PVAMU's $70 Million Engineering Building Approved

Storm96

Prairie View (Waller County) — A new $70 million Engineering Classroom and Research Building is coming to the Prairie View A&M University.
The Texas A&M University System Board of Regents agreed this week to include the new building in the 2020-2024 TAMU Capital Plan.
Their decision included the appropriation of $7 million for pre-construction services. That funding is contingent upon completion of a Program of Requirements scoped to the budget.
The new building is needed due to student enrollment growth and aging existing facilities. The engineering complex currently consists of five buildings, of which four are more than 40 years old. The fifth building, Electrical Engineering, was built 16 years ago.Enrollment at the College of Engineering has grown rapidly, from 969 students in 2010 to 1,635 in 2018. The number of graduate students has nearly tripled. There are also now more than 85 faculty and researchers.

$70 Million Engineering Building Coming to PVAMU, Amid Rising Enrollment

Exterior image of Roy G. Perry College of Engineering’s Electrical Engineering Building.

Construction is expected to begin next year on a $70 million Engineering Classroom and Research Building at Prairie View A&M University. The Texas A&M University System Board of Regents approved the plans at its meeting on Oct. 31.
The new building will replace the existing five-building engineering complex to accommodate for recent, rapid growth in PVAMU’s engineering program. Lab spaces will be designed for multidisciplinary research with dedicated areas to support 3D manufacturing, space exploration, data analytics and artificial intelligence, robotics, structural analysis, and more. The three-story building, with an adjacent high-bay facility, will include offices and classrooms.

“Investing in Prairie View’s potential is a top priority for the Texas A&M University System,” said John Sharp, chancellor for the System. “Over the past decade, we’ve invested more than $247 million at Prairie View, recruiting top professors and building everything from a new stadium, the Agriculture and Business Classroom Building, the Fabrication Center, new student housing, and a new Student Recreation Center.”
The Board of Regents amended the Texas A&M University System Capital Plan for 2020 to 2024, with a tentative start date next year for the project. Funding will come from the state’s Permanent University Fund.

Since 2016, enrollment at PVAMU has increased nine-percent, from 8,762 to 9,516, with 1,513 students a part of the engineering program.

I had to recheck the dates on this since they have already started clearing that area to build the new building.

What a nice facility! Southern is in the process of a campus-wide transformation. Nearly every old building will be replaced starting this year. As a matter of fact, just last week, I sent an email to our campus facilities planning director recommending that his office check out PV's campus, in an attempt to aid their building design efforts. This is a true story.

Last edited:
PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas: With more than a dozen gleaming shovels festooned with purple-and-gold bows, more than a dozen university and system administrators, donors, and student representatives ceremonially broke ground on June 8 on a $70 million classroom and research building for the Roy G. Perry College of Engineering. Designed by Stantec Architecture and to be built by Vaughn Construction, the 106,000 square-foot facility will offer lab spaces designed to support multidisciplinary research, a maker space to promote interdisciplinary collaboration and classroom spaces for direct instruction.

“I’ve launched engineering building projects at every campus that I’ve led,” remarked PVAMU President Ruth J. Simmons at the groundbreaking ceremony, “but none of those buildings, at Brown or at Smith or even at Princeton, was as pivotal as the one we set out today to erect here at Prairie View. That’s because the intersection of the nation’s needs and these times, and what Prairie View can produce uniquely well, is represented in this project. If Prairie View could manage to excel and have such an impact for so many years with less than state-of-the-art facilities, imagine what it might achieve with facilities of the kind envisioned here.”

Among those voices heard at the ceremony (and a member of the group wielding shovels) was Joseph Dowell, a PVAMU doctoral student in the College of Engineering who earned his undergraduate and master’s degrees at Prairie View.

“For us, this new building is a symbol of continued growth and evolution for our students and for the College of Engineering,” Dowell said. “This building will provide engineering students with the space and the tools necessary to stay at the forefront of meeting societal challenges, to stay in the position where Prairie View students like to be: on top of our game, and ahead of the game.”

The $70 million engineering facility will be built at the intersection
of E. E. O’Banion Street and D. W. Martin Street on the north end of
campus. Construction will begin in June and should be completed
by August of 2023.

