Pro Golfer Cameron Champ Donates $40K to PVAMU Golf

Storm96

Cameron Champ Foundation, Chevron Corporation establish Mack Champ Golf Scholarships at PVAMU

PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas (November 19, 2020) – Prairie View A&M University has announced a $40,000 donation from the Cameron Champ Foundation and Chevron Corporation to establish two scholarship funds for student-athletes on its Men’s and Women’s Golf Teams.
The donation follows the historic conclusion of the pandemic-delayed 2020 Masters Tournament, where Augusta National honored Lee Elder, the first African American to compete in the tournament.

“When Lee Elder walked on the Augusta grounds,” stated professional golfer and founder of the Cameron Champ Foundation, Cameron Champ, “it sent a message: ‘We belong’.”

Inspired by Elder and Augusta National’s actions, the scholarship fund, established by the Cameron Champ Foundation and Chevron, will be named in memory of Cameron Champ’s grandfather, Mack “Pops” Champ. Mack Champ, an African American, taught Cameron Champ how to play golf and, like Elder, inspired his grandson and other minority golfers to pursue competitive golf.

“My grandfather had such an incredible influence on my life and always inspired me in many ways,” said Cameron Champ. “I’m so grateful for Pops introducing me to the game of golf, but also for teaching me that there’s so much more to life than golf. He always stressed the importance of giving back and paying it forward. Last week, Augusta National Golf Club Chairman Fred Ridley addressed how access and opportunities are still barriers to the game, and he hit the nail on the head when he said that the time to do more is now. That really sparked this idea, and I thought, what better way to honor PaPa Champ than to take up the challenge to do more, right now!”

The Cameron Foundation’s investment in PVAMU is a part of the foundation’s work to improve education and access to golf in underserved and underrepresented communities.

“We are incredibly grateful to partner with the Cameron Champ Foundation and Chevron to honor Cameron’s grandfather and help other young golfers who follow in their footsteps to realize their dreams,” stated PVAMU President Ruth J. Simmons. “With our Men’s Golf winning back-to-back Southwestern Athletic Conference Championships, our golf program is among the best in the nation. This scholarship will be instrumental to our student-athletes as they achieve excellence in their education and sport.”

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
125789164_10218101526435107_7909866903725306523_n.jpg

Back