Redemption - Starring Jamie Foxx

SAME OLD G

A product of Greatness
Staff member
Anybody see it? Jamie Foxx did a hell of a job with that role. The producers did a horrible job with the details...but other than that, it was not bad for a made for TV film.

Yeah, I saw it. It was pretty damn good for a TV movie. It seems like Jamie is getting comfortable with portraying real life people in movies. It didn't go into a lot of his life before and in prison. It was uckfed how his dad told him to wait there for him to come back and never did.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
It was a good made for TV film. They missed some details but other than that it was a good movie.

It was a great movie, but as others have stated some minor things were out of whack. Whoever did wardrobe did a piss-poor job, because Atlanta Hawks throwbacks didn't exist in that era nor did the Dallas Mavericks have that symbol(Tony's hat during most of the movie). Additionally, if AMG's "***** Betta Have My Money" would have been a popular song at the time Barbara's son was playing it, then he would not have had any access to an Ecko jersey. I guess I am just too nitpicky at times, but I hate to see historical inaccuracies.

BILBREW said:
It was a great movie, but as others have stated some minor things were out of whack. Whoever did wardrobe did a piss-poor job, because Atlanta Hawks throwbacks didn't exist in that era nor did the Dallas Mavericks have that symbol(Tony's hat during most of the movie). Additionally, if AMG's "***** Betta Have My Money" would have been a popular song at the time Barbara's son was playing it, then he would not have had any access to an Ecko jersey. I guess I am just too nitpicky at times, but I hate to see historical inaccuracies.

Basically all the clothes back then weren't baggy.
The movie was good anyway. :tup:

BILBREW said:
Man, when I saw that Dallas Mavericks cap I was like WTF?!?! They couldn't find a L.A. Kings caps. That Dallas Mavericks logo just came out 2 years ago. With all of the throwback gear that is out on the market now, they could have done a much better job with the wardrobe.

SAME OLD G said:
Man, when I saw that Dallas Mavericks cap I was like WTF?!?! They couldn't find a L.A. Kings caps. That Dallas Mavericks logo just came out 2 years ago. With all of the throwback gear that is out on the market now, they could have done a much better job with the wardrobe.

Better yet, they could have just given him a Dodger hat and called it a day. They may have caught hell trying to find an older Kings hat, but the Dodgers fitted hat is the same as it was back then. They also could have found several Raider hats that could have passed for the early-'90's since their logo hasn't changed either.

I don't do Jamie Foxx. His comedy puts me to sleep, the TV show is marginal at best, and I'd rather watch two male gnats have "steamy sex" before I watch a movie that he's in.

I'll pass.

BILBREW said:
Better yet, they could have just given him a Dodger hat and called it a day. They may have caught hell trying to find an older Kings hat, but the Dodgers fitted hat is the same as it was back then. They also could have found several Raider hats that could have passed for the early-'90's since their logo hasn't changed either.
Take it from someone who knows (I am from L.A.), during that time if you were young, black, and seen wearing a blue Dodger cap, that was a invite for trouble. Most "Crabs" (you know them as "Crips") wore Dodger caps. And if you weren't a Crip member, it was seen as being down with them. In the movie, Tony was involved in promoting unity...wearing a Dodger cap would not have been a good idea.

I owned a Dodger cap throughout college. I am a die-hard Dodger fan. But when I would go home during break, my mama use to beg me not to wear that cap out in the streets...I did it anyway. I never got rushed because I knew where and where not to wear it. Secondly, I tried to tell her that people could tell whether or not you were a gangster. Other than that cap, I didn't wear any other gangster gear.

SAME OLD G said:
Take it from someone who knows (I am from L.A.), during that time if you were young, black, and seen wearing a blue Dodger cap, that was a invite for trouble. Most "Crabs" (you know them as "Crips") wore Dodger caps. And if you weren't a Crip member, it was seen as being down with them. In the movie, Tony was involved in promoting unity...wearing a Dodger cap would not have been a good idea.

I owned a Dodger cap throughout college. I am a die-hard Dodger fan. But when I would go home during break, my mama use to beg me not to wear that cap out in the streets...I did it anyway. I never got rushed because I knew where and where not to wear it. Secondly, I tried to tell her that people could tell whether or not you were a gangster. Other than that cap, I didn't wear any other gangster gear.