Pamela Obiomon, dean of the Roy G. Perry College of Engineering, briefly touched on PVAMU’s “firmly planted roots” in industrial education in her opening remarks and said that the new building would “build on that legacy of innovation and technology.” Her thoughts were amplified by Elaine Mendoza, the immediate past chair of the Board of Regents for Texas A&M System, who predicted that new, high-tech facilities “will draw even more top talent to Prairie View’s already renowned engineering program.” “Investing in Prairie View’s future has been the priority of our system leadership, and today’s groundbreaking is evidence of that. It’s because we all rally around the vision that Prairie View will compete with the Ivies for top academic talent, faculty, and research dollars and that Prairie View is recognized not only as the top HBCU in Texas but as a top university in Texas, period.”

Chancellor John Sharp of the TAMU System listed Prairie View’s many building projects undertaken over the past decade (an investment of more than $300 million since 2009) and the skyward trajectory of per-student funding during that time. “So much has happened over the TAMU system, but speaking for myself and the regents assembled here today, the most important thing to the system as a whole has been Prairie View A&M University,” Sharp said. “As state support has dropped, the board of regents has stepped up, and they have helped take Prairie View to the next level.”

Much of the credit belongs to President Simmons, Sharp made clear, saying that her decision to come to Prairie View was “the shot heard round the world” and that the “psychological boost” to the university “cannot be overstated.” Simmons, though, preferred to keep the focus on the regents as well as to alumnus Roy G. Perry, another of the honored guests at the groundbreaking. “Your presence confirms the magnitude of this undertaking,” Simmons said.

“We are one of the largest producers of African American engineers in the country, that is well known, and it’s a source of pride, and we aspire to produce engineers of all backgrounds, and increasingly it’s evident we are doing just that,” Simmons continued. “It’s why our students are much sought-after and why our corporate partnerships and funding are expanding rapidly and robustly. I insisted, at some point early in my time at Prairie View, that this building be a near-term priority, and as soon as I said it, we received immediate support from the Chancellor, his staff, and the board of regents.”

Simmons gestured to the line of shovels. “Now, let’s get this show on the road!”

Very good w/ the continual ascension.

So, the old Holley Hall parking lot will disappear. Parking will be an ongoing problem from recent past moving forward.

Last edited:
All of the old "Fuller Hall" parking lot
Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. Duh @ Fuller & I stayed there for 2 yrs lol. Holley was on the eastern-most end for frosh/soph males. Totally forgot. What was Fuller's twin for upperclass female down the same road about 4-500ft away? (I'm lazy)

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. Duh @ Fuller & I stayed there for 2 yrs lol. Holley was on the eastern-most end for frosh/soph males. Totally forgot. What was Fuller's twin for upperclass female down the same road about 4-500ft away? (I'm lazy)

Banks Hall

Banks Hall
Totally blank'd on Banks and Fuller. Too much newness over the last duration. smh

What was the name of the little hall just due north of Suarez-Collins if you are looking east? I think it was relegated as the NROTC hall?

Totally blank'd on Banks and Fuller. Too much newness over the last duration. smh

What was the name of the little hall just due north of Suarez-Collins if you are looking east? I think it was relegated as the NROTC hall?

I think your bearings are off, because Banks was North of Suarez-Collins.
Now if your talking north of Alexander Hall (athletics dorm) that would have been Buchanan.

I think your bearings are off, because Banks was North of Suarez-Collins.
Now if your talking north of Alexander Hall (athletics dorm) that would have been Buchanan.
Fi, I'm forgetting every freaking thing from that era smgdh. You are correct (again). So, S-C was near the old Alumni hall (correct?)

That was Alexander and yes, Buchanan was the one I (also) forgot. Too much, too much...

Fi, I'm forgetting every freaking thing from that era smgdh. You are correct (again). So, S-C was near the old Alumni hall (correct?)

That was Alexander and yes, Buchanan was the one I (also) forgot. Too much, too much...

