Preacher Snaps at Funeral Service in Bama

cat daddy

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/07/01/funeral.fight.ap/index.html

Funeral evangelist rips mourners, deceased
July 1, 2002 Posted: 8:25 AM EDT (1225 GMT)

LOXLEY, Alabama (AP) -- An evangelist who was asked to sing at his wife's uncle's funeral claims he had a revelation from God that led him to insult mourners and say that the dead man was damned.

Orlando Bethel said he spoke words that "the Lord revealed to me." Preaching over a microphone at the Greater Pine Grove Baptist Church, he told some 100 mourners they were "fornicators" and "whoremongers." He said the deceased, Lish Devan Taylor, had gone to hell.

The microphone was abruptly disconnected. Bethel then reached into a gym bag for what apparently was a bullhorn. Some thought he was reaching for a gun. About half the crowd fled, with a few dragging Bethel out a side door.

"Those boys picked him up when the preacher said he wanted him out of there," said Glenita Andrews, a cousin of Taylor.

Stephen Taylor, who came from California for his uncle's funeral, said it appeared Bethel had planned to denounce Taylor and his family at the June 14 funeral.

Taylor, 56, who died of prostate cancer, was eulogized fondly by other ministers before Bethel took the microphone, mourners said. They said Taylor had gone to "a better place."

"They were lying," Bethel said recently.

Andrews said she thinks Bethel's outburst stemmed from a dispute over property inherited by Bethel's wife, Glynis.

"The Taylor family is large. Orlando and Devan had some problems," Andrews said.

Bethel moved from Miami to rural Alabama about 18 months ago, settling on an acre of land his wife inherited from her grandfather. The couple live in two campers beside their big, blue-striped gospel tent in the Ellisville community off U.S. 90.

Glynis Bethel said her deceased uncle had run-ins with the law and was "so mean he would toss shotgun shells into a burning fire and yell, 'Run!"'

She defends her husband, saying he was mobbed by "unbelievers," one of whom followed Bethel from the church back to the gospel tent and tackled him on the sandy road. The Bethels contend they've been denied justice because no one has been arrested.

Loxley police Chief Cliff Yetter said Friday that he's still investigating, but no one has been charged. He said three officers responded to a 911 call at the church, but did not enter the church during the funeral.

Yetter said Bethel's only apparent injury was a scrape on his shoulder. Bethel was examined at a hospital emergency room five days after the funeral.

Originally posted by cat daddy
http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/07/01/funeral.fight.ap/index.html

Funeral evangelist rips mourners, deceased
July 1, 2002 Posted: 8:25 AM EDT (1225 GMT)

LOXLEY, Alabama (AP) -- An evangelist who was asked to sing at his wife's uncle's funeral claims he had a revelation from God that led him to insult mourners and say that the dead man was damned.

Orlando Bethel said he spoke words that "the Lord revealed to me." Preaching over a microphone at the Greater Pine Grove Baptist Church, he told some 100 mourners they were "fornicators" and "whoremongers." He said the deceased, Lish Devan Taylor, had gone to hell.

The microphone was abruptly disconnected. Bethel then reached into a gym bag for what apparently was a bullhorn. Some thought he was reaching for a gun. About half the crowd fled, with a few dragging Bethel out a side door.

"Those boys picked him up when the preacher said he wanted him out of there," said Glenita Andrews, a cousin of Taylor.

Stephen Taylor, who came from California for his uncle's funeral, said it appeared Bethel had planned to denounce Taylor and his family at the June 14 funeral.

Taylor, 56, who died of prostate cancer, was eulogized fondly by other ministers before Bethel took the microphone, mourners said. They said Taylor had gone to "a better place."

"They were lying," Bethel said recently.

Andrews said she thinks Bethel's outburst stemmed from a dispute over property inherited by Bethel's wife, Glynis.

"The Taylor family is large. Orlando and Devan had some problems," Andrews said.

Bethel moved from Miami to rural Alabama about 18 months ago, settling on an acre of land his wife inherited from her grandfather. The couple live in two campers beside their big, blue-striped gospel tent in the Ellisville community off U.S. 90.

Glynis Bethel said her deceased uncle had run-ins with the law and was "so mean he would toss shotgun shells into a burning fire and yell, 'Run!"'

She defends her husband, saying he was mobbed by "unbelievers," one of whom followed Bethel from the church back to the gospel tent and tackled him on the sandy road. The Bethels contend they've been denied justice because no one has been arrested.

