PVU travels east. PVAMU vs TnSU '02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by DAHILL

Tsu's field shows got much better this past season. I dont see what the big deal is about PV shows. They dont do the most spectacular drills. Most of the time the band is drilling while the percussion section is doin their thing (BOX does a real good job). I am not a fan of the rapper during dance routine. That is soooo 1980's. I guess I am just not use to their style.

On the other hand... PV isnt a stand band at all. TSU will destroy PV in the stands. PV will need more than Big Ballin and SWAMP IGGA. TSU is going to play the entire second half nonstop and the crowd is going to take over the game. I guess PV is just overated to me. When i first saw them in 96 they were very tight, but after that they were average to me.

Man I guess you just haven't seen much pre 96 Storm. I think the first time a rapper was really used in a dance routine was '97. I think its too much too. I like when they used to just have the announcer interject some lyrics to add the icing to the cake. Aside from that if you don't like corps style type formations and want to see 8 to 5 then you will be dissappointed. Basicaly the BOX feature just seems to take up alot of time because of the shortening of halftime. Back in the day the fields shows were longer.

As far as PV not being a stand band.....we have an extra set of band direcotrs on the side line that try to coordinate the band and football team. :rolleyes: In other words for some reason our coaches trip on us. But trust me the book is a little deeper than you think.

Unfortunately I won't be marching next year but I will be there with the camcorder fo show mane!!!!!:D

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Before I got to TSU, I use to think people were always exagerrating about TSU book. TRUST ME THEY ARE NOT. When I first got here, my roomate was in band. He had a THICK BLUE NOTEBOOK with TSU band spray painted on the outside cover. He had to learn around SEVENTY songs during a two week band camp. I am not talking about sniplets, or fanfares. I am talking about FULL SONGS. The pep band even has a large book and they dont even play songs they played during marching band season. They have a whole different book consisting of songs that came out after football season. TSU can sit through at least 2 bands in the 5th quarter if they go back and forth song for song.

I dunno how I missed this one.

I have seen a few tapes of TnSU. They are definitely a stand band from what I saw. They play quality tunes and sound pretty dayum good playin em.

On the other hand, PV is no joke in the stands. And we have plenty more other than Swamp, Big Ballin, etc. But like Blaque said, half the time, we are cut off by our 'spare' Band Director:rolleyes: . But don't let the smooth taste fool ya. PV is fiyah in the stands as well. But half the time, we have nothing but pride to play for after halftime because the game is.....well.....ya know:(

This should be a very interesting matchup, and I can almost guarantee that you will see a more intense STORM than folks are used to seeing next year and the first 2 games will be a good gut check for the younger members. I hope I will be there.

I hate the rapper concept. In 95, PV's announcer just said what needed to be said, was crunk about it, and had the crowd crunk.

Supa,
I have not seen a tape of that first half, but I remember it well. It was something about that game, we were just feelin it, ya know. But they blew the dog isht outta that This Is For You (I think that's the name of it). Man I was so ready for that 2nd half. But that easily was the most memorable half of my marching career. Ya know where I could get a copy? I got some pretty decent stuff that I may be able to hook up a trade (if I ever get my dayum VCR fixed:mad: .

Originally posted by s phi s
Ya know where I could get a copy? I got some pretty decent stuff that I may be able to hook up a trade (if I ever get my dayum VCR fixed:mad: .

Say bruh P.M. me ya info I got that on tape and I can dub it for ya.

I need that 2000 State Fair Classic

The copy I have of 2000 SFC wasn't that great, but I think I can get ahold to a better copy. Let me check around. I'll PM you some 'alternate options' just in case I can't get ahold to anything.

Originally posted by SUPAKAT69

I beg to differ......... :smh:

P.V. not only has a fi-yah azz sound.....(clean, loud and balanced)....but they got a niiiiiiiice repitoire. The battle in the stands between the rwo will be interesting to say the least.......

A good tape to watch is the stands between SU and P.V. before the halftime........ (dem boys was given that Juke a run for their money.... :eek: )

I have to agree with you. PV might actually take both field and stands.

Originally posted by DAHILL
Before I got to TSU, I use to think people were always exagerrating about TSU book. TRUST ME THEY ARE NOT. When I first got here, my roomate was in band. He had a THICK BLUE NOTEBOOK with TSU band spray painted on the outside cover. He had to learn around SEVENTY songs during a two week band camp. I am not talking about sniplets, or fanfares. I am talking about FULL SONGS. The pep band even has a large book and they dont even play songs they played during marching band season. They have a whole different book consisting of songs that came out after football season. TSU can sit through at least 2 bands in the 5th quarter if they go back and forth song for song.

Well said Dahill. I wasn't gonna comment on this thread but I'll say this Dean( TSU director) isn't gonna take the "Storm" lightly and last years TSU shows were "Just as Good" ( if not better in a couple of cases) as (FAMU's. JSU, and AAMU's,Howard) when they met in the fall. And PV is not half as good as "At least 3 of those bands. As far as the stands are concerned The best thing PV can do is "Leave VERY Quickly "after the game because they won't stand a "Rats ASS" of a Chance.I PROMISE...;)

(*middle finger to "SuScreamer96" for your comment on the first page):D

What people fail to realize is that the Storm will be more motivated against TSU simply because of the TN connection of our BD's. I think PV will be up for this game and I don't forsee the blowout everyone is predicting. I have seen TnSU a few times and have heard a great deal about them. They are off the hook in the stands. I see it being a better battle than PV/TxSU or PV/GSU, and even PV/SU to an extent. The opportunity to face someone new and the fact that they will have to travel to do it will motivate a few people who 'need to be motivated'.

