Prairie View A&M University president on the the unique challenges faced by HBCU students

What an excellent interview by Dr. Simmons! She is such an impressive lady and an exemplary intellectual. Her comments were both enlightening and refreshing! She represented all HBCUs very well, and I am so glad she explained the relationship between Mackenzie and Toni Morrison as the justification for Mackenzie's recent gift to a select few HBCUs.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Great and spot on responses by Dr Simmons.

Didn't care for ol' boy calling her by her first name, unless she requested to do so. Otherwise, yield respect, imho.

Yeah, I didn't like him calling her by her first name, either. Seemed inappropriate!
Very.

I can only imagine the proper address if she were president at big state U or an anglo president at big state U.

Great and spot on responses by Dr Simmons.

Didn't care for ol' boy calling her by her first name, unless she requested to do so. Otherwise, yield respect, imho.
Yeah, I didn't like him calling her by her first name, either. Seemed inappropriate!

She does that, she will tell you to call her by her first name instead of the formal name with her title.

She does that, she will tell you to call her by her first name instead of the formal name with her title.

The 2 times I spoke with her, she never corrected me calling her Dr Simmons and one of her her great-nephews is my relative which she is aware of. Oh my...

The 2 times I spoke with her, she never corrected me calling her Dr Simmons and one of her her great-nephews is my relative which she is aware of. Oh my...

In a meeting I've been in with her she did say just call her Ruth. Although the respect I have and was taught, I still call her Dr Simmons.

That's why the students have the slogan of "Ruth the Truth"

Ruth_shirts_MKC_TT.jpg

Yeah Dr. Simmons got those kids calling her by her first name. Couldnt be me lol.

I call her "Dr. Simmons " out of respect. When I was at PV we would've gotten kicked smooth the fuck out of class if we called folks like Dr. Frazier or Coach Jacket by their first name lol.

Dr. Lindsay Whorton, president of The Holdsworth Center, recently interviewed Dr. Ruth Simmons for a virtual session with Leaders from our District Leadership Program. Ruth is the president of Prairie View A&M University and the former president of Brown University and Smith College. She was the first Black woman to serve as president of an Ivy League institution. She also chairs The Holdsworth Center’s board of directors. In the interview excerpt below, questions and responses have been edited for space.

View: https://twitter.com/HoldsworthCentr/status/1291539889062907905?s=20

Back