Recent ASU Alumnus Wins Inaugural United Kingdom Short Story Prize!

Olde Hornet

Recent ASU Alumnus Wins Inaugural United Kingdom Short Story Prize!

https://www.alasu.edu/recent-asu-alumnus-wins-inaugural-united-kingdom-short-story-prize
:clap:

A recent graduate of Alabama State University is the winner of a United Kingdom-based international literary prize ahead of 421 other authors who hail from 19 different nations, as announced by the editor of the Afritondo literary journal, which held the contest.

Jarred Thompson, an ASU class of 2016 summa cum laude graduate, and a resident of Johannesburg, South Africa, is the inaugural 2020 'Afritondo Short Story Prize' winner for his story ‘Good Help Is Hard to Find.’ The awarding organization, Afritondo, is a media and publishing platform with a goal to tell the stories of Africans and black minority populations across the globe. It encourages and promotes literature, via global strategic prize competitions.

The ASU alumnus was delighted that his years of crafting stories was formally recognized.

"I'm so grateful for my art to be acknowledged in this way. Winning the Afritondo Short Story Prize, a prize for African writers and African minorities, means a lot to me because, I am dedicated to be telling authentic African stories, which don't just relate to local experiences, but to the human experience through a South African lens," Thompson said.

Back