Robert Kent

ALJSU3

Kent leaves huge footprints

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

In a practice leading up to the 1999 Bernard Blackwell All Star Football Classic, Indianola Gentry coach Rickey Taylor turned to a reporter standing beside him and said "That kid is going to be something special."

File Photo / The Clarion-Ledger

Robert Kent, in four years at the helm of JSU's offense, has fulfilled the promise he showed as a prep star at Indianola Gentry

Kent's career

Year C-A-I Yards TD

2000 165-331-11 2510 27

2001 245-453-21 3,640 31

2002 231-394-12 3,374 31

2003 167-322-11 2,079 14

Total 808-1500-55 11,603 103

SWAC career passing leaders

Steve McNair, Alcorn State 1991-94, 14,496 yards

Willie Totten, Mississippi Valley State 1982-85, 13,128 yards

Darnell Kennedy, Alabama St. 1997-2001, 11,753 yards

Robert Kent, Jackson State 2000-present, 11,603 yards
*Kent needs 151 passing yards against Alcorn State to move past Kennedy into third place

That kid was Robert Kent, a tall, skinny-legged, bazooka-armed quarterback who a few nights later would lead the North to a 17-7 victory ? a performance prompting South coach Willie Collins of Provine to also predict great things from Kent.

"He did some things out there that remind you of some former great quarterbacks from Mississippi," Collins said that night. "I look for big things from him at Jackson State."

Turns out, Taylor, who coached Kent as senior, and Collins were right on the mark. Since his last-minute insertion into the starting lineup the third game of his redshirt freshman year, the 6-foot-5 Kent has thrown for over 11,500 yards and 100 touchdowns and broken every school passing record.

Not only will he leave JSU as the best quarterback in school history, he goes out as one of the most prolific passing quarterbacks in Southwestern Athletic Conference and Division I-AA history.

Kent's brilliant collegiate career comes to a close today as Jackson State takes on Alcorn State in the Capital City Classic. It's the final game for the man nicknamed Superman, who plans to make a quick dash into a phone booth somewhere between Dalton Street and Mississippi Veterans Memorial one last time today.

"It's been emotional all week, realizing that this is going to be my last college game," said Kent, who has played in 43 consecutive games, starting 40. "Everything's gone by so fast. It's been a heckuva experience; I've enjoyed every minute of it."

Looking back on his career, Kent says he has just one regret: Not winning a SWAC Championship.

"I really wanted to send these guys out with a championship," he said. "I wanted one for myself and for the fans, too."

Kent hasn't delivered a championship in his four seasons at JSU, but he's done just about everything else. He's won games with his legs and arm, providing one highlight after the other along the way.

He's thrown for 300 yards or more in a game nine times, 400 or more yards seven times and 500 or more yards twice, including a 595-yard performance against Alabama State two years ago. Last season against North Carolina A&T, Kent threw for 276 yards and four touchdowns, in the fourth quarter.

Although he's had his share of fumbles and interceptions and never led the Tigers to a title, he has without question etched his name in JSU football lore.

"Quarterbacks like him don't come around every day at Jackson State," former JSU offensive coordinator Darrell Asberry once said.

Despite a long list of injuries, Kent has kept playing and kept slinging the football around with considerable zip and regularity ? leaving opposing coaches frustrated and helpless.

One such coach is Alcorn's Johnny Thomas, who has witnessed Kent victimize his team for 1,004 yards and 14 touchdowns the past three seasons. "I wish all the players the best, but I will be glad to see him go," Thomas said with a chuckle. "It's time for him to go."

After directing one of the most feared, wide-open offenses in Division I-AA the past three seasons, Kent was looking for bigger and better things this season. His senior season hasn't gone according to plan, however. Far from it.

Not only has JSU had to endure one of the worst seasons in the program's history, Kent's numbers have dropped significantly in first-year coach James Bell's more conservative offense. He's thrown for 2,079 yards and 14 touchdowns, good numbers but not the type of numbers Kent or JSU fans had become accustomed to.

Kent said he didn't object to the change in offensive philosophies, but he "wouldn't have complained at all" if he had been able to play in the same offense this season as he did in his previous three seasons.

"The biggest adjustment was knowing I wasn't going to throw it 40 or 50 times a game," Kent said. "Early in the season I was pressing, trying to do too much, and I think that cost us a couple of games. After that, I just sat back and tried to let the game come to me.

"Sometimes, things just don't work out the way you planned for whatever reasons," Kent continued. "The losing has been tough. But I'm not going to reflect on the negatives, I'm just going to think about the positives."

Bell says he's been impressed from Day 1 with the way Kent has handled himself throughout this difficult season.

"He exemplifies all the things you want. . . toughness, leadership, great character," Bell said. "He's done everything we've asked him to do. He's a team player, he's very studious in the class, he carries himself well on and off the field. . . his parents have done an outstanding job. We'll definitely miss him."

