Prince's New Video Sparks Racism Debate

EB

Prince's New Video Sparks Racism Debate

Fri Oct 15, 9:15 AM ET

MINNEAPOLIS - Prince is once again stirring up some controversy. The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer is generating debate with a new music video depicting an Arab-American teenage girl imagining herself as a suicide bomber.

The "Cinnamon Girl" video ? created mostly in the Twin Cities and released to music television channels this week ? has been criticized on Fox News and CNN.

The New York Post said it "might be the most tasteless video ever." Fox News commentator John Gibson suggested that Prince is "causing trouble," and CNN anchor Kyra Phillips said it is "shaking and rumbling the entertainment industry."

Rolling Stone magazine music editor Joe Levy said the video should be put in context, and the song says that Arab-Americans were victims of hate after Sept. 11, 2001.

Seriously, it is just a video. The man is making great music as he has always done, and alot of folks are looking more into than they actually should be. I can see why someone would want to comment, but I really don't think Prince's intentions were to start any racial debate or for it to do anything with the bombing of the twin towers, or either any other world issues that haas taken place.

P.S. I swear us black folks are our worst critics.

AH ....................... have they BANNED THIS video like M&M's. :rolleyes:

Have BET and their NEW FOUND HIGH PRINCIPLES banned it before they even get it. :emlaugh:

There is no reason to ban it. The video is features an Arab-American woman, who is being called different racial slurs, post 9-11. She retaliates(sp) by bombing an airport. Just an example of hate breeding hate, IMO.

Back