Recap of the 2016 Season

Jsu Sonic Boom

Here is my list for the Swac, if you disagree or think your band deserves higher or lower, post a video of your band and list for the swac.

1. Su(just doesn't get better than this, amazing arrangements and power) 2. Jsu(arrangements are getting better, the full sound is finally getting heard) 3. Alcorn(had them at #2 but the soul bowl was not a good look, there sound is progressing) 4. Pvamu(on the rise, sound is a rich and dark, arrangements are good) 5. Aamu(on the rise, sound is getting clearer and more pleasant to listen to)

6. Txsu(powerful, but sloppy; when they play loud they play sloppy EX: Crankfest) 7.Gsu( surprised me at Bayou Battle of the Bands, if they play like that all season, they would be great 8. Uapb(been on decline since 2012) 9. Asu(horrible to listen to, not pleasant at all; Dr. O needs to GO) 10.Valley( Valley, what can I say, where is the band and director from 2013.)

I know this is a opinion but what are these based off of? stands? field shows, overall field and show? just my opinion alot of them bands had entertaining shows all season who are ranked lower while alot of them bands didn't until the end of the season. UAPB had good shows, PV, GSU, JSU SU had good/ great shows. But everyone ear isn't the same I think the 2016 swac was very good its no terrible clips out like past years but some are better than others on the field an stands. I just like to hear others opinions of why they choose certain ranking.

I know this is a opinion but what are these based off of? stands? field shows, overall field and show? just my opinion alot of them bands had entertaining shows all season who are ranked lower while alot of them bands didn't until the end of the season. UAPB had good shows, PV, GSU, JSU SU had good/ great shows. But everyone ear isn't the same I think the 2016 swac was very good its no terrible clips out like past years but some are better than others on the field an stands. I just like to hear others opinions of why they choose certain ranking.

I ranked them based on field show, stands, overall look and sound. I

I agree with you. UAPB shows r better than most in swac. UAPB also has a nice balanced sound and plus who couldnt love Graham and those black pants he wear up to his chest LOL.. Also JSUsonicboom its interesting you put SU before the boom. Because 2016 the boom had some arrangements that poured gas on all schools like Father I stretch, pick up the phone, chill bill, fu-gee-la and a host more. On top of that there field shows were pretty damn great throughout the season, not saying they didnt repeat some shows for smaller games but overall they had more creative shows than anybody in swac . For example unlv, bama state and alcorn just to name a few. So I personally couldnt pick su over the boom this year. But I respect ur opinion, as did u offer yours these r just mine. 1. JSU 2. Alcorn 3.SU 4.UAPB 5. A&M 6. PVAM 7. TXSU/BAMA 8. GRAMBLING 9 VALLEY

Last edited:
I agree with you. UAPB shows r better than most in swac. UAPB also has a nice balanced sound and plus who couldnt love Graham and those black pants he wear up to his chest LOL.. Also JSUsonicboom its interesting you put SU before the boom. Because 2016 the boom had some arrangements that poured gas on all schools like Father I stretch, pick up the phone, chill bill, fu-gee-la and a host more. On top of that there field shows were pretty damn great throughout the season, not saying they didnt repeat some shows for smaller games but overall they had more creative shows than anybody in swac . For example unlv, bama state and alcorn just to name a few. So I personally couldnt pick su over the boom this year. But I respect ur opinion, as did u offer yours these r just mine. 1. JSU 2. Alcorn 3.SU 4.UAPB 5. A&M 6. PVAM 7. TXSU/BAMA 8. GRAMBLING 9 VALLEY

For Jsu and Su I had to go look at clips of Cranfest and the actual game. I had to see how both bands called and responded to songs and the different drills for field show. And to me SU had a slight edge over the boom.

For Jsu and Su I had to go look at clips of Cranfest and the actual game. I had to see how both bands called and responded to songs and the different drills for field show. And to me SU had a slight edge over the boom.
oh ok you kinda based it off crankfest. gotcha. I based mine off the overall season. I just know this wasnt SU season by far neither was it JSU by far but I did see an increase in creativity this past season from the boom halftime show and should steadily improve season after season. Alcorn definitely deserves second place in my rankings. They had a great amount of power along with better song selections versus previous years where the highlight of there song selection was mr. biggs and hoe check. lol. I marched under Murray at jsu so I can tell there halftime show resembles him with the same ole same ole shows. If alcorn ever wants first place they will have to become more creative and much more disciplined. Murray really doesn't think outside the box, so I expect them to rotate in and out of 2nd & 3rd place for the next couple of seasons. I expect southern to rise bck up to the occasion this upcoming season. I would love for txsu to increase there numbers a bit more along side playing clean and they will become another exciting aspect of hbcu marching bands. Also UAPB has alot of untapped potential but high pants wearing graham has them in a glass ceiling. Though im happy for PV, they just dnt excite me much and Ill leave it at that. lol. A&M has a clean sound and with there band dir being an old school type guy

CONT...........what you see from them for years to come, nothing more nothing less. Bama state, I just dnt know what to say about them. Some days they are ok and others they just BAD. But Im looking forward 2 this years boom, jukebox, SOD and OOS

IMO best shows of the season were. SU Queen city botb. UAPB@ GSU homecoming. GSU show vs Bama st. JSU show vs Alcorn. and these three bands drills were nice too.

If we could get a "Bayou Classic BOTB" level of effort all season long for The World Famed....we'd be back up there. Consistency is needed among other things. Just my .02.

If we could get a "Bayou Classic BOTB" level of effort all season long for The World Famed....we'd be back up there. Consistency is needed among other things. Just my .02.
Very true but that's alot of bands including the ones whom are ranked higher. Seems stands are the main concern for alot of bands because it shows from the shows that yeah this was thrown together. But gsu field shows aren't the issue it's their stands hit an miss at times but who is perfect? But gsu overall sound was nice compared to some just no consistency. But as said above if some bands can put their effort in the Field as they do In the stands then omg swac. How can a band be a top Marching band when their field SHOWS are boring and highly predictable...many bands have lost their mojo and creativity all In all these last two three seasons the swac has did well there aren't any terrible clips out as past seasons.

Back