Question about HBCU choirs

Justin

Just an average brotha
Who has the best down south? Up in Baltimore, it's all about Morgan. In DC, it's pretty much Howard. And from my attempted travels down south, it's about Oakwood, Fayetteville, FAMU, BCC and Shaw. At least that's what the recordings

Who else is there (with recordings)? I'm trying to purchase more HBCU choral recordings. I know there has to be more than what I have mentioned. I'm talking a varied repertoire as well. Can't be mediocre with the selections.

For those who aren't cognizant, for whatever reason, HBCU choirs are a serious gem to auditory behold.

SU has wona few competitions. Dillard has an annual tour around the country and they were on Good Morning America recently.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Is that all?

Is that all? And do they have any recordings for sale? I'm tryna call PVAMU and they got mismatched #.

Tuskegee Golden Voices, Morehouse Glee Club are a few.....Your collection is not complete without the reknown Fisk Jubilees.

I have to agree with that. I just WISH I could BUY more. I'm waiting on Morehouse and can't seem to get any others.

WHAT?! I've been looking too many HBCU choirs with no luck, even with KaZaA and here you go.

You know if they got any Aeolians?

This JUST in

Get Oakwood's CD. It's beyond tight. If you can appreciate and anthem, a spiritual and one gospel song, you can/will appreciat thie.

Re: This JUST in

Originally posted by Justin
Get Oakwood's CD. It's beyond tight. If you can appreciate and anthem, a spiritual and one gospel song, you can/will appreciat thie.

I heard a few cuts off it, yesterday.......they're jammin'

I know our choir (Jackson State) will KILL somebody with a spiritual. They have a ***** wanting to cry. That's all i've heard them do really. They sing the hell out of some spirituals though. They go to alot of festivals just for that. They are deep too. Our concert choir is like 150.

Now that's debatable

Originally posted by "NOISE TALKA"
I know our choir (Jackson State) will KILL somebody with a spiritual. They have a ***** wanting to cry. That's all i've heard them do really. They sing the hell out of some spirituals though. They go to alot of festivals just for that. They are deep too. Our concert choir is like 150.

When it comes to the singing of spirituals, I've found it to be almost anyone's game. I've heard Morgan sing the mess out of Moses Hogan's "Battle of Jericho" & "Elijah Rock". I've also heard Oakwood sing the mess out of Carl Haywood's "Didn't my Lord Deliver Daniel". I've even heard Hampton's "Listen to the Lambs". In many cases, it comes out as a musical ride. It's almost a shoot out when it comes to HBCU's singing spiritals.

Does JSU have a recording? A bruh is somewhat intrigued.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
If you ever get the opportunity, you need to witness the Alabama State Young Hearts in concert. They are awesome!

The choirs of the HBCUs in Alabama participate in an annual concert that leaves the audience mesmerized. They rotate the host city and school. Last year Oakwood hosted the event.

Justin you are right about HBCU choirs. Even Miss. Valley's choir is awesome, especially on Spirituals. I heard Grambling's choir at my sister's graduate in 01, they were good too.

Originally posted by "NOISE TALKA"
Justin you are right about HBCU choirs. Even Miss. Valley's choir is awesome, especially on Spirituals. I heard Grambling's choir at my sister's graduate in 01, they were good too.

Very True. Just a shame that not too many have recordings.

Many of them have recordings, but they don't have the sophisticated marketing and distribution systems in place. You may want to contact the music dept. of colleges to determine if cd's are available.

Originally posted by Jam Piper Jam
Many of them have recordings, but they don't have the sophisticated marketing and distribution systems in place. You may want to contact the music dept. of colleges to determine if cd's are available.

I have. And that's how I, unfortunately, determined that don't have recordings for sale (PVAMU, Southern U, TSU, HIU, HU, GSU, Dillard, Spelman, Bennet, BCC and Norfolk).

I'm hoping that's wrong in the very near future cause my collection is super small.

This JUST in

Saw the "A Vocal Extravaganza in Black" competition yesterday on HUTV. Y'all SWAC choirs be chesting it. JSU and PVAMU.

Impressive.:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Back