Private housing for JSU planned

bluphiiijsu

Creative Director
February 26, 2002

Private housing for JSU planned

Special to The Clarion-Ledger

Groundbreaking ceremonies will be Wednesday for Palisades@e-City, Jackson State University's only privatized housing community for students, faculty and staff.

Ceremonies begin at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday at 1400 Valley St. in west Jackson. The proposed 10-building complex with a total of 144 furnished apartments and nearly 300 parking spaces is expected to be completed in August.

"This project allows us to offer quality housing for our students while obtaining net revenue. Not only are we eradicating a major eyesore in this area, we are also helping to stimulate economic growth at no cost to the university," JSU President Ronald Mason Jr. said in a news release.

"The benefits for Jackson State are tremendous."

Jackson State entered into an agreement with West Jackson Student Housing LLC, an affiliate company of the West Jackson Community Development Corp., to refer students to the Palisades@e-City.

Bonds totaling $16 million are being issued by the Mississippi Business Finance Corp. Once the bonds have matured, the LLC will convert the project to JSU, an additional economic development enhancement to the core campus.

"The community will have ownership and participate in the oversight management of the program," Melvin Miller, executive director of the West Jackson Community Development Corp., said in a news release.

"This new apartment community was only possible through the collaborative efforts of a most diverse group of people working together," said Charles Frazier, president of the Educational Building Co.

"It is our hope and mission for this partnership to further advance the long- and short-term objectives of Jackson State University and the surrounding community," he said.

Send this article as a postcard

Sounds like a case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.. I am not against the plans but I can imagine how many student load refund checks will be spent trying to stay in those facilities.....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
They are going to use them anyway to stay off campus... Shout I used mine to stay off campus on Lindberg across from Blacks Chapel and I know there were a grip of us staying there with no jobs to the first waiting on our student loan checks to come so we could pay rent...

Bout time!

Bout time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Wish they would have had them back in the day!

:) :)

It's good for JSU

Other schools do the same thing. Apartments are setup for students, and the rent is not market-value anyway. The closest HBCU I can think of is Alabama State. They have student apartments, and the system seems to work very well. It provides the needed housing, and also give students something to 'look forward' to. I think Alabama State regulated that Juniors and Seniors were only eligible to live in the apartments. I think that's right, or at least it's hearsay. JSU needs all the help it can get. And if this helps ease overcrowding, and give students additional housing options, then it can only be a help to the University. And I'm sure the new apartments will run rings around the old Married Student Housing currently behind JAPeoples.

JSU's getting better. One step at a time.......

:D

Back