Right Now

Man aint this some sht.

Breh. Cacs really be taking our stuff smh.

1st it was Neck

Now this sht? Da fuk mane. who is giving these schools our songs?

I remember when I 1st heard this sht at A.W. back in 93 I wanna say and how even our SU fans was cutting up, now Penn State? the hell mane

If I’m not mistaken the head director went to Bethune Cookman
4951227396_d66a3de333_o-702x336.jpg

http://onwardstate.com/2015/03/23/penn-state-alumnus-greg-drane-named-blue-band-director/

Penn State Alumnus Greg Drane Named Blue Band Director
BY ZACH BERGER ON MARCH 23, 2015 AT 4:30 PM

After nearly two decades with O. Richard Bundy at the helm, the Penn State Blue Band officially has a new director. Gregory Drane, the band’s current assistant director, has been selected as Bundy’s successor according to an e-mail sent to the band.

Drane has been with the Blue Band since 2002 and has served as the assistant director since 2005. He’s a Penn State alumnus, too, completing a master’s degree in music education at the university after attending Bethune-Cookman College for his undergraduate. Drane is an instructor with the Penn State School of Music and is currently working on a doctorate.

Take this for what its worth Juke folks. They can imitate you, but never duplicate you.
But keep in mind though, Haymer did shuck and jive with them USM folks, so he opened the door for it.

If I’m not mistaken the head director went to Bethune Cookman

We're always aiding and abetting white folks when it comes to appropriating our culture. It's all fun and games at first until they start profiting or given credit in ways Black folks aren't. Reminds me of the time those Black women taught that white sorority how to step and they turned around and won the money

Its MUSIC!! What happened to being diverse??? Haven't we played rocky theme song??? Living on a prayer?? And so on. I remember gsu playing numb in 2003. Su welcome to the jungle. Why aren't they allowed to play neck or do what u wanna??

Always at least one that don't see the whole picture. It's not the music playing that's in question, it's the looking down upon HBCU bands, then being hypocritical and trying to imitate the very thing they criticized. That's the height of arrogance.

Last edited:
Take this for what its worth Juke folks. They can imitate you, but never duplicate you.
But keep in mind though, Haymer did shuck and jive with them USM folks, so he opened the door for it.

How did he shuck and jive playing in PLACE. You do know what shucking and jiving means. He played a traditional American Song. I guess Doc Greggs shucked and jived directing Jukes who were in the US Olympic Band in 1984 for the opening and closing ceremony. I guess he shuck and jived for a combined SUper Bowl band in 1990.

I guess every white person should be dealt with like the enemy as far as you concerned. The USM Band Director and Haymer did something that the rest of America should be doing. Was no dancing. No playing OF OUR Black MUSIC with them. It was a song you had to sing in Elementary school when we grew up in MS. I know you did so don't say you didn't. If you so concerned about the NECKS who are racist in the stands. Then you should never watch any SEC game or want JSU to ever play a PWC. They are just as racist as the fans at USM are. So when the Boom performs at the Ms State vs JSU game. They should have just walked on the field played one note and left. You do know shucking and jiving don't have to include performing with the other band. You can shuck and jive by yourself. In that case all our bands who have performed for WHITE audiences are guilty. Especially if we did a DANCE ROUTINE.

It's crazy what is happening with the PWC bands, they frown down on HBCU bands but try to be like us.

The BIG TEN Band do not. They have been the teaching grounds for graduate degrees for our legendary HBCU band directors and they don't mind hiring US. You haven't seen one DEEP SOUTH SEC school band hire one of ours to lead the way. And they are the main ones who talk about us. The USCs and Big Ten Bands have no issue with us.

Always at least one that don't see the whole picture. It's not the music playing that's in question, it's the looking down upon HBCU bands, then being hypocritical and trying to imitate the very thing they criticized. That's the height of arrogance.

So if Penn State looked down on HBCU bands. Why did they hire a HBCU grad to LEAD THEM? Surely they could do like LSU and have an all white staff and just play our music.

