PV student asked 'Is Greeklife compatibal with Christianity

97JSULEGEND

y Jameka Merriweather, Black College Wire

Posted June 26, 2007 ? Does God and Greek-lettered organizations go together?

A debate at historically Black Prairie View A&M University in Texas over Greek-lettered organizations and their relationship to Christianity got so heated that the president of the campus chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., stepped down from his position and denounced his membership.

:: AD ::

Against the Will of God?

The flak over Greek-lettered organizations and their relationship to Christianity dates back to at least the mid-1980s, but how the argument got to this point was an opinion pieced titled "Why God wants you to denounce your letters," published in the student newspaper, The Panther.

In the article, a student anonymously urges others to denounce their Greek letters or steer clear of Greek-lettered organizations.

He said fraternities and sororities were "idols to themselves and to people who long to be a member of them," adding that these organizations take the place of God in some people?s hearts because they spend time "worshiping" the organizations and not God.

The student said, "demons used the founders of secret societies and Greek/Egyptian organizations to create a stronghold for young people for years to come," claiming these demons purposely work against the will of God.

"Organizations encourage members as well as potential members to dedicate all their time and efforts to their success," he said, which conflicts with God's will.

The debate lasted until the semester?s end. In response to "Why God wants you to denounce your letters," the Panther published, "Why God is ONE with my letters."

The author of that piece, B.J. O'Neal, summarized the opposing arguments as "a common mishap that occurs when religious people err in their understandings or over-interpret human action as it relates to historical events documented in the Bible." He argued that people should realize that "the true intentions of Greek organizations are in fact aligned with what God would have his people doing."

O'Neal supported his statements by citing personal experiences and Bible verses.

But it was when the chapter president of Alpha Phi Alpha at Prairie View A&M published his own article about why he bounced from his frat that things got even more intense. Go to the next page to get his story.

:: NEW PAGE ::

'Why I Denounced My Letters'

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I have no ideal about Alpha, but I know Omega and the word go hand in hand.

So...oh well. Tough break.

I've heard about this and it's amazing what happens when one person gets a taste of the truth and runs off with a piece of it.

This borders on lunacy because you can take any involvement too far.People can tell you that you don't need to sit with your ill spouse in the hospital.Let God handle it and it'll be alright.You just get up and come on to church.
I just think that each human being has to prioritize their involvements and not let anything come between you and God.

Dang that is deep, i know of a BGO that has a lot to do with christanity

I dont believe in that, I know my fraternity Kappa Kappa PSI has a pupose. A Primary purpose to fulfill to serve the DIRECTOR of bands and Bands and to promote campus leadership.

And yes we are a fraternity with secrets and etc. But we are not a Secret society like most people think a what a Frat is....!

I dont know what bad that can be to be in a frat and not be of GOD... i cant stand when people try to make something of what its not?

To me this is all about the space you allow the organization to occupy in your life. For some folks, they DO place their org above everything -- including God - the Frat becomes their God. OR, they use the frat as a reason/excuse for doing un-Godly things.

To me, both of those are unhealthy.

To people like that, I say "There was/is nothing un-Godly about the Frat. You used the frat to act in an un-Godly way. That's not on the Frat -- that's on YOU."

True! The Frat follows a lot of what is written in the bible!

Roo!

side note: We pledge alegance to the flag dont we?!?!? We keep the intimate matters of our family secret dont we???? We are at work 8 or more hours a day (more time than we give God), is this our Idol???

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
My take on this is that none of them knew anything about the will of God.

If they were saved they would not have been discussing Greek Letter Organization in the first place. Maybe they should start with Romans Chapter 5. Once we have peace with God through Jesus Christ what can anyone tell you about God will.

That's basically it...:tup:

She joined and then denounced her membership based on this type of mess?

Yep! She pledged the grad chapter I was a member of in Houston. About 4 years later she renounced her membership due to religious reasons similar to the article.

Another reason you have to know and understand God's Word for yourself....

(using my Bishop Eddie Long Voice)...

Watch this...

...and Have a RELATIONSHIP with Jesus Christ!! IMHO This shouldn't be an issue for anyone to make public.

One more thing...if folk would get out of the boundaries of RELIGION, and get out of this CONSTRICTED RELIGIOUS MINDSET, you clearly see that its a matter of choice. YOUR CHOICE!

Back