R. Kelly Can't Read!?

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
It would be so good for him to go back a learn how to read better and donate a portion of his proceeds to help litaracy in America.

That should be considered.... But if this quote is accurate:

And now Kelly himself has spoken out about his troubles, telling "Vibe," "For the record, R. Kelly is not the best at reading and writing. I don't have no shame in saying that.

"I went through a lot of stuff coming up as a kid. We were in and out of school, moving all the time, and I never got the fair chance to get that full attention when it came to school.

He seems pretty content

How can he write the music that he does? His lyrics have to be written down someplace and stored away. Just curious.
Also,he needs to learn how to count his money for himself,or he could very well end up broke.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Butch Wms. said:
How can he write the music that he does? His lyrics have to be written down someplace and stored away. Just curious.
Also,he needs to learn how to count his money for himself,or he could very well end up broke.

Lionel Richie cannot read or write music. He admitted to it himself. If you are in a studio you can record what you play and edit from there. If that doesn't prompt you to read then you are simply rich and illiterate musically or language-wise.....they seem to have picked one or the other in this case.

Butch Wms. said:

You don't necessarily have to be able to read in order to write a song. I think R. Kelly's problem may be that he doesn't read on the level that an adult should.

Freakquency said:
Published May 7 2004

R. Kelly has struggled with literacy all his life -- thanks to his nomadic lifestyle as a child.

For a number of years, rumors have circulated that the singer had problems reading, and a subsequent "Chicago Sun-Times" article was written, quoting "friends and former associates" as saying Kelly could barely read or do simple arithmetic.

And now Kelly himself has spoken out about his troubles, telling "Vibe," "For the record, R. Kelly is not the best at reading and writing. I don't have no shame in saying that.

"I went through a lot of stuff coming up as a kid. We were in and out of school, moving all the time, and I never got the fair chance to get that full attention when it came to school.

"Sometimes I don't feel my spelling is correct like everybody else's. I'm a little slower when it comes to things like that.

"My talent has overwhelmed me -- it automatically beats the pen and pad to the punch. Lyrics come just like that, out of nowhere. God blessed me with a talent I don't see anybody else with."

And this makes perfect sense why all the songs he's written for himself and other artists always include the phrase "after party" and "6 in da mornin'"

Interesting, but where's the source to this story?

I have been knowing this for years. Met Rob about ten years ago. My cousin used to do security for him. Man the stories I have heard about him counting dollars. :smh: They say it once took that cat 2 hrs to count $1000.00

lilC said:
Lionel Richie cannot read or write music. He admitted to it himself. If you are in a studio you can record what you play and edit from there. If that doesn't prompt you to read then you are simply rich and illiterate musically or language-wise.....they seem to have picked one or the other in this case.

In all honesty how many arstist now actualy sit down and write this stuff out on a staff. MIDI killed all that....especialy the wind controller. And its even worse when you sample. Come to think of it....our bands probably have more talent than the artists being that we have to actually read what they doodled around and played :lol:

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
In all honesty how many arstist now actualy sit down and write this stuff out on a staff. MIDI killed all that....especialy the wind controller. And its even worse when you sample. Come to think of it....our bands probably have more talent than the artists being that we have to actually read what they doodled around and played :lol:

PREACH!!!!!!!

Back