Race Has Reinvigorated Mississippi State-Ole Miss Women's basketball

Mace

How Nikki McCray-Penson, Yolett McPhee-McCuin bring new look to Mississippi State-Ole Miss​

Tyler Horka
Mississippi Clarion Ledger

STARKVILLE – They say the SEC "just means more."

What "more" means is open to interpretation. More passion? More wins? More championships? Some of it is subjective. Some of it is factual. Place the number of women's basketball programs led by Black head coaches in the latter category.

There are seven Black women's basketball coaches in the SEC. There are six in the rest of the Power 5 conferences. Two of the SEC's Black coaches will face off at 5 p.m. Sunday at Humphrey Coliseum, and they represent the Magnolia State.

Say hello to Yolett McPhee-McCuin of Ole Miss (7-1, 1-1 SEC) and first-year coach Nikki McCray-Penson of Mississippi State (7-2, 2-1). Their ability to relate to their players does not go unnoticed. Twelve of Ole Miss' 15 players are Black. Eleven of Mississippi State's 12 are Black.
"I think it means a lot," redshirt junior point guard Myah Taylor said. "And I really think we can feel that throughout our team. Having coach McCray alongside the other African American women (in the SEC) and the first African American woman head coach here at Mississippi State just means a lot in itself."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
What I said was they find a way to use us against us to benefit them....

I understood what you said, and I agree with your sentiment.

I read the article you put up. All that stuff they were trying to say could've been summed up by "all this women's athletics ballin' was brought to you by the SEC schools being forced to divert football money into women's sports because of Title IX." They wasted a lot of keystrokes trying to thinkpiece that joint.

Back