Prairie View A&M "Marching Storm" Invited to NY Macy's Thanksgiving Parade

The Prairie View A&M University Marching Storm band arrived to the city Monday ahead of their performance at the 91st Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade set for Thursday. The ensemble is only historically Black college marching band participating in this year's parade.

Members and staff are staying in Jersey City for the duration of the trip. Before the big performance, band members will get the chance to take in the city over the next couple of days.

Activities include a dinner cruise around Manhattan, Rockefeller Center, the Radio City Christmas Spectacular, a bus tour Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

http://amsterdamnews.com/news/2017/nov/20/pvamu-marching-storm-arrives-nyc/

The Marching Storm is the first organization to lead the parade

23795763_1971625163051887_8371260656084624303_n.jpg

I will be front and center tomorrow! Y'all did know the "Marching Storm" is one my favorite bands, BCU is the other? I don't have to mention the "Boom", y'all already know how I feel about them. :)

Way to go PV .for joining the ranks for attending the Macy’s Parade like another band in the swac! Too bad they aren’t calling Mississippi!

SN- This is an amazing experience for the PV students! Congrats Storm!

Looks like Prairie View's band marched right into an undocumented immigration protest at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade.

Looks like the dumb girl that tried to come for the Marching Storm is getting drug and she's gettin her mama beat down too

I don't care about those salty white folks. They are reaching. Anyway, good job to the Marching Storm and Black Foxes.

Looks like the dumb girl that tried to come for the Marching Storm is getting drug and she's gettin her mama beat down too

So did they other guy....word got spread thru RITS and the RITS crew went in on them too. You don't mess with family...

24059227_1640890745933364_8863603474181054479_n.jpg

A Fall to Remember for PVAMU’s Marching Storm

December 4, 2017 By Marchita Shilo

Take cover! It’s definitely “Storm Season” for the Marching Storm at Prairie View A&M University. The band performed in front of their largest audience yet at the 91st Annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. They were picked from nearly 200 applicants to be one of ten bands that headlined the nationally-televised event.
“I am excited for the students,” Director of Bands Dr. Timmey Zachery said before the performance. “I’m excited because, not only is this is a great opportunity for our students to showcase their skills and represent the state of Texas, but it’s also exciting in the fact that some of these kids have never left Texas before. It’s a very enthralling time for me both as a band director and as a teacher.”

Around 300 members of the Marching Storm spent the past two years preparing for their appearance in New York with around-the-clock rehearsals, performances, and fundraisers.

“I didn’t have to yell as much during our practice runs,” Zachery said with a laugh. “I could tell the students were excited and they were ready. You could just feel the excitement in the air.”

The Marching Storm flew out of Hobby Airport the Monday before Thanksgiving, and in videos posted on social media, everyone was all smiles.

“It’s definitely not raining on the Storm,” said Zachery. “In addition to the Macy’s parade, this semester, our students have performed in the 369th Experience, the regional Bands of America competition and the Circuit of the Americas Formula 1 Grand Prix, both in Austin, Texas. We were recognized time and time again for having one of the best halftime shows by HBCU Sports, we were recently ranked second overall in the ESPN/The Undefeated Band Rankings, we had our most successful High School Band Day ever with nearly 1,000 participants, and we were invited back out to Atlanta this January to participate in the 2018 Honda Battle of the Bands. It’s just been an amazing season and a great year for our program.”

https://hbcudigest.com/a-fall-to-remember-for-pvamus-marching-storm/

Back