19, church officials announced to the congregation that the Wrights and Lewis had, at one time, formed the nonprofit Word of Faith Foundation.

The foundation owned and operated MBA, including its after-school program and other church programs.

After the church threatened litigation, the Wrights signed MBA over to the church, church members were told. But as of last Sunday, Lewis had not.

Kevin Wright and Lewis could not be reached for comment.

Such a breach of trust can affect not only a person's faith in the church but also his faith in God, said Scott Thumma, a researcher and author at the Hartford Institute for Religion Research in Connecticut.

"When trust is broken, it takes a long time to repair it," he said. "One of the ways to repair it is to deal with it openly, not brush it under the table."

Church officials have not accused Wright or anyone else of theft, claiming instead that "ministry finances were in disarray."

Source

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
"Americans today shop for churches, and even religions, the way they shop at malls," said James Bowley, a religious studies professor at Millsaps College in Jackson. "If they don't like a place, they'll just drive down the street to another church."

This statement is very true. I know everyone has the right to "shop around" until they find a Church that "fits" him/her. But what gets me is when someone finds a Church and be like, "Pastor So&So is off da chain. YOu should come visit with me. He preaches a wonderful sermon, the choir is good, etc. I'm going to join this Church...". Then like 4 months later they are saying the exact same thing about another Church.

I have been church shopping in the DMV for two years now. The first church I attended here had me more involved than I have ever been in my life, I must admit. However, it was too new school for me and I felt that the sermons never really went deep. He was doing a lot of community outreach though and got a lot of people in the church out the streets though. Since then, I found a church that I really like the choir and pastor but they are planning to move further out in the suburbs now. Right now, I am on the brink of deciding between two churches and have been praying and going back and forth. One of them, I really like the pastor but the other one has one of the best choirs that I have ever heard in my life.

This statement is very true. I know everyone has the right to "shop around" until they find a Church that "fits" him/her. But what gets me is when someone finds a Church and be like, "Pastor So&So is off da chain. YOu should come visit with me. He preaches a wonderful sermon, the choir is good, etc. I'm going to join this Church...". Then like 4 months later they are saying the exact same thing about another Church.

Your statement is also very true Casey. While people are "shopping around" for a church home, they should be praying & asking God for HIS direction as to where they should become a member. Yes while a good choir & a good hoop from the preacher is cool here & there, the ultimate thing is a person's soul. No nobody is perfect, but if you visit a church and you like what you witness, go to GOD & pray for his direction and ask HIM if that's where HE wants you to be. Does GOD want you to be under Pastor So&So's covering? That's what a lot of people fail to do and find themselves church hopping.

It's good to belong to a church where your spirit feels right... but if you can't find that church, there is no where in the bible where it says you MUST belong to a church...

You have friends and a bible ..have bible study/discussions.... those are equally as fulfilling.... might not have the big choir and bands and all... but that's not needed...

It's good to belong to a church where your spirit feels right... but if you can't find that church, there is no where in the bible where it says you MUST belong to a church...

You have friends and a bible ..have bible study/discussions.... those are equally as fulfilling.... might not have the big choir and bands and all... but that's not needed...

Nah.

Church is entertainment these days. Church is not about serving God. It's about feel-good sermons, sangin' and social opportunities. Gotta shop around for the best sangin' and shoutin'. Bible study? Are you kidding? :lol:

Again.
Fools, their money, and blind, almost fanatical belief.
Have faith but use some common sense when BS pop's you in the face. These MEGA Church's are nothing more than cash cows for con artist. Why can't people see that. :smh:

Sad part is, the flock is going to continue to serve themselves up to be fleeced at this on and at the one in Atlanta. :smh:

Last edited:
Your statement is also very true Casey. While people are "shopping around" for a church home, they should be praying & asking God for HIS direction as to where they should become a member.

True.
I gotta go where my soul is being fed, and I MUST FEEL the spirit of God. And I wanna be somewhere where the pastor cares about souls being saved and delivered and not just talking about financial prosperity. I've been at my church since my move to Atlanta six years ago, and I still love it there. LOVE it!

Nah.

Church is entertainment these days. Church is not about serving God. It's about feel-good sermons, sangin' and social opportunities. Gotta shop around for the best sangin' and shoutin'. Bible study? Are you kidding? :lol:
lmao...

You a trip man...hey but you ain't lying... that's the mind-set of many..

Again.
Have faith but use some common sense when BS pop's you in the face. These MEGA Church's are nothing more than cash cows for con artist. Why can't people see that. :smh:

Sad part is, the flock is going to continue to serve themselves up to be fleeced at this on and at the one in Atlanta. :smh:

Sad thing is his flock will grow... I think more punks will join up now!

There needs to be a MILLION BLACK man march against these PIMPS!

True.
I gotta go where my soul is being fed, and I MUST FEEL the spirit of God. And I wanna be somewhere where the pastor cares about souls being saved and delivered and not just talking about financial prosperity. I've been at my church since my move to Atlanta six years ago, and I still love it there. LOVE it!

It's good you found a place where your soul feels feed....
But I have a question... Do you feel you have to find a place where a pastor cares?

What I don't understand is.. folks with good knowlegde of the bible thinking MAN will get them into heaven...