The BIG TEN Band do not. They have been the teaching grounds for graduate degrees for our legendary HBCU band directors and they don't mind hiring US. You haven't seen one DEEP SOUTH SEC school band hire one of ours to lead the way. And they are the main ones who talk about us. The USCs and Big Ten Bands have no issue with us.
I'm surprised by your statement. How many have hired Black folks to run their band program? Name me just two or maybe three out of the hundreds of band programs in the nation to hire ONE lead director of bands who is Black.

Last edited:
So if Penn State looked down on HBCU bands. Why did they hire a HBCU grad to LEAD THEM? Surely they could do like LSU and have an all white staff and just play our music.
I'm not sure if that's the head band director you're referring to. In addition, if it is, that's one out of how many hundreds of band programs from predominantly White schools?
Come on man, even if it's so, that's one out of hundreds of band programs in the nation.
That's less than .05 of one percentage point.

Last edited:
I'm surprised by your statement. How many have hired Black folks to run their band program? Name me just two or maybe three out of the hundreds of band programs in the nation to hire ONE lead director of bands who is Black.

Minnesota and Pittsburgh had the guy you guys just fired as their Head Band Director. LOL.

Ohio University had a FAMU grad running things.

You need to be mad at those PWCs down South who will not let one of us even on STAFF.

You really need to talk to old school HBCU band directors that are still alive and they will tell you who was cool and who was not. Ben Butler gave a whole speech about it

Minnesota and Pittsburgh had the guy you guys just fired as their Head Band Director. LOL.

Ohio University had a FAMU grad running things.

You need to be mad at those PWCs down South who will not let one of us even on STAFF.

You really need to talk to old school HBCU band directors that are still alive and they will tell you who was cool and who was not. Ben Butler gave a whole speech about it
The south is not the only prejudiced region. It's nationwide. The numbers prove beyond any shadow of doubt.
Again, out of 300 plus band programs, you still can't name on less than five fingers the number of band programs lead by a Black person. That speaks volumes.

The south is not the only prejudiced region. It's nationwide. The numbers prove beyond any shadow of doubt.
Again, out of 300 plus band programs, you still can't name on less than five fingers the number of band programs lead by a Black person. That speaks volumes.

Hell you can say that about Fortune 500 companies. Are you going to stop patronizing them? All I am saying is certain programs admitted young black band directors to work on their Masters and Doctorates when the ones in the South would not. And even those few programs that have folks leading their programs of color. None are ones near our schools. All are still those same schools who admitted our famous black band legends. You think Alabama or Ga would hire that band director at Penn State with his braids with his BCU degree? You think Florida would hire him?

And we no racism and prejudice is all over the country. Michigan is one of the most racist states in the US. So is Indiana. But hey that aint the topic. Penn State band director is a brother from a HBCU and if he wants to play black music. I think he has a right to do so. LOL.

Hell you can say that about Fortune 500 companies. Are you going to stop patronizing them? All I am saying is certain programs admitted young black band directors to work on their Masters and Doctorates when the ones in the South would not. And even those few programs that have folks leading their programs of color. None are ones near our schools. All are still those same schools who admitted our famous black band legends. You think Alabama or Ga would hire that band director at Penn State with his braids with his BCU degree? You think Florida would hire him?

And we no racism and prejudice is all over the country. Michigan is one of the most racist states in the US. So is Indiana. But hey that aint the topic. Penn State band director is a brother from a HBCU and if he wants to play black music. I think he has a right to do so. LOL.
I wasn't talking about an individual school, I was talking systemically.

HBCU bands copied from Big 10 bands such as Michigan and Ohio State, I think we're even now.
Copying and looking down are two different things. Copying is actually a form of respect: looking down is a lack of respect so no we aren't even.

USC and Ohio State had a "Battle of the Bands" last week at a park and it was the most strange and weakest thing I've ever seen. White people doing black people stuff will always make me uncomfortable.

Below is Ohio State playing Lil' Wayne's Not Like Me ... I hate the cultural appropriation.

Back