RATINGS OF SWAC ATHLETICS??

dakid0711

Mr. Enigma
Now that the sports seasons are almost over (track, golf are in ncaa regional competiton), something i gotta
know. If we had $2 million dollars extra in our respective athletic departments, how would you (as the athletic
director for the next 24 hours) spend the two mill? I know that this may seem beneath some of us,
but this question was posed to me this morning by a close friend and I have put some deep
thought into it.

I would probably put the monies into promoting our olympic sports
(tennis, soccer, golf, softball, track).
This is how I would break it down:

soccer - 220,000
men's track - 250,000
women's track - 250,000
men's golf - 100,000
women's golf - 100,000
softball - 275,000
men's tennis - 125,000
women's tennis - 125,000
volleyball - 200,000
bowling - 100,000

marketing - 250,000

this is just one suggestion? Are there more?

dakid0711 said:
Now that the sports seasons are almost over (track, golf are in ncaa regional competiton), something i gotta
know. If we had $2 million dollars extra in our respective athletic departments, how would you (as the athletic
director for the next 24 hours) spend the two mill? I know that this may seem beneath some of us,
but this question was posed to me this morning by a close friend and I have put some deep
thought into it.

I would probably put the monies into promoting our olympic sports
(tennis, soccer, golf, softball, track).
This is how I would break it down:

soccer - 220,000
men's track - 250,000
women's track - 250,000
men's golf - 100,000
women's golf - 100,000
softball - 275,000
men's tennis - 125,000
women's tennis - 125,000
volleyball - 200,000
bowling - 100,000

marketing - 250,000

this is just one suggestion? Are there more?

I would spend the money along the same line as you, dakid. However, being the fanatical track and field fan that I am, the money would be spent like this:

women's track - 500.000.00
men's track - 500.000.00

The other million would be divided evenly between all other sports, excluding football. I really would not put anymore money into the football program. Because football gets its share of the pie. Its the Olympic sports that gets treated like step childrens.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Dakid0711,

Is this a one time 2 million dollar allocation of funds or is this a yearly 2 million dollar allocation of funds?

If it is an one time allowment coming from an alum, then I would quickly create and place a million dollars in an athletic scholarship endowment fund and create an athletic foundation with his/her support to actively manage the organization.

I would also place a said amount on evaluating a strategic plan on how this current revenue could be used to build additional revenue growth and streams that would continually come back to support the athletics department sports over a longer period of time.

Only a small portion would goto increasing scholarships for the next seasons athletics departments operating budget.

--

If it is an allowment that we can expect over some period of time, then I would quickly create and place a proportional amount, based on the said period of time, in an athletic scholarship endowment fund and create an athletic foundation with his/her support to actively manage the organization.

I believe this would help continue to grow the initial investment and then allocate the rest of funds based on my current allocation of funds among the rest of the athletics department sports along with any additional athletic department position that I have envisioned needing to add to help increase the efficiency of my deparment.

Forecasting future needs, this evaluation would based on increasing revenue to point that expenditures would grow to the point that they would cover the cost of the additional staff once the said period of time for the 2 million dollar allowment was concluded.

TSU/BAMA said:
Because football gets its share of the pie. Its the Olympic sports that gets treated like step childrens.

Football bakes the pie, dude.

It foots the bill for everything else.

TSU/BAMA said:
I never said it didn't PNeck.

LOL, I know you didn't.

But the perception that football gets "their share" is wrong in the cases of most successful programs.

I believe you'd find a much smaller ratio of revenue to spending on football than anything else.

Other than football and men's basketball, how many SWAC events were attended by more than 1,000 people this year? Not trying to be funny, just trying to prove my point.

Thankfully, SU is about to fix their major facilities problem. It's sad to see the university's breadwinners (football team) working out in a double-wide trailer, dressing out (in gear with holes in it) in an old gym with no lockers. All the while the softball, tennis, golf, etc. teams pretty much have carte blanche. Granted, they don't spend as much as football, but they make boatloads less.....

PNeck019 said:
Other than football and men's basketball, how many SWAC events were attended by more than 1,000 people this year?

You are making this too easy. The 2004 SWAC Outdoor Track & Field Championships.