But I feel you on the notion... if belonging to a church family was something my soul wants you do want to belong to a church where the pastor makes you feel like you aren't being taken advantage of...

Again.

Speaking for myself because I do belong to a "mega-church", I go where GOD has told me and got me involved to help. I don't go for the pastor, choir, etc..When I had this medical emergency issue this summer, I did not call the pastor, choir, etc..I called family, friends, etc. and I was covered from all regions. The prayer ministry from my "megachurch" came over, called me in the hospital and at home and we prayed,

Some probably go just for the pastor, etc.., which is something they will have to answer to, I don't feel pressured to give up money that I don't have, I give when I am able

It's good you found a place where your soul feels feed....
But I have a question... Do you feel you have to find a place where a pastor cares?

What I don't understand is.. folks with good knowlegde of the bible thinking MAN will get them into heaven...

But I feel you on the notion... if belonging to a church family was something my soul wants you do want to belong to a church where the pastor makes you feel like you aren't being taken advantage of...

I feel like if I'm under a pastor who cares about folks' souls then he's more God-spirit led, in my opinion. Not that I put 100% into ANY man, but he (the pastor) should care; he's the shepherd over our souls.

Feel good/prosperity messages are aight, but I wanna know how I can stay saved when there's evil and temptations all around. I'm pretty mature in my relationship with Christ (got saved when I was 16), but I don't know everything there is to know. Sure, I can study the Word for myself, and I listen for God when I heard the Word, so I hopefuly interpret what's right. But I still need/want to be encouraged (through my church/pastor), and I want spiritual growth. So for me, I just prefer a pastor who is more concerned about salvation then showing people who to get that new house and be debt free. To me, those things that we naturally desire come (and stay) when we put God first. I wanna see people get saved, be delivered and start putting more trust in God when they're at that alter surrending to God. And I see Kingdom business every Sunday when my pastor and his elders/missionaries are praying for us. It ain't no play thang, as it should be. Don't tell me a feel-good/prosperity message, and I'm still stuck in the place. People need to seek God first and watch Him work on their behalf when they put their trust in God and not man.

I need a church that is making a difference in the community around them and a pastor that keeps it real. I loved New Jerusalem when I was in Jackson

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
As I've said many times before, I've BEEN allergic to today's organized religions that are self-serving at best.

However i must COMMEND this church investigator who is laying this stuff out there where nobody can miss it. The fact that the pastor and CFO conspired to on the surface, have the church provide these services, yet underneath, they've made themselves owners...definitely a breach of trust and morality. They did right to put them out there like they did. What I do find funny but not surprissing is that the pastor has signed back over all his rights to the properties, but the CFO hasn't. Greedy MFer to the end! :lol: :smh:

I wish them (church) well...

Man niqqas love cliches, and they are quick to get cliched up about
a church, If they think the in crowd is there.

Be in church every Sunday, participate in all that extra stuff, and nothing
changes about how they live their life.

and please don't ask them about the Bible
cause if it's not a verse their pastor yells out, that they can
recite with little understanding they won't know what you're talking about.

I'm thinking about leaving the church I have going to since I was a baby because I'm questioning the doctrine being taught. At this point in my life I don't care too much about how hot the choir is or if the preacher is bringing down the house with his sermons. I want to join a church that emphasizes teaching sound doctrine, and how I can be a better Christian for God and help others. Not so much about financial prosperity and feel good stuff.

When people see the PREACHERS at these churches giving away 5 figure gifts of cash and presents to other preachers within' that church just for "showing up", that should be a warning bell to get out of dodge. The Preacher in charge if this church in Jackson gave the "leader" a customized golf cart and $10,000 just because he showed up. Dude was buying land with church money and the church didn't even own the property that was bought. Nobody was given access to financial records either...............Another big azz red flag.

Give me a break. :smh:

Last edited:
a bentley?

how many Kia sportages could you buy for single mothers relying on public transport to get by day- to-day
instead of a bentley?

Man niqqas love cliches, and they are quick to get cliched up about
a church, If they think the in crowd is there.

Be in church every Sunday, participate in all that extra stuff, and nothing
changes about how they live their life.

and please don't ask them about the Bible
cause if it's not a verse their pastor yells out, that they can
recite with little understanding they won't know what you're talking about.

Tony i bet they know that "judge not" or "he who is without sin cast the first stone" verse; forget the rest of the bible but i bet they can say that verse in their sleep

Aren't you suppose to belong to a local church for accountability sake? When you pay your tithes, to what church do you pay them to?

Last edited:
Black people really do need to rise up against these pimps...

They are the ones HURTING our poor black people...

And we think it's the republican party....lmao

Aren't you suppose to belong to local church for accountability sake? When you pay your tithes, to what church do you pay them to?

I pay tithes through various charities.... When I give a homeless man money for something to eat.. When I bring clothes to those at the Bridge House down here in New Orleans...

That's part of the problem right there... The bible is there for ANY and everyone to read...

If you have poor understanding than I understand "needing" a pastor and a church.... But I don't need no one to interpret words for me that I can understand on my own..

Not saying others should do as I do... but that's me...
:tup:

Tony i bet they know that "judge not" or "he who is without sin cast the first stone" verse; forget the rest of the bible but i bet they can say that verse in their sleep

them Pimps will sing the versus they know will benefit them over and over..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back