I am from L.A. as well. The Mavericks hat had blue in it as well(not a lot, but enough to be noticed). We are trying to be accurate here, so even if this former Crip was trying to promote unity I highly doubt that he would have just forgone wearing a blue Dodger hat for the hell of it.

My father used to stay on 97th and Avalon and I pretty much wore whatever I please whenever I was over there. Granted, it was a Crip hood, but as you stated they knew who was a gangbanger and who wasn't and if I was walking down the street with a Dodger hat on I didn't get sweated. I would sometimes venture over to Will Rodgers Park and the surrounding area without neutral colors and I never got checked. I hear what you are saying, but you may be overexaggerating a little. A former Crip would not have had any problem if he would have worn a blue Dodger hat around Imperial Courts, particularly if they knew who he was.

I noticed the usage of the word "crab". What set were you from?(if any)

BILBREW said:
I am from L.A. as well. The Mavericks hat had blue in it as well(not a lot, but enough to be noticed). We are trying to be accurate here, so even if this former Crip was trying to promote unity I highly doubt that he would have just forgone wearing a blue Dodger hat for the hell of it.

My father used to stay on 97th and Avalon and I pretty much wore whatever I please whenever I was over there. Granted, it was a Crip hood, but as you stated they knew who was a gangbanger and who wasn't and if I was walking down the street with a Dodger hat on I didn't get sweated. I would sometimes venture over to Will Rodgers Park and the surrounding area without neutral colors and I never got checked. I hear what you are saying, but you may be overexaggerating a little. A former Crip would not have had any problem if he would have worn a blue Dodger hat around Imperial Courts, particularly if they knew who he was.

I noticed the usage of the word "crab". What set were you from?(if any)
What up homie!!! I didn't know you were from the crib too. But seeing your post and the "lingo" used, I know better. - LOL!!!! :swink:

BTW - The last thing that I would ever do is overexaggerate the so called "gang activity" in L.A. because I think the media is guilty of doing that very same thing. Back when gang bangin was at its highest level, the media did whatever it could to make situations more than it really was worth. That was not the impression I was trying to give.

So your dad use to live on 97th and Avalon (a few blocks away from Century Blvd) huh? I use to live on 82nd and Hooper (between Manchester and Florence), then moved to 89th and Grammercy (near St. Andrews Park), and finally moved to Inglewood on Queen Street and Inglewood Ave (set of the Queen Street Bloods).

Batman said:
I don't do Jamie Foxx. His comedy puts me to sleep, the TV show is marginal at best, and I'd rather watch two male gnats have "steamy sex" before I watch a movie that he's in.

I'll pass.

Hush Boy........:lol:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
SAME OLD G said:
What up homie!!! I didn't know you were from the crib too. But seeing your post and the "lingo" used, I know better. - LOL!!!! :swink:

BTW - The last thing that I would ever do is overexaggerate the so called "gang activity" in L.A. because I think the media is guilty of doing that very same thing. Back when gang bangin was at its highest level, the media did whatever it could to make situations more than it really was worth. That was not the impression I was trying to give.

So your dad use to live on 97th and Avalon (a few blocks away from Century Blvd) huh? I use to live on 82nd and Hooper (between Manchester and Florence), then moved to 89th and Grammercy (near St. Andrews Park), and finally moved to Inglewood on Queen Street and Inglewood Ave (set of the Queen Street Bloods).

I'm from Inglewood originally. I lived mostly on Aerick Street, which is off of Prairie and about 4 blocks up from the Great Western Forum. Most kids in that area went to Crozier Jr. High and Inglewood High, so of course it was mostly Bloods in that area. We moved in junior high(San Diego, then Atlanta, then Louisiana, then back to L.A.). Luckily for me we moved before I really got caught up in anything. I went to school out of the district since I was so-called gifted, so I was basically living a double life everyday(smart kid at school, street-smart kid back in the neighborhood). I am familiar with Queen Street, but it was mostly Inglewood Family in my area. The funny thing is that even though it was pretty much nothing but Bloods over there I still very seldom wore red(blue was always my favorite color, but anyone with any common sense knew not to walk around Inglewood with a lot of blue on).