Dedicate $1M in to a 5yr interest bearing account with the total matured note appropriated to the establishment of a student/athlete academic enhancement center that could be funded with non-profit dollars donated/generated outside the athletic department. Utitlize Graduate students and Work Study financed students (must have 3.0 or better GPA) as tutorers.

Equal distribution of remaining $1 Million to all sports.

As Jafus asked, I'm not sure if this would be one-time money or yearly.
If yearly, then this wouldn't even be a topic. An extra 2 mil a year for any athletic dept would be a boatload of money and improvements in all areas could be made across the board on a yearly basis.

If it is a one-time sum, I would earmark most of that money for staff, administrative costs and resources (new computers, software) and other enhancements that would allow the athletic department to conduct basic business. I would hire new staff to work in areas that sorely need the assistance...sports information/media relations, marketing/promotions and game/event management. Enhancing Web sites (hiring an outside Web design company) would also be one of the first things on my list. Recruits can't find out about your school if they can't look you up on Google or Yahoo.

We already know how crucial good sports information folks are so I don't need to say anything about them. Marketing and promotions folks are the key to developing corporate sponsorships for the entire department. Signing the local car dealership or the local printing company or drink bottler is the key to bringing in dollars on a consistent basis. But if you don't have good marketing folks, you can't get it done and you'll never have that extra money you'll need when the 2 mil runs out.

Event management and facility folks are the backbone to hosting and running successful, top-notch events. Someone has to be there when the gates open at 3 p.m. and when the last person leaves at midnight. They are the ones who make sure your arena is ready...ticket takers hired, bathrooms cleaned, gates opened, parking sufficient, locker rooms supplied and concessions open and ready for business. All of this might sound small, but think about how important this stuff is during an event. If there's no toilet paper in the bathrooms or the concession stand is out of Coke or popcorn, your game-day experience would be less than ideal.

Your event managers communicate with everyone from the coaches to the media. They are the ones who schedule the events, bring in the National Anthem singers and communicate with the opponents to make sure they know how to get to the arena, where to park their buses and where to take the teams for post-game meals. Your event managers also know how to market your arena for outside events to bring in extra money or national exposure (i.e USA Volleyball competion or NCAA post-season events).

For 30-45k each plus benefits, you can hire an asst. SID, event management director and a marketing director. Of course you would have to come up with a way to 'keep' these individuals after the first year, which means that you don't spend all of your money in that first year.

I would also increase the recruiting budgets in all sports. For most sports, just an extra 5k in the recruiting budget would go a long way.

You have to at least develop a strong foundation in order to build great programs. I'm of the belief that a strong foundation begins with hiring good people and giving them the resources to their job. Everything else can be developed from there. You can always put money into facilities, but if you don't have a good business manager or a good facility director or event management person, you've wasted your money.

funding SID positions :lmao:

you got schools in this conference getting by with undergrads or paying 1 guy a decent salary and hoping he makes water come from a rock.

Jag-Tig said:
As Jafus asked, I'm not sure if this would be one-time money or yearly.
If yearly, then this wouldn't even be a topic. An extra 2 mil a year for any athletic dept would be a boatload of money and improvements in all areas could be made across the board on a yearly basis.

If it is a one-time sum, I would earmark most of that money for staff, administrative costs and resources (new computers, software) and other enhancements that would allow the athletic department to conduct basic business. I would hire new staff to work in areas that sorely need the assistance...sports information/media relations, marketing/promotions and game/event management. Enhancing Web sites (hiring an outside Web design company) would also be one of the first things on my list. Recruits can't find out about your school if they can't look you up on Google or Yahoo.

We already know how crucial good sports information folks are so I don't need to say anything about them. Marketing and promotions folks are the key to developing corporate sponsorships for the entire department. Signing the local car dealership or the local printing company or drink bottler is the key to bringing in dollars on a consistent basis. But if you don't have good marketing folks, you can't get it done and you'll never have that extra money you'll need when the 2 mil runs out.

Event management and facility folks are the backbone to hosting and running successful, top-notch events. Someone has to be there when the gates open at 3 p.m. and when the last person leaves at midnight. They are the ones who make sure your arena is ready...ticket takers hired, bathrooms cleaned, gates opened, parking sufficient, locker rooms supplied and concessions open and ready for business. All of this might sound small, but think about how important this stuff is during an event. If there's no toilet paper in the bathrooms or the concession stand is out of Coke or popcorn, your game-day experience would be less than ideal.

