San Jose's Hill resignsafter four seasons

Jafus (Thinker)

Associated Press

San Jose's Hill resignsafter four seasons

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1929317

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- San Jose State football coach Fitz Hill resigned Monday after four seasons, but will coach the Spartans' season finale against Fresno State.

Hill, one of five black coaches in Division I, is 14-32 at San Jose State, including 2-8 this year. Frustrated with a lack of support from fans, students and the school, he is leaving to become an instructor at Central Florida.

The Spartans have fallen short in several big games during the tenure of Hill, who has a doctoral degree in higher education, but had never been a head coach before San Jose State hired the former Arkansas assistant in 2001.

Earlier this month, San Jose State took unbeaten Boise State to double overtime before the Broncos extended their winning streak to 20 games with a 56-49 victory. While going 6-7 last season, the Spartans lost last-second decisions to Rice and Hawaii, costing them bowl eligibility.

San Jose State beat Rice 70-63 this season, with the teams setting the Division I record for scoring.

But the football program has been under scrutiny from the NCAA for weak home attendance, which could jeopardize its Division I status. The school's Academic Senate wants the Spartans to leave the Western Athletic Conference, claiming the team's relatively meager budget still uses too much of the school's resources.

The Spartans will finish their season at home Saturday against bowl-bound Fresno State.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
He never had the required support @ the I-A level out there anyway. Interesting time though. lol ::winking @ GSU:: lol

I wouldn't be surprised if sjsu didn't dismantle their football program altogether.

Fritz Hill should look at going to a HBCU college because his policies would work better in an environment where there are more black folk. He was like a fish out of water in San Jose... the high school coaches didn't send him recruits, he made some seriously poor recruiting errors.

He may never had the support but why do our black coaches always end up at the bottom fileder schools. It seem as though we have to take the miss. st, sjsu and others while the elite schools who need coaches look elsewhere to get a coach. Burell is the only one at a school with any real history to it at ucla and how long will he head coach there ????

I wonder what's to happen with Kenwick Thompson who served as Linebackers Coach and Recruiting Coordinator? He was our Defensive Coordinator at Texas Southern. He's a solid coach who'll land on his feet somewhere.

*calling Steve Wilson now*

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
I know him personally...and he has a love for Grambling.

Hmm......interesting. (Thanks Jafus)

Might not be a bad move for both GSU and JSU to go after this guy.

C-LeB28 said:
I wonder what's to happen with Kenwick Thompson who served as Linebackers Coach and Recruiting Coordinator? He was our Defensive Coordinator at Texas Southern. He's a solid coach who'll land on his feet somewhere.

*calling Steve Wilson now*
Agreeing with you. Kenwick is a solid coach who I think would've done a solid job if was hired as the head man at TSU. Fitz is a great man and a great teacher, who I know will be alright as an instuctor at Central Florida. SJSU also has a former Grambling coordinator on it's staff (Earl Buckingham) who might be a good hire for the G-Men.

63918_Hill2003.jpg

and seeing Spartan Stadium overflowing with fans for the 2003 Literacy Classic with Grambling State. The ‘Classic’ was Fitz’s initiative and stemmed from his belief in not just developing athletes, but developing well-rounded student-athletes. We especially appreciated his philosophy, because that is what San Jose State is all about," says San Jose State University interim president Don Kassing.
At San Jose State University, Hill has a 14-32 win-loss coaching record prior to November 27 game against Fresno State. Under his leadership, the team’s best win-loss record was 6-7 in 2002 marking only the second time since 1993 the Spartans won at least six games in a season. San Jose State defeated Big Ten Conference defending champion University of Illinois as one of four road wins that year. Arguably, the team came within one play in the final game of the season of producing a winning record and earning the school’s first post-season bowl appearance since 1990. Espn.com and The Sporting News lauded the San Jose State coach for generating one of college football’s best "turn-arounds" despite being one of only two Division I-A schools to play 13 games in 13 weeks and travel more than 24,000 miles for nine road games. One of those road games was against Ohio State – the eventual 2002 national champion.

"Without struggle, there is no progress. When I arrived here in December of 2000, there were good things in place, but the foundation was not as strong as it needed to be for the long term. We have made progress in many areas of the football program at San Jose State," says the out-going Spartan coach.

"Next year will be the first time in school history that the Spartan football program can have 85 players on scholarship. It was a gradual building and planning process when I arrived to begin with 60 or so scholarship players in December 2000 and formulate and execute a plan to meet today’s NCAA Division I-A football scholarship requirement. In 2005, San Jose State will have one of its largest senior classes ever and that senior class will be heavily populated by players who have been at the school three or four years. These players are going to be a solid foundation for the next head coach. http://www.sjsuspartans.com/article.asp?articleid=63918
The Spartans have fallen short in several big games during the tenure of Hill, who has a doctoral degree in higher education, but had never been a head coach before San Jose State hired the former Arkansas assistant in 2001.
I know that everyone has to start somewhere, but starting out as a head coach with no head coaching experience anywhere on ANY level, is SUPER hard on anyone. Just because he has a doctoral degree, does NOT always mean that he can coach or RECRUIT well. However, when one has to rebuild a Division 1-A program starting with only 60 or so scholarships, says that he was making solid progress with that program.

I wish him all of the best in his future.

Take Care!

STC_60 said:
He may never had the support but why do our black coaches always end up at the bottom fileder schools. It seem as though we have to take the miss. st, sjsu and others while the elite schools who need coaches look elsewhere to get a coach. Burell is the only one at a school with any real history to it at ucla and how long will he head coach there ????

What about Ty Willingham?

STC_60 said:
Burell is the only one at a school with any real history to it at ucla and how long will he head coach there ????

:confused:

Was Willingham fired from ND?

Karl Dorrell is the coach at UCLA. The Bruins are currently 6-4.

Throwback "Que" said:
Agreeing with you. Kenwick is a solid coach who I think would've done a solid job if was hired as the head man at TSU. Fitz is a great man and a great teacher, who I know will be alright as an instuctor at Central Florida. SJSU also has a former Grambling coordinator on it's staff (Earl Buckingham) who might be a good hire for the G-Men.

Buck was a DC at UAPB for years, I didn't know he worked at GSU. However, Buck did interview for the job at UAPB and didn't get it last year. He would be a good DC in the SWAC, I don't think he may be ready for a HC position at a school like GSU. A good fit for him would be DC at JSU.

As for Fitz Hill, he was a good assistant for the Razorbacks, I would be he would go back to being an assistant for a top PWC.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
AAMU Alum said:
:confused:

Was Willingham fired from ND?

Karl Dorrell is the coach at UCLA. The Bruins are currently 6-4.

MY BAD ABOUT TY!!!!! Ty has been on the hot seat since he got at nd. I pray burell can keep it going at ucla.

Back