PSU discourages use of IE

silentrage

Delta Girl
I use Safari or Firefox as my preferred browsers. The only time I use IE is when a site doesn't work on one of those.

Pennsylvania State U. Advises Computer Users on Its Network Not to Use Microsoft Browser

By VINCENT KIERNAN

Worried about persistent security flaws in Microsoft's Internet Explorer, officials at the Pennsylvania State University system have taken the unusual step of recommending that students, professors, and staff members stop using the popular Web browser.

"The threats are real, and alternatives exist," the university said in an announcement posted on its Web site this week.

Penn State appears to be the first American college to recommend against the use of Internet Explorer. However, the CERT Coordination Center, a federal computer-security center operated by Carnegie Mellon University, made a similar recommendation to the public earlier this year.

Internet Explorer, which is distributed free by the Microsoft Corporation, has more than 90 percent of the worldwide browser market. That popularity has made it a favorite target of hackers, who take advantage of the fact that Internet Explorer is much more closely integrated with the Windows operating system than are other browsers. Some security experts also say that Internet Explorer is riddled with bugs.

Just this month, Microsoft disclosed that a hacker could seize control of computers that used Internet Explorer to browse a Web site that contained computer coding written by the hacker. The corporation released a patch to correct that defect.

Read story

Man using IE now is letting your PC raw dog the internet. I would advise pretty much everybody to make the move to Firefox.

silentrage said:
I've used Mozilla in the past. However, I prefer Safari or Firefox.

Firefox is owned by Mozilla.

Did you mean Opera? I had Opera. I didn't care for it too much. It reminds me of Netscape.

Killer Bees said:
Firefox is owned by Mozilla.

Did you mean Opera? I had Opera. I didn't care for it too much. It reminds me of Netscape.

No, I've never used Opera. Only Mozilla, Firefox, Camino, & Netscape. They are all very similar since they are all developed by the same group.

Actually Firefox and Netscape are built on Mozilla if I am not mistaken. They all just have different bells and whistles. Firefox is by far the best. I keep learning new shat about it every week. I also like the auto update deal and the fact that you don't have to wait or rely on an entire OS update for a security fix :rolleyes:

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
Man using IE now is letting your PC raw dog the internet. I would advise pretty much everybody to make the move to Firefox.

:lol: @ Raw Dawg.

You need some Jesus in your life BP.
BP, holla at your boy on that Firefox. Im aint bout to use IE with all the stuff yall saying about them.

I am trying out this browser called "Opera". So far so good. Anything is better than this pop-up crazed Internet Explorer.

Da_Sperm said:
I am trying out this browser called "Opera". So far so good. Anything is better than this pop-up crazed Internet Explorer.

Ill see what's up with it Sperm.
Blaque is going to be uploading Firefox to my new PC............................whenever it gets here. :rolleyes:

Damn UPS. :angry:

Da_Sperm said:

I think Opera has been around for a while. It was the first to use tabbed browsing. It is another good alternative to IE.

Another way of at least blocking pop ups if you just have to use IE is to download the google tool bar. It will give you close to Firefox level pop up blocking.

DIGITAL DOMAIN
The Fox Is in Microsoft's Henhouse (and Salivating)
By RANDALL STROSS

Published: December 19, 2004

IREFOX is a classic overnight success, many years in the making.

Published by the Mozilla Foundation, a nonprofit group supporting open-source software that draws upon the skills of hundreds of volunteer programmers, Firefox is a Web browser that is fast and filled with features that Microsoft's stodgy Internet Explorer lacks. Firefox installs in a snap, and it's free.

Firefox 1.0 was released on Nov. 9. Just over a month later, the foundation celebrated a remarkable milestone: 10 million downloads. Donations from Firefox's appreciative fans paid for a two-page advertisement in The New York Times on Thursday.

Until now, the Linux operating system was the best-known success among the hundreds of open-source projects that challenge Microsoft with technically strong, free software that improves as the population of bug-reporting and bug-fixing users grows. But unless you oversee purchases for a corporate data center, it's unlikely that you've felt the need to try Linux yourself.

With Firefox, open-source software moves from back-office obscurity to your home, and to your parents', too. (Your children in college are already using it.) It is polished, as easy to use as Internet Explorer and, most compelling, much better defended against viruses, worms and snoops.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/19/business/yourmoney/19digi.html?th

Back