Loxley police Chief Cliff Yetter said Friday that he's still investigating, but no one has been charged. He said three officers responded to a 911 call at the church, but did not enter the church during the funeral.

Yetter said Bethel's only apparent injury was a scrape on his shoulder. Bethel was examined at a hospital emergency room five days after the funeral.
:emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh::emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh:

Re: Re: Preacher Snaps at Funeral Service in Bama

Originally posted by Seeing Spots

:emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh::emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh:

I THINK I'M SEEING SPOTS...
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I can't stop laughing at this hsit!!!!!!!!

He said the deceased, Lish Devan Taylor, had gone to hell. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The microphone was abruptly disconnected. Bethel then reached into a gym bag for what apparently was a bullhorn. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:Some thought he was reaching for a gun. About half the crowd fled, with a few dragging Bethel out a side door. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:Loxley police Chief Cliff Yetter said Friday that he's still investigating, but no one has been charged. He said three officers responded to a 911 call at the church, but did not enter the church during the funeral. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :bawling: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HELL

DA

NAW!!!!!!!!!!!
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I'm always the first to laugh at something, that some deem is sensitive, but if were in attendance, I would've been in a state of shock, the moment Rev. said ol' dude was in hell.

Some of us have sit at some funerals, where we had a good idea someone was going st8 2 hell, though the pastor said that the person was going to a better place. Imagine sitting there, and a pastor actually saying it though.

How would you feel? Would you think the pastor was justified saying what he said, knowing the person whom you're mourning wasn't a decent person? Or would you react the way the family did?

Like Rev's wife, defending her husband's actions, would you welcome, the hard truth at a funeral? Or would you rather be lied to, thinking that everything is OK, and the Pearly Gates awaits them, or you?

I mean, Rev went off on eveybody in there, calling all of them a bunch of freaks, and told them they needed to get their schit together, while they're still here. Is that the kind of hard truth we need to let us know heaven isn't guaranteed for everyone?

Pastor's preach it in church seemingly every Sunday, but a funeral is the harsh reality that tomorrow isn't promised. So was he wrong, or did he take the right stand? Afterall, he did say God told him to say it, and he had a bullhorn, just in case someone unplugged him. So could that bullhorn have been a revalation, as to to what could happen?

NICE

Sorry...I just can't stop laughing, omma get it together to consider your questions

Originally posted by D-NICE
Afterall, he did say God told him to say it, and he had a bullhorn, just in case someone unplugged him. So could that bullhorn have been a revalation, as to to what could happen?

NICE
:lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :lmao: :bawling: :bawling: :lmao: :lmao: :bawling: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :lmao: :lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :bawling: :bawling: :lmao: :bawling: :lmao: :lmao: :bawling: :bawling:

Nice,

I agree with what you are saying. We all want to be told the truth. The problem is, sometimes we don't like the way the truth is delivered. This guy did not need to tell these people they were garden tools and such to get his point across.

hmmmm

Why is that when someone says God told them to do something no one believes them? Fudge this....I'm creating a thread about this.

cat daddy, I'm just asking the question, that's all. I think the guy could've used a little more descretion in getting his point across, but nonetheless, I think some of the people who were in attendance will get his point, no matter how insensitive he was in his delivery.

Afterall, he did use biblical terms in calling them freaks. LOL

I'm just trying to see if that kind of message is warranted at funerals, seeing that in some instances you have people at funerals who don't normally go to church, to get the word of God.

NICE

About time somebody stepped up and said it!!!
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

i don't know

I don't know. Maybe it was wrong coming about the way he did at a funeral. I know that at every funeral they say that the deceased is going to a better place when we know that sometimes that is not the case. We don't know where anyone is going.

I also think that at some churches, like some that i've been to, the pastor would tell the congregation that mostly all of them are sinners and he or she would say it in a nice way. So, most of the time the congregation would take that as a joke because of the way he or she said it. Everyone would laugh and then it wouldn't seem that serious.

But, if that same pastor was to notice that people weren't taking what he said seriously and come out one sunday RAW AND UNCUT with that in your face attitude. Then it wouldn't be so funny. I wonder if they would take it seriously then.

Life and Death is a serious situation and the pastor is just trying to prepare us for the end. But if he feels you aren't listening to him then maybe that's the best way to get your attention and make you think about repecutions.

How did he jsut happen to have a bullhorn? :confused: :confused: :( I'm still puzzled.

Maybe he had the bullhorn because the Lord spoke to him before he left home, and He told the brother to take it with him, just in case his inflammatory comments were taken the wrong way, and someone disconnected the microphone.

Back