Racist Hate Mail Reportedly Sent to NFL Players

Olde Hornet

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...896&e=16&u=/nm/20031204/us_nm/nfl_hatemail_dc

MIAMI (Reuters) - A dozen black NFL players have been sent threatening hate mail telling them African-Americans should not be allowed to play professional football and earn stacks of money, a newspaper reported on Thursday.

Related Links
? Memo Sent to NFL Players (Palm Beach Post)

Florida's Palm Beach Post said the NFL's security department sent out a memo last week warning players, and stating that the letters all appeared to come from the same person and were postmarked in Erie, Pennsylvania, or Cleveland and Youngstown, Ohio.

"We do not have any suspects," special agent Robert Hawk of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Cleveland office told the newspaper, saying the bureau was investigating the letters and would prosecute whoever was sending them.

"These letters contained veiled threats. There were overtures of violence," Hawk added.

No one was immediately available for comment at the FBI (news - web sites) office in Cleveland, nor at National Football League headquarters in New York. A spokeswoman for the FBI office in Miami told Reuters she had no information on the case.

The Palm Beach Post said one of the targets of the hate mail was an unidentified player with the Miami Dolphins.

"It was a threatening letter," Dolphins team security investigator Stu Weinstein told the paper.

"It said: 'African-Americans shouldn't be allowed to play professional sports and shouldn't be allowed to make the money that football players make and entertainers make.' Mostly it was about the dangers of racial mixing in our society."

The NFL memo said the sender was usually identified as "All Whites" or "Angry white women."

Yeah, I heard that story on ESPN this morning. What I found interesting is the following comment made by the commentator (also on www.espn.com).

The FBI is investigating several threatening and racist letters that have been sent in the past two years to black NFL players, including one prominent Miami Dolphins player who received a letter in September.

So, who do you think the Miami Dolphins player is?

--silentrage

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
From what I've read, all the letters are coming from the same crackpot. I don't believe he should be getting all this pub. The FBI should have just found his arse quietly, sent him up, and let everybody at the prison know what he was there for.

Publicizing this schitt will just give more jackarses some ideas.

Originally posted by silentrage
Yeah, I heard that story on ESPN this morning. What I found interesting is the following comment made by the commentator (also on www.espn.com).

The FBI is investigating several threatening and racist letters that have been sent in the past two years to black NFL players, including one prominent Miami Dolphins player who received a letter in September.

So, who do you think the Miami Dolphins player is?

--silentrage

The first guy you'd think of would be Ricky, but ESPN did a story a couple of weeks ago about Jason Taylor being married to Zach Thomas' sister. Some white folks still don't take too kindly to that sort of thing.

Yeah, I immediately thought of Ricky Williams also. However, Jason Taylor's name popped in my mind as well because I knew he was married to a white woman.

So many of those NFL players are married to white women it could be any of them.

--silentrage

Back