With a degree in electronics technology (3.49 GPA) in hand and with his college career ending, Kent is eyeing a career in professional football. He hopes to become the first JSU quarterback to be drafted into the NFL when the league conducts its draft in April.

Two scouts attending practice earlier this week said they were very impressed with Kent's arm strength but pointed out he needed a lot of work on his footwork and mechanics. Each speculated Kent would be drafted on the second day of the draft (rounds 4-7). If not, they expect him to be on a n NFL roster somewhere.

"Think about it, there are 32 teams in the NFL," one scout said. "That means there's 96 spots. And there's a bunch of 40-something- year-old backups. There's a need for quarterbacks.

"I like his physical stature and the way the ball comes out of his hands. He's got all the tools to work with. His stats were down this year, but I don't think you can put that all on him. And it's not just about stats. He's got a first-day arm. If he has a good combine, somebody may jump up and take a chance on him, otherwise I'd say he's a second-day guy."

First day or second day, Kent plans to make the most of his final day in his No. 1 JSU uniform, even if he's slowed by a nagging turf toe.

"I won't be as healthy as I want to be," Kent said. "But hopefully I can have a good game, help my team win and end my career at Jackson State on a good note."

SWAC Career passing leaders
NAME.............SCHOOL.....YEAR......YARDS.....TD..........INT
1. Steve McNair...Alcorn......91-94.....14,496.....119.....62
2. Willie Totten....Valley ......82-85.....13,128.....141.....75
*3. Robert Kent.....jsu......00-present...11,797.....104....60
4. Darnell Kennedy.Bama st..97-01....11,753.....102.....55
*5. Bruce Eugene..Grambling..01-pres...8,544.....81.........29
6. Doug Williams.Grambling.74-77......8,411......93.........52
*7.Donald Carrie..Alcorn..01-pres....7,791.........64.......49
8. Shawn Gregory...jsu.........87-90.......6,655......51........34
9. Richard Myles...Alcorn........82-85.......5,474.....42........33
10. Richard Jones ..bama.........88-91......5,456......9..........0

Good luck to Robert Kent. It was fun to watch you play.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Mach - I know the person listed in the 10 spot needs to be revised. Well, I guess his stats needs to be revised - I think it would be incredible for Rickey (not Richard) to have had only 9 TD's and ZERO ints for a 4 year career. This was the QB on the Bama State undefeated team of '91.

And I know you didnt compile these stats, but that jumped out at me.

According to what I have, Ricky Jones had 49 TDs.

and Kent was/is a good player. I'll always remember the display of the QBs in the 61-58 game.
:eek::eek:

Kent was the truth!! those annoucers in Memorial stadium used to get it hype when the used to say Robert superman Kent:)

Dude really showed his class this year in how he responded to the bad season his team was having and all the injuries. Although he wasn't able to ever beat Grambling (sorry, couldn't resist), he did have a winning career at Jackson.

I think he will do very well in the pros. I certainly wish him well and will be pulling for him to make a good showing in the all-star games and combines. We need him drafted and not signed as a free agent!

There is no doubt that Robert Kent is an outstanding quarterback. I too have to commend him on his attitude despite the pitiful season JSU had. You could tell by Saturday's performance that he was playing with a lot of heart. It was a real disgrace for him to get down to his last year and have somebody straight rob him of what could have been a guaranteed career in the NFL. Though I bleed purple and gold, I still hope this young man makes it to the league and prove that he is the fine athlete that he has shown us he is.

And just for the record, JSUII, he may be the greatest QB in JSU history, but there is still one name that overshadows him as the greatest in SWAC history and this man goes by the name of Steve "Air II" McNair...remember him? Had to throw that one in there:p But it's all good.

GOOD LUCK KENT!!

golden397, I agree with you in reference to McNair, he is one of the best to ever come out of the SWAC. But of course we have DUMBELL as coach. If Bell would not have dismantled our offense to the point of nothing I honestly think Kent would have been a first round pick. At least this should have been a learning experience for Kent... changes happen, and sometime we don't have any say in the matter.

All is not lost with Kent. NFL teams don't give a damn about win/loss records. And they can't ignore all those yards he threw for his first 3 years. At least two teams had scouts looking at him 3 different times. I'd think they got better things to do with their money, if they didn't think he was a good prospect. Scouts stayed at the practices looking at Kent.

Besides, mechanics can be taught and worked on. But they can't teach 6'4", two hundred whatever pounds, and that rocket arm.

Originally posted by Robber
All is not lost with Kent. NFL teams don't give a damn about win/loss records. And they can't ignore all those yards he threw for his first 3 years. At least two teams had scouts looking at him 3 different times. I'd think they got better things to do with their money, if they didn't think he was a good prospect. Scouts stayed at the practices looking at Kent.

Besides, mechanics can be taught and worked on. But they can't teach 6'4", two hundred whatever pounds, and that rocket arm.

These are some very excellent points.

Back