Your event managers communicate with everyone from the coaches to the media. They are the ones who schedule the events, bring in the National Anthem singers and communicate with the opponents to make sure they know how to get to the arena, where to park their buses and where to take the teams for post-game meals. Your event managers also know how to market your arena for outside events to bring in extra money or national exposure (i.e USA Volleyball competion or NCAA post-season events).

For 30-45k each plus benefits, you can hire an asst. SID, event management director and a marketing director. Of course you would have to come up with a way to 'keep' these individuals after the first year, which means that you don't spend all of your money in that first year.

I would also increase the recruiting budgets in all sports. For most sports, just an extra 5k in the recruiting budget would go a long way.

You have to at least develop a strong foundation in order to build great programs. I'm of the belief that a strong foundation begins with hiring good people and giving them the resources to their job. Everything else can be developed from there. You can always put money into facilities, but if you don't have a good business manager or a good facility director or event management person, you've wasted your money.

Sounds like good ideas/concepts to me. You didn't by chance pick a lot of that up getting that graduate degree (Sports Admin ?) at GSU did you? Of course, your work experience has given you additional insight. Thanks for sharing...

Be sure to let us know when you are ready to relocate back to North La (I believe you once stated that you're from Bastrop). We might have just the spot waiting for you... Just imagine, the first female AD! ;)

Im Glad I interviewed Jag-Tig,on the Jaguar Journal 3 years ago! Best move I have made on the Journal.By the way Jag-Tig,you should replace Coach Bennett on the Jaguar Journal(laughing).Great comments Jag-Tig,I agree 100%.Smart and Beautiful,what a combination.

MikeBigg said:
Be sure to let us know when you are ready to relocate back to North La (I believe you once stated that you're from Bastrop). We might have just the spot waiting for you... Just imagine, the first female AD! ;)
Dude, I talked to JT about this very thing. I told her that we could make it happen. She thought I was BSin', but I was dead serious. ;)

I would spend 1.5 million on football, because thats the only sport 95% of all alumni care about and 1/2 million on baseball because I played baseball and I am that arrogant. Damn Title IX. :D

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Awww guys, ya'll are making me blush.

:blush:

yes, I did receive some great training while I was at GSU. I worked for Mr. Robert Piper (may he rest in peace) and I will be forever grateful to him. My instructors were cool too. See, I know how to give credit when it's due. :D If they need someone to talk about the benefits of enrolling in the Sports admin department, tell them to give me a call.

However, I don't see myself moving back to North La. any time soon. I'm doing just fine in B'ham.

Carlos, I'll pay you later for those compliments you gave me. Uh, can you give a sista a call sometimes? :p

MikeB did I meet you in New Orleans? If I did and I can't remember, please forgive me...I met a lot of folks that night. I had a lot of catching up to do since I had only met a handful of folks prior to Bayou Classic. :dizzy:

Jag-Tig said:
Awww guys, ya'll are making me blush.

:blush:

yes, I did receive some great training while I was at GSU. I worked for Mr. Robert Piper (may he rest in peace) and I will be forever grateful to him. My instructors were cool too. See, I know how to give credit when it's due. :D If they need someone to talk about the benefits of enrolling in the Sports admin department, tell them to give me a call.

However, I don't see myself moving back to North La. any time soon. I'm doing just fine in B'ham.

Carlos, I'll pay you later for those compliments you gave me. Uh, can you give a sista a call sometimes? :p

MikeB did I meet you in New Orleans? If I did and I can't remember, please forgive me...I met a lot of folks that night. I had a lot of catching up to do since I had only met a handful of folks prior to Bayou Classic. :dizzy:

Mr. Piper was a great guy and he was good to GSU.

Pave the parking lot around the stadium and baseball/softball field, install electrical outlets for RVs and install new individual seats in the gym. All teams are currently funded.

The point for the post was that if sports fans and alumni would stop the complaining and the bickering ... around another 2 million (or at least 750,000) dollars could be added yearly to an athletic department.

Think about it, at some of our schools, 750,000 dollars is the sum total of several sports budgets combined.

No JT, it wasn't me... you would have remembered if you met me (cuz I'm such a dirty ole man...typical North La. whiskey dranking deacon) :lmao:

Best to you while in Birmingham...keep doing good things!

Back