Remembering old school

SUtrp96

HBCU SCREAMING CHAMP 99'
Big ups to 84 edition with that "April in Paris" You boys were full as he!!........ Also that "It ain't Much" was a fool also......

I don't see why people say JSU may have got with SU in 84. I mean JSU was fire and all...*remembering them playing this Billy Ocean tune on the field w/ the sax solo..* But SU "Torture" was no joke...and OOOOooo MY LAWD them trumpets on ...Luther Vandross "Super Star"......the singer was HELLA also.

That trumpet player on "April in Paris" was nice to, I would have liked to played somethig like that while I was there...

Much props.....

I got a tape with TnSU in '82, '84, '85 and '89 on it. Also on tape, is '82 Valley, '82 & '84 Ala St., '85 AAMU, and '85 & '89 SU. 2 songs that stick out on tape TnSU in '82 playing "Moonlight I Vermont". They had 4 Trumpets that came out in front of the band during a halftime show and screamed all over the place. They sounded like 15 trumpets.

The second song was SU playing "Getaway" in '89.

Originally posted by Mr. Phreeze
I got a tape with TnSU in '82, '84, '85 and '89 on it. Also on tape, is '82 Valley, '82 & '84 Ala St., '85 AAMU, and '85 & '89 SU. 2 songs that stick out on tape TnSU in '82 playing "Moonlight I Vermont". They had 4 Trumpets that came out in front of the band during a halftime show and screamed all over the place. They sounded like 15 trumpets.

The second song was SU playing "Getaway" in '89.
oh what I wouldn't do to get my hands on some of that!!!. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :smh:

Originally posted by SUtrp96
Big ups to 84 edition with that "April in Paris" You boys were full as he!!........ Also that "It ain't Much" was a fool also......

I don't see why people say JSU may have got with SU in 84. I mean JSU was fire and all...*remembering them playing this Billy Ocean tune on the field w/ the sax solo..* But SU "Torture" was no joke...and OOOOooo MY LAWD them trumpets on ...Luther Vandross "Super Star"......the singer was HELLA also.

That trumpet player on "April in Paris" was nice to, I would have liked to played somethig like that while I was there...

Much props.....

1984 ahh my crab Fall.
April in Paris was the longest song/drill I ever did at SU. It went on forever. LOL. The trumpet soloist was my frat and section leader Kenneth Carmouche on that song. Doc featured him when we went to Houston which was his hometown.

JSU did indeed get us that year. No doubt. But we were bringing it on Torture, I Feel For You, and the SuperStar was nice!! My crab brother Leonard Julien could sing his arse off.

That trumpet section btw was Crab dominated. You would have never known. Built a trumpet section foundation for years to come. Section just kept getting bigger and better. I think it about 18 -20 crabs on trumpet. We had so many some move over to E-flat horn(we had those before getting F-horns the next year in 85).

Re: Re: Remembering old school

Originally posted by JR
1984 ahh my crab Fall.
April in Paris was the longest song/drill I ever did at SU. It went on forever. LOL. The trumpet soloist was my frat and section leader Kenneth Carmouche on that song. Doc featured him when we went to Houston which was his hometown.

JSU did indeed get us that year. No doubt. But we were bringing it on Torture, I Feel For You, and the SuperStar was nice!! My crab brother Leonard Julien could sing his arse off.

That trumpet section btw was Crab dominated. You would have never known. Built a trumpet section foundation for years to come. Section just kept getting bigger and better. I think it about 18 -20 crabs on trumpet. We had so many some move over to E-flat horn(we had those before getting F-horns the next year in 85).

Put it like this if JSU got yall, I had to be there in person...Cause yall negros had MUCH sound on the field!!!!!! Your crab bro. that sung must have never cut his hair bald, cause he was rubbing his silky smooth hair all threw out the tape...lol

Man JSU must have been a beast.....for them to indeed get yall...Maybe yall did that show before and it was less effective....but the crowd was into both shows, maybe they were into JSU show more, you can't really tell from my tape....But yall was some blowing mofo's...

I am still humming that "It ain't much"...lol Trumpets were loud and full as heck...

