PV should be all over this coach...

DAHILL

From The News & Observer Saturday, March 23, 2002 5:42AM EST
Shaw must keep coach to duplicate success
http://www.shawbears.com/

Coach Joel Hopkins cheers on his Bears in the Division II semifinal against Kentucky Wesleyan.

Staff Photo By Chris Seward

By BARRY SVRLUGA, Staff Writer

EVANSVILLE, IND. - When Joel Hopkins strolled into the gym Thursday night at Roberts Stadium, his Shaw basketball team already warming up before him, the couple hundred Bears' fans rose instantly, and cheered. And they cheered. And they cheered.

Hopkins is the centerpiece of Shaw's basketball revival, taking a perennial loser to its first CIAA championship and the Division II national semifinals in all of two seasons.

The Bears' season ended that night with a 101-92 loss to Kentucky Wesleyan, the defending national champion. Now, headed into the off-season, everyone at Shaw believes that if this success is to be duplicated in years to come, there is one step that comes first: keeping Hopkins, the charismatic 33-year-old who himself played on a national championship team at N.C. Central.

"We have to find a way to retain him," Shaw president Talbert O. Shaw said. "That's absolutely critical. It is priority No. 1."

Norfolk State, a former CIAA school now in Division I, could pursue Hopkins for its head coaching job, although Norfolk State athletics director Orby Moss Jr. said Friday that his school's search is "in its early stages" and that he hasn't contacted Hopkins.

Hopkins, who returned with his team to Raleigh Friday morning, said his agent is keeping track of any job opportunities that might come up.

"Right now," Hopkins said, "I'm just looking forward to coming back to Shaw."

But the buzz is enough to keep President Shaw alert and aware of what could happen if he doesn't give Hopkins an extension. Hopkins has one year remaining on his current contract, and President Shaw said Hopkins would like a five-year deal. Shaw said he would be willing to do that if they could agree to the financial terms.

"We are discussing contractual matters right now," Shaw said. "Of course, that doesn't make it easy for us. He has been a very valuable man to the team. We have to find a way to retain him. He told me that he wants to remain, but there are others pursuing him.

"That has been a sad history for us. We pick people that nobody would pick up the first time and give them exposure, and suddenly they become so valuable, everybody's after them."

Hopkins' performance with the Bears -- they were 8-18 the year before his arrival, 28-5 this season -- solidified his reputation as a man who can assemble talent and produce wins, as he did at Mount Zion Christian Academy in Durham, where he created a national high school power.

Kenyon Booker, a junior forward who is one of 13 players who will return to the Bears next year, is from Clarksdale, Miss., but played for Hopkins at Mount Zion. After originally playing college ball at Nebraska, Booker followed Hopkins to Shaw.

"Back then, I knew he was a good person and a good coach," Booker said. "I followed his lead, and now, people are going to respect us because he's here.

"He's the core of the team. He's the center of it all. There would be no players without the coach. He put everything together."

So President Shaw wants to take other steps in hopes of retaining Hopkins. Lawyer Willie E. Gary, a wealthy Shaw alumnus and benefactor, has pledged $6 million toward a new basketball arena if another donor can be found to match that gift. Shaw said making a commitment to facilities is crucial to the Bears' continued success.

"It's difficult to come by resources these days," the school president said. "The recession hasn't helped. But that's one of the things we have on the agenda. Now that we're winning, we're going to have more difficulties getting people into that little box we have there [Spaulding Gymnasium, which seats about 1,000]. We really have to accelerate the process."

The school is accelerating the process with Hopkins, too. Shaw said a committee is already looking at the options for a new contract, and Hopkins said he expects "they're going to try to work something out in the next week."

"He's very anxious that we get it set, and I can understand that, because people are after him," Shaw said. "But he told me that he wants to remain at Shaw. He just wants an extension of his contract that makes it attractive."

Back in Raleigh, the cheers died down, Hopkins tried to collect himself Friday. He had stomped so hard on the floor during one of the Bears' tournament games that he ended up with a deep bruise on his heel. He had battled a sinus infection during his stay in chilly Evansville.

"I feel like one of my players," he said. "I'm just so drained."

Regardless of what happens in the next week, Hopkins said he is like any other coach. His experience this season, culminating in the run to the national semifinals,has given him name recognition and perhaps opportunities beyond Shaw. He's just not sure how soon he wants to pursue them.

"Every coach, I think you'd be lying if you said you never had a desire to coach at the Division I level, to coach at a place that had all the resources and facilities," Hopkins said. "I've never really been afforded the opportunity to coach where there's good facilities. Every coach has the desire to have an unlimited recruiting budget, where all you have to do is coach.

"That's a goal of mine, to try to get to that level one day. But right now, I'm learning, and just trying to build."

Staff writer Barry Svrluga can be reached at 829-8944 or bsvrluga@newsobserver.com

I have been following him since HBO or ESPN did a special on him when he was head coach at Mt Zion. I figure if he can recruit the way he did at Mt Zion, that it should be easier for him in college. He turned Mt Zion into a national powerhouse and had players from all over the country going there. Mt Zion was similiar to Oak Hill. Just lookin at the way he turned around a program at Shaw University,the SWAC needs him. PV or even JSU should be on the phone with him NOW.

it is easier to build a D-II powerhouse than D-1. He might be a good coach but some of the guys he has access to now would be much harder to get. When you start talking about grades and eligibility, then the problems arise.

AAMU is a direct result of this. Their decent but not what they wree in the SIAC.

I kind of see where you are coming from, but this coach has contacts all over America... When at Mt Zion High School, he recruited all over America and assembled a national powerhouse. His name is VERY BIG in the North Carolina area. I still believe that basktball is 75% coaching and 25% talent. I wonder every day how AAMU won as many games as it did this year, with the team we had. If I am correct he was only at Shaw one or two years and turned them from a last place team into a Final Four contender.

Back