As far as stands are concerned, with it being early in the season I'll give the upper hand to TnSU. It seems like PV starts out the season with very few songs in its book.

I agree. September '02 is light years away in terms of practice and recruiting. I do believe that too many people sleep on PV....not the football team...the band. hehe....yeah us too...damn coaches....
but....
The tape I have seen of TnSu is good....dayum good....but PV will take your crowd....TnSu better have a good field ballad or they will be thoroughly embarrassed. Wish we (Ocean) could get somebody to face like that.....given the motivation that would give this newly "angry" program...ooooh.....thinking about what kind of awakening would take place.....evil smile showing....looking back on the bones and baritones of '01....

Well said S phi S, Honestly. I cannot predict a blowout in any direction. However, I think PV will have to get up for this game!

Im not going to lie, I have never seen TnSu get blew out, except for the 3 crushing blowouts they took from AAMU 98-99 and Jsu 01. They have a lot of stamina, but you will just have to out power them, or they will run over you like a MACK TRUCK!!!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I was told that TnSU usually plays the entire second half.....well if that's gonna constitute a blowout, well then, I guess so.....
I also hope people won't judge it a blowout because someone leaves first.

It should be a good matchup, that's about all I can say, and I will definately be in da house!

Originally posted by GoodFella
Im not going to lie, I have never seen TnSu get blew out, except for the 3 crushing blowouts they took from AAMU 98-99 and Jsu 01. They have a lot of stamina, but you will just have to out power them, or they will run over you like a MACK TRUCK!!!

thats it, the only way to get TSU is to out power them. otherwise, you're a sitting duck.

If they're playing in Nashville, then PV will be in for a long day.... TennState does play nearly the entire 2nd half. And they definitely are a 'stand' band. They'll 'groove' you to death..... I know...They groove JState in Memphis every year. And if they're ahead in the game, and their crowd gets into it, they'll groove song after song after song...... Then they'll sit forever after the game......

I think it'll be a good matchup. PV's got a good shot at gettin' in their azzes.....Somebody go tape it.....

Good luck PV!!!! Good to see y'all travelling a lil more.....Maybe you could 'squeeze in' coming to Jackson on 11/16......:D

Originally posted by the MAD DRUMMAJOR

(FAMU's. JSU, and AAMU's,Howard) And PV is not half as good as "At least 3 of those bands.

Just out of curiosity...When was the last time you saw the STORM?:confused:

Originally posted by BLAQUE PRINCE

Just out of curiosity...When was the last time you saw the STORM?:confused:

In person or on tape??????:rolleyes:

The last time I saw you guys "In Person" was in Texas in 2000, but I just saw you "On Tape" ( several shows from 2001) while in Memphis over the Thanksgiving holiday. ;)

Originally posted by jag4life
As far as stands are concerned, with it being early in the season I'll give the upper hand to TnSU. It seems like PV starts out the season with very few songs in its book.

Yeah I gotta agree with you on that one. TnSU is the kinda band that can get you if they play you early on in the season. They "jump out the gate quickly." I think later in the season PV would definitely be more able to hang.

It will come down to what goes down at band camp. If they get a late start like they have done in some years, then they'll have a problem.

It seems like the year SU is on the schedule at home the administration wants to trip.

But since PV's director is from the area, I seriously doubt he'll let a half azz performance go. If he was playing Paul Quinn at home, he would not care but since this game could damage his reputation, he'll have them ready.

Now don't get me wrong , they (TSU) should be "Worried as Hell" about the PV Band coming to Nashville. (Nashville has never seen a PV show and might not be ready for the "Box"). But the band program at TSU is now "refocused ' and trying hard to make sure that they stay among the "Elite Groups" (Famu, SU, Jackson etc) so I just believe that "Pound for Pound" TSU will be a "little more prepaired" and has " way to much to lose" to let PV be the better group on that night.
:)

Mad, you are absolutely right. But Panther Fan is right also. PV's head director is from Tennessee and the percussion instructor completed his undergrad at TnSU. So they have a lot to lose also, just not in the same way as TSU.

One thing I must point out though. During the course of the game, we are instructed to only play during timeouts or when we have the football (which is usually interrupted by trainers telling us to stop playing:rolleyes: ). So most of the time half the stuff in our book won't get played.

Plus, a person gets tired of playing the same bands over and over. I think the oldheads are pumped tor TxSU simply because its their first game, and who can ever get amped up to play Grumble??:eek: Once you have been in the band for 4 years, you get tired of facing the same comp, and that has basically been all they have seen in the last couple of years (plus SU in 2000, which left some to be desired from both sides). I think the fact that PV will be facing a band that most of them have never seen in a place that noone from PV has played in with focused directors will spell a pretty good day for the STORM.

I need to make plans to be there because whoever ends up being the better band, it will be an 'L' of a battle.

Originally posted by BLAQUE PRINCE

Man I guess you just haven't seen much pre 96 Storm. I think the first time a rapper was really used in a dance routine was '97. !:D

Actually they started using a live rapper back in 1986, it was truely a new concept for bands. Most use their announcers to make their point but it was during the time when rapping was coming to the forefront of the music industry and PV took it one more step forward.

This will be a interesting matchup, I hope the admin at PV let them have a real band camp and not one of those that start the week registration starts. If so PV can get a good book and field show going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back