Props To JSU Athlete (borrowed from front page)

MikeBigg

Just wanted to give my props to this young lady. Glad she chose to finish her career in the SWAC. Best Wishes to her in a successful future.

Note: That's a classic "Sippian" first name if I ever heard one!

JSU's Scott named Woman of the Year in Mississippi
By JSU Sports Information

Email this article
Printer friendly page

Ambrosia Scott, a graduating senior from Memphis, Tennessee has been named NCAA Woman of the Year for the state of Mississippi. A two-sport letterwinner in volleyball and softball, Scott has maintained a perfect 4.0 grade point average since her tenure at Jackson State.

This prestigious award honors outstanding female student-athletes who have excelled in academics, athletics and community leadership, and have completed their collegiate athletics eligibility.

More than 340 student-athletes were nominated for this year's award by their colleges and universities. A committee comprised of representatives from member schools selected the state winners.

The state-level winners include 27 student-athletes from Division I, 12 student-athletes from Division II and 11 student-athletes from Division III. These student-athletes participated in 16 of the 19 sports in which women compete for NCAA championships, including basketball, field hockey, rowing and soccer.

A national winner - the NCAA Woman of the Year - was selected by the NCAA Committee on Women's Athletics from among 10 finalists. The finalists were announced in mid-September. The national winner was announced at the 2002 NCAA Woman of the Year dinner November 2, 2002. This is the twelfth year that this award - one of the top honors the NCAA bestows - was given. Scott, a transfer from Belhaven College was a middle hitter/middle blocker for the Lady Tigers volleyball team and played first base for the softball team.

A three-year letterwinner on the volleyball team, Scott's powerful serve helped the team offensively. She was ranked first on the team and held up 9th place in the SWAC in service aces, averaging .37 aces per contest. She also averaged 1.41 kills, 1.67 digs and .23 blocks a game. Her best game was against Morris Brown (9/28/01) when she garnered seven services aces. On the diamond, she has been the Lady Tigers starting first baseman for the past two season. Having only played nine games last season because of an injury, Scott was ranked 5th in batting average, batting .333 with four hits and four runs.

Scott is the daughter of David and Lesidia Scott. A therapeutic recreation major, she is the top female student-athlete at JSU. A President's List scholar, Scott is a 2001 recipient of the Halbrook Award, a member of the Phi Kappa Phi Honors Society, HPER Club and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. :D

MikeBigg,

It's good of you to give this young lady props. She deserves it. But ahhh, she's from Memphis, TN. So I guess "Ambrosia" is the classic Tennessee name.;)

Robber,

You caught that...That would have slipped by one of those NSM boys but not ole Robber. You need to consider replacing Get Ready as the "leader" of the mafia. He's starting to slip a bit...plus he's a Hughes guy.:D

On the real, I was proud for the young lady. It's great when one of our student-athletes can be recognized for he accomplishments in the classroom, the community and the athletic arena. We have a lot to offer to our youth, it's good when one of them get this recognition...it exposes our good work to so many other prospective students.

Back