R. Kelly Can't Read!?

KtB

Published May 7 2004

R. Kelly has struggled with literacy all his life -- thanks to his nomadic lifestyle as a child.

For a number of years, rumors have circulated that the singer had problems reading, and a subsequent "Chicago Sun-Times" article was written, quoting "friends and former associates" as saying Kelly could barely read or do simple arithmetic.

And now Kelly himself has spoken out about his troubles, telling "Vibe," "For the record, R. Kelly is not the best at reading and writing. I don't have no shame in saying that.

"I went through a lot of stuff coming up as a kid. We were in and out of school, moving all the time, and I never got the fair chance to get that full attention when it came to school.

"Sometimes I don't feel my spelling is correct like everybody else's. I'm a little slower when it comes to things like that.

"My talent has overwhelmed me -- it automatically beats the pen and pad to the punch. Lyrics come just like that, out of nowhere. God blessed me with a talent I don't see anybody else with."

And this makes perfect sense why all the songs he's written for himself and other artists always include the phrase "after party" and "6 in da mornin'"

I knew that. I could tell from the grammar he used in the interview on BET that he was "touched".

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Freakquency said:
And this makes perfect sense why all the songs he's written for himself and other artists always include the phrase "after party" and "6 in da mornin'"

LOL, too funny.

Freakquency said:
Published May 7 2004

Funny...lol

That's just one song, though. It is amazing how he has been able to write all the songs he has written with such a limited level of literacy. But as he said...

"My talent has overwhelmed me -- it automatically beats the pen and pad to the punch. Lyrics come just like that, out of nowhere. God blessed me with a talent I don't see anybody else with."

I hope that this is not true, cause if it it is very S _ D :(

He needs to use some of that wealth to get a tutor or go to Sylvan Learning Center and get help. Can he read Music??????

s h @ m e.

BandFan said:
I hope that this is not true, cause if it it is very S _ D :(

He needs to use some of that wealth to get a tutor or go to Sylvan Learning Center and get help. Can he read Music??????

Of course he can read music...

jag4life said:
Of course he can read music...

I remember my grandpa telling me that some of those old jazz musicians really couldn't read anything but music. :winkgrin: Did he misread that girl's ID in the video? Maybe he though 17 meant 71?

This is SAD. :( I sure hope he gets some training. Not being able to read is nothing to play with, nor laugh at.

SU's Finest '93 said:
This is SAD. :( I sure hope he gets some training. Not being able to read is nothing to play with, nor laugh at.

EXACTLY, especailly for a man going on 40. :smh:

Hoke Coburn (from Driving Miss Daisy)......Dexter Manley (former Washington Redskin)..............R. Kelly.... :shame:

Taylor-Made'90 said:
Hoke Coburn (from Driving Miss Daisy)......Dexter Manley (former Washington Redskin)..............R. Kelly.... :shame:
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!
:lol::lol:

damn, I didn't know Hoke had a last name.
:lol:

mighty hornet said:
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

damn, I didn't know Hoke had a last name.
:lol:

Yeah!!!! I called the old Avondale Dairy and spoke to their HR Rep and got it :D:D:D:D

Yaaass'mmm

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
It is something about music that transcends purely academic pursuits. I find it interesting the people who write the best songs, often can't form a proper sentence. Trendsetting producers often are afflicted with speech disorders. Music is a telegraphic language of sorts. You can say alot with a few words. I think a person with limited literacy probably would have an advantage since all the words they know don't get in the way.

It doesn't diminish my view of R. as a musician. My own granddaddy couldn't read a lick until he was probably in his 30's. At least he admitted he has a problem (albeit not the problem everyone knows he has).

lilC said:
I remember my grandpa telling me that some of those old jazz musicians really couldn't read anything but music. :winkgrin: Did he misread that girl's ID in the video? Maybe he though 17 meant 71?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: @ lilC...that is just plain wrong!

That's why he said Age ain't nuttin but a number....

All the numbers look alike to him....

He got that widebody sitting on 4's though....

Taylor-Made'90 said:
Yeah!!!! I called the old Avondale Dairy and spoke to their HR Rep and got it :D:D:D:D

Yaaass'mmm
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I still remember when In Living Color did that scene where Hoke jumped in the back seat with Miss Daisy and said he was gonna give her what she really wanted.

It would be so good for him to go back a learn how to read better and donate a portion of his proceeds to help litaracy in America.

lilC said:
Maybe he though 17 meant 71?

If he saw 17 as 71 and still went ahead and had sex with her, then he has a bigger problem than not being able to read.
I mean sex with a 71 year old..:sick: :scared:

Back