Right Now

USC and Ohio State had a "Battle of the Bands" last week at a park and it was the most strange and weakest thing I've ever seen. White people doing black people stuff will always make me uncomfortable.

Below is Ohio State playing Lil' Wayne's Not Like Me ... I hate the cultural appropriation.

So did Rick Rubin or the Beastie Boys make you uncomfortable? Eminem?
What about all the behind the scenes white folks who put out these hip hop songs? Or the white kids that have made some of our biggest black hip hop artist rich by buying the music?

These PWC bands are full of Millennials who grew up on this kind of music. As all of us band members were taught by our directors. MUSIC IS A UNIVERSAL LANGUAGE. All music pretty much came from us. Even Rock and Roll. So the white boys have nothing they can play that didn't have our influence on it.

SU played a Queen song a few years ago that went viral. So we shouldn't "their" music. PWC bands playing black music aint no different than KC and the Sunshine Band or Rod Temperton who wrote Heatwave and a lot of Michael Jackson hits. I assume Lionel Ritchie should have never loaned out his work to Kenny Rogers. Or Nile Rodgers of CHIC should have never written and produced early Duran Duran songs. See where I am going with this? This is nothing new. PWC bands have played Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson songs in the past. Tina Turner songs. And the list goes on. Lil Wayne aint the first artist to have his song played by somebody white. Hell the majority of music sales are probably to white kids anyway. LOL.

What about all the behind the scenes white folks who put out these hip hop songs? Or the white kids that have made some of our biggest black hip hop artist rich by buying the music?

These PWC bands are full of Millennials who grew up on this kind of music. As all of us band members were taught by our directors. MUSIC IS A UNIVERSAL LANGUAGE. All music pretty much came from us. Even Rock and Roll. So the white boys have nothing they can play that didn't have our influence on it.

SU played a Queen song a few years ago that went viral. So we shouldn't "their" music. PWC bands playing black music aint no different than KC and the Sunshine Band or Rod Temperton who wrote Heatwave and a lot of Michael Jackson hits. I assume Lionel Ritchie should have never loaned out his work to Kenny Rogers. Or Nile Rodgers of CHIC should have never written and produced early Duran Duran songs. See where I am going with this? This is nothing new. PWC bands have played Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson songs in the past. Tina Turner songs. And the list goes on. Lil Wayne aint the first artist to have his song played by somebody white. Hell the majority of music sales are probably to white kids anyway. LOL.
It's official folks. Let's anoint JR as the spokesperson for the pwc bands....then again, he may have unwittingly anointed himself. Who wudda ever thunk it?

Consider your audience JR. You're making too much sense.

The BIG TEN Band do not. They have been the teaching grounds for graduate degrees for our legendary HBCU band directors and they don't mind hiring US. You haven't seen one DEEP SOUTH SEC school band hire one of ours to lead the way. And they are the main ones who talk about us. The USCs and Big Ten Bands have no issue with us.

True. Dr. Sanford was the first black big ten director when he was hired as the head director at Minnesota decades ago.

Reactions: JR
It's official folks. Let's anoint JR as the spokesperson for the pwc bands....then again, he may have unwittingly anointed himself. Who wudda ever thunk it?

If you thought about what you and tsugray is saying then maybe I make sense. Music is Universal. You None band folks have no clue.

Show them the real SWAC aggression then they'll stop. All it takes is for JSU,SU or somebody too crank up on they ass SWAC style

So is racism. You none historic folks have no clue.

I know our history very well. So if a white band plays Jazz, what then? Where is the outrage when they play a Duke Ellington cut? Haven't heard any outrage about them playing Ragtime by Scott Joplin who was a brother. Maybe yall only get pissed off when a PWC band plays Hip Hop. Haven't white bands played Michael Jackson or Stevie Wonder Music? What about Quincy Jones song that is the Austin Powers theme music.

If you know your musical history, we pretty much own all the rights to music as a race/culture. Every genre evolved from Africa. So in essence the PWCs shouldn't have a band or play any music in that case. Since none of it is technically their own. And for yall to be so mad about them playing Neck or something. Cameo front man Larry Blackman went to the most prestigious white music school you can. Juilliard. LOL. So I guess he a sellout for getting educated there or writing for white artists. Just saying.

You don’t?

I think the opposite is true. Most Black bands only consider a few PWC bands to be in their realm. Ohio State being one of them. Almost all are considered to be inferior. Especially by SWAC bands. You know good and well no SWAC band considers any of those white bands to be their equals.
Black folks jest and joke with each other but that has nothing to do with racism by not hiring our own in key positions on a consistent basis.

I know our history very well. So if a white band plays Jazz, what then? Where is the outrage when they play a Duke Ellington cut? Haven't heard any outrage about them playing Ragtime by Scott Joplin who was a brother. Maybe yall only get pissed off when a PWC band plays Hip Hop. Haven't white bands played Michael Jackson or Stevie Wonder Music? What about Quincy Jones song that is the Austin Powers theme music.

If you know your musical history, we pretty much own all the rights to music as a race/culture. Every genre evolved from Africa. So in essence the PWCs shouldn't have a band or play any music in that case. Since none of it is technically their own. And for yall to be so mad about them playing Neck or something. Cameo front man Larry Blackman went to the most prestigious white music school you can. Juilliard. LOL. So I guess he a sellout for getting educated there or writing for white artists. Just saying.
Bands can play what they want to play, but my concern is if our music is sooo good, why don't we have more Black directors at pwc schools? That's my issue.

Always at least one that don't see the whole picture. It's not the music playing that's in question, it's the looking down upon HBCU bands, then being hypocritical and trying to imitate the very thing they criticized. That's the height of arrogance.

Bro, I may clown you on some stuff, and it's not personal coming from my end, but you're a smart dude when it comes to real important things about our ppl.

These dudes don't get it.

See what happen with country music and rock-n-roll

Hell look at R&B,

Give it 5-7 more years and that'll be gone from us

Dudes don't even know that every genre of music came from black music including techno, so we have that right to play any and everything.

These whites out here talking down on rap music but yet playing the rap music? the hell. Not only do their band play the music the music in the stadium at these schools play rap music, went to UGA vs SU game, if SU band wasn't playing, the music in the stadium was a black rapper Lol smh. But yet that music is all kinds of this and that smh.

Hell white ppl right now in large numbers are practicing voodoo, something black ppl live and did but yet tell us to be afraid of it. Smh. Black ppl are so dayum backwards smh. Sad

HBCU bands are stereotyped by whites who only view clips of HBCU bands playing rap music and dancing and NOT viewing clips of HBCU bands playing marches. Lack of knowledge = ignorance.

Ignorance these days with the hundreds and hundreds of HBCU band videos out there is no excuse.

So if Penn State looked down on HBCU bands. Why did they hire a HBCU grad to LEAD THEM? Surely they could do like LSU and have an all white staff and just play our music.
Althought I strongly dislike LSU, their assistant band director is a JSU grad.

K_Jones.jpg

Kelvin Jones is the Assistant Director of Bands. His responsibilities include assisting with the “Golden Band from Tigerland,” teaching undergraduate conducting, marching band techniques, conducting the Symphonic Band, and directing the Bengal Brass. He holds degrees in Music from Jackson State University and Louisiana State University. He is a member of the National Association for Music Education, College Band Directors National Association, Louisiana Music Educators Association, Louisiana Association of Jazz Educators, HBCU Band Directors Consortium, and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.

That's the one thing I don't like, for so many years they frowned upon our style (outside of the Big 10 bands) and many of them still do.

Back