L.O. Evans was the dorm closest to Alumni Hall I think. It was across from the MSC where that park is now. My first year at PV was the first year the Village opened and once it started expanding, the dorms shifted roles. I stayed in Holley Hall. All male freshmen were still staying there and the females stayed at Drew. Eventually, I wanna say Drew became coed? The summer after my junior year in high school I attended one of those pre college engineering programs and they stuck everyone at Drew. I don't think I've ever been in Suarez Collins but it was still up in 96

L.O. Evans was the dorm closest to Alumni Hall I think. It was across from the MSC where that park is now. My first year at PV was the first year the Village opened and once it started expanding, the dorms shifted roles. I stayed in Holley Hall. All male freshmen were still staying there and the females stayed at Drew. Eventually, I wanna say Drew became coed? The summer after my junior year in high school I attended one of those pre college engineering programs and they stuck everyone at Drew. I don't think I've ever been in Suarez Collins but it was still up in 96

Suarez-Collins was the closest to Alumni Hall as it sat right behind it. Yes, L.O. Evans was the female graduate dorm on the corner across from where the New Rec center is located and it's a park.

I wish they would rename all those new residence halls (apts) after all the old ones and take those "University" this and that off of them.

Suarez-Collins was the closest to Alumni Hall as it sat right behind it. Yes, L.O. Evans was the female graduate dorm on the corner across from where the New Rec center is located and it's a park.

I wish they would rename all those new residence halls (apts) after all the old ones and take those "University" this and that off of them.

I remember the physical areas where the landmarks were located but the names literally escaped me. Drew/Banks were obviously well knowns. But if you didn't stay in Alexander and/or Buchanan, it really didn't mean much in terms of holding a memory. I resided in Holley first 2 and Fuller 2nd 2. Didn't spend that much time in Fuller so I'm sure that's where the huge disconnect is occurring. There was way, way, WAY too much going on during those last 2 years; especially that last year when I moved off-campus 3 weeks into the very last semester and decided to commute since I took only 6 hours. I was about bored to death on campus. lol

PVAMU’s new building to engineer new opportunities far beyond brick and mortar​

PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas (June 19, 2023) – Two years after breaking ground, the sixth addition to Prairie View A&M University’s Roy G. Perry College of Engineering complex is ready to open its doors and offer new opportunities to students and faculty.

The University plans to hold a grand opening of its new $70 million Engineering Classroom and Research Building (ENCARB) this Thursday. ENCARB is situated at the intersection of E. E. O’Banion Street and D. W. Martin Street. Overlooking PVAMU’s enthralling farmlands, ENCARB was designed by Stantec Architecture and built by Vaughn Construction.

“The building provides state-of-the-art technical spaces that support hands-on learning and research activities that are critical to the field of engineering,” said Pamela Obiomon ‘93, Ph.D., dean of the Roy G. Perry College of Engineering. “It has spatial connections and openings to increase the connectivity of students and faculty, as well as create energy and opportunities for collaboration.”

Nearly two-thirds of ENCARB’s 106,000 square feet are dedicated to classroom instruction, with six generalized instructional classrooms and 14 specialized labs. The lab spaces support multidisciplinary research in space exploration, data analytics and artificial intelligence, robotics, structural analysis, 3-D manufacturing, and more.

The remaining third of the facility provides dedicated research lab space for faculty and graduate students. The building is also one of a few in the nation to have a microgravity drop tower for research in space-related conditions.

“Although the College of Engineering had a reputation of producing excellent engineers because of a good curriculum and great faculty, having a building like this [when I was a student] would have given students access to the latest in technology and high-quality resources resulting in a better-quality education,” Obiomon reflected. “The study spaces with modern furniture, inspiring collaborative learning spaces and open lighting adds a component to a student’s successful experience beyond grades and inspires them to achieve their best performance.”

ENCARB is the College’s first new facility in nearly two decades, a period in which enrollment has nearly doubled; the College is now home to over 1,100 students and more than 100 faculty members, researchers and staff.

“The Roy G. Perry College of Engineering Complex consists of five buildings varying in age,” said Obiomon. “Four of these buildings are over 40 years old. The most recent facility built was the Electrical Engineering building over 16 years ago.”

At the same time, the engineering field itself has expanded and evolved. The new building’s flexibility and modularity will allow PVAMU engineering programs to grow and change in the future.

“More buildings are planned,” said Obiomon. “As we grow our programs and increase our enrollment, we will need a large auditorium and more research space.”

New-Business-Drone_1.6.1.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8sY0uBUyUk

A&T we're coming back for our spot!

According to Dean Holland, current enrollment for the School of Engineering is around 1,100 students. However, with bigger and better facilities now in the complex, they are planning to increase enrollment to 2,500 students.

Last edited:
Back