Re: Re: Re: Remembering old school

Put it like this if JSU got yall, I had to be there in person...Cause yall negros had MUCH sound on the field!!!!!! Your crab bro. that sung must have never cut his hair bald, cause he was rubbing his silky smooth hair all threw out the tape...lol

Man JSU must have been a beast.....for them to indeed get yall...Maybe yall did that show before and it was less effective....but the crowd was into both shows, maybe they were into JSU show more, you can't really tell from my tape....But yall was some blowing mofo's...

I am still humming that "It ain't much"...lol Trumpets were loud and full as heck...
Is that the show where the young lady in all white did a dance solo? The one that ended with a split...and a double plop in that position.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Remembering old school

Originally posted by O'Bladerunner
Is that the show where the young lady in all white did a dance solo? The one that ended with a split...and a double plop in that position.

Yeah that's it.......Don't you agree for any band to get that show "INDEED" they had to be a beast?:confused:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Remembering old school

Yeah that's it.......Don't you agree for any band to get that show "INDEED" they had to be a beast?:confused:
Yea...anyone out-doing that needs to be reviewed and in my collection. It's never impossible...but, it da*n sure sounds improbable.

SUtrp96, I guess you would have to had been there. That October night in 1984 was one of the darkest night for the Box. Seeing the tape the Monday after the game did provide some redemption as we were able to compare sound, precision and execution to that of the Boom. But there were no question the Boom had a more appealing / entertaining show. I had never experience a waxing like that in all my years as a bandsman (jr high, high school or college). The memories of "Caribbean Queen" and the Jaysettes rocking Munford will never leave my memories.
I would love to see Show from that night and the Thrashing we gave the Boom in 1983.

Originally posted by illinijag
SUtrp96, I guess you would have to had been there. That October night in 1984 was one of the darkest night for the Box. Seeing the tape the Monday after the game did provide some redemption as we were able to compare sound, precision and execution to that of the Boom. But there were no question the Boom had a more appealing / entertaining show. I had never experience a waxing like that in all my years as a bandsman (jr high, high school or college). The memories of "Caribbean Queen" and the Jaysettes rocking Munford will never leave my memories.
I would love to see Show from that night and the Thrashing we gave the Boom in 1983.

Dayum it was like that? But from watching the tape, you guys did a hella job....fa real!!!!
I guess the BOOM did some heavy intensed homework... but from the lil bit JSU is on my tape, they were bringing it!!!!! I guess I need a full tape.

I do have 83.....You negros were MONSTERS..!!!!!!!! The sound you guys had on the field, no one will ever believe that was just 128!!!!!!! And the drive you guys had was UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!

I never heard 82, unless that was the tape I saw when the F-horns got in front of the band in the stands on the particular song.. I believe it was "Zoom" ... Talk about crucial... Alot of new school folks such as myself think 86 started "Love is The Key", "Before I let Go", "Distant Lover".....I have the tape while you all were playing Distant Lover in 83 as TnSU marched towards you all in the 5th. I perfered you all sound on that much better.....

Did fall 82 play "Somebody's elses guy"? Do you have any footage of your crab year? I also hear from a lot of old cats 78 band was a beast as well....

Originally posted by illinijag

I must say, 1984 was a very good year for the BOOM. BUT in 1983....everybody out did the Boom including the Valley! :lol: That year(83) was not a good year for JSU.

I remember SU rocking 'Soul Train' in the stands at Memorial Stadium in 1983, I was like..:eek:. The year of 82 were good years for both bands also. I really enjoyed the arrangement of 'Sexual Healing' that SU played on the field in 1982. :tup:

Sorry, I don?t have any footage from my crab year. I don?t recall playing ? Somebody Else?s Guy? that does not mean we did not play it. I do know that we were the first to play ?Love is the Key? my sophomore year. I am almost sure we were the first to play ?Before I Let Go? my crab year. During my four years, we maintained a massive repertoire and we Ruled the 5th (b4 it was called the 5th qtr) ?our Thursday night Jam sessions would last for hours. I remember songs like ?Ain?t Nobody?, ?Imagination? and ?Murphy?s Law? that would wake a bear from hibernation. Doc made us believe that we were invincible and no band did anything to change our perception.

Wow ? Soul Train? that was another power tune we had. The Boom had a good show in 1982, I will never forget the Barry White tune ?Change? the trumpets were off the hook.

Back