I ended up finishing high school out in West Covina, which of course is not a terrible area but still had its share of gang activity. My cousins out there were Crips and most of my boys were Crips or affiliates. A lot of people moved out there from Los Angeles and pretty much brought their mentality with them. It made things interesting because you had dudes from all kinds of sets out there(Front Hood Compton Crip, Harlem 30's, Rollin' 60's, 111 Neighborhood Crip, etc.). There were a few local sets(West Covina Neighborhood Crip, West Covina Mob Bloods, 115 Neighborhood Crip Covina, Du Rocc Crip, etc.), but you didn't have to worry too much about them. I used to go to my Dad's house a lot, but I never considered moving over there(for obvious reasons). People didn't mess with me over there mainly because they knew my family(my father was living in the old family house), but I still would have had to go through like 4 different hoods just to go to school if I would have transferred to Locke High. My boy Tony that went to Locke kept trying to talk me into it, but he actually took the RTD to school from like off of Olympic or somewhere up there and had a lot of problems when he would come home after school. The block my Dad lived on was 97 East Coast Crip and the right around the corner was 98 Main Street. They had been feuding for years at that point.

Since you went to college in Louisiana as well, I am sure you got those questions like "Are you from South Central?", "Is Compton really that bad?", "Did you ever see any rappers?", or my personal favorite "Why didn't you just go to UCLA or USC?" :D

SAME OLD G said:

I had my mind set on seeing that movie but just forgot unitl I saw and advertisement for it, at about 10:00.

I might as well jump into the L.A. conversation also. I grew up off of Coliseum and La Brea, on the other side of the "Jungle". I slightly got involved in gang activities :swink:. Whether I wore red or blue, I got sweated. I wore a lot of black, I had family and friends on both sides so I dressed accordingly when visiting. I have relatives on 93rd and Gramercy, I spent a lot of time over there. One of my fellow SU alums grew up on 95th and Normandie and while we were on breaks, that was the party spot, he still lives there but its still the hang out spot but things have changed. I also was around Manchester and Western a lot. It all kicked off in 85', thats when I really started hearing about drive bys and classmates getting shot.

limefree said:
I had my mind set on seeing that movie but just forgot unitl I saw and advertisement for it, at about 10:00.

I might as well jump into the L.A. conversation also. I grew up off of Coliseum and La Brea, on the other side of the "Jungle". I slightly got involved in gang activities :swink:. Whether I wore red or blue, I got sweated. I wore a lot of black, I had family and friends on both sides so I dressed accordingly when visiting. I have relatives on 93rd and Gramercy, I spent a lot of time over there. One of my fellow SU alums grew up on 95th and Normandie and while we were on breaks, that was the party spot, he still lives there but its still the hang out spot but things have changed. I also was around Manchester and Western a lot. It all kicked off in 85', thats when I really started hearing about drive bys and classmates getting shot.

Oh yeah, the 80's were a trip. I didn't graduate from high school until '94, so although I dealt with some stuff back in the day I missed some things that were going on before my time.

Limefree, you are right about the Jungle. You could have on plaid and still get sweated over there :lol:

BILBREW said:
Oh yeah, the 80's were a trip. I didn't graduate from high school until '94, so although I dealt with some stuff back in the day I missed some things that were going on before my time.

Limefree, you are right about the Jungle. You could have on plaid and still get sweated over there :lol:

Yep, my sister lives over there and I dayum near be in all white when I visit. :lmao: :lmao: I graduated from high school in 87' and it was wild.

Dude, you taking me back. I knew where Aerick Street is. Me and my brother both went to Inglewood High. I didn't go to Crozier but my brother did. My Jr. High years were spent in Louisiana with my grandparents.

You're right, most of the City of Inglewood was nothing but Bloods. In my area, the Queen Street Bloods (QSB) were a small group, but they were cool with Inglewood Family - which took up most of Inglewood - as well as the Crenshaw Mafias, Centinela Park Family, and the Avenue Pirus over in the Morningside High School area.

I never had a problem with none of those cats, primarily because I went to school with many of them - when they came to school. LOL!!! And eventhough I didn't gang bang with any of them, the QSBs always had me and my brothers back if anything ever went down. There were a few crips sets in the Inglewood area though. There was the Inglewood Village Crips (IVC) and some Raymond Crips that would make some noise everyone in a while.

And yes, when I got to Gram everyone wanted to know about what life in L.A. was really like. I would simply tell them that it was no different than living in any other urban area.

BTW - Mack 10 did live down the street from me.

Back