Poll: Which first-year football coach will make biggest impression of the 2018 season?

While not part of the question. THEE coach that will make the SINGLE most impact on ANY program in the SWAC is Hal Mumme at Jackson State.

But carry on with the rest of the poll. I just had to interject some truth that may not have been immediately obvious.

Hmmm...I’m trying not to sound like a homer because I truly believe that Simmons will have the biggest impact as far a re-installing some confidence in our program...the attitude and energy already feels different.

After Simmons, I’d go with either Dooley(has a a great track record as an assistant and is familiar with his area) and Maynor(I think it’s gonna be easier for him to recruit at Bama A&M).

Simmons is a known quantity.
Maynor is a known quantity.

The intrigue is in Dooley and NCAT's Sam Washington in their first head coaching jobs.

Washington has been given the keys to a McLaren and basically has been told don't scratch it up. Lot more pressure on him than Dooley.

Last edited:
Simmons & Maynor

Simmons gets the slight edge because he has a tad bit more talent to work with; especially @ QB...

Simmons didnt do too well at PV. He just came off of a 6-5 year in year 3. Thats not a good look. He might turn FAMU around since they are more of a football school than PV and might have a better infrastructure but I wont expect a miracle. Also, some coaches are mired by the school at which they are coaching.

On top of that, how do you measure impact? Some coaches like Dancy and Thornton have a totally different charge than a coach like Washington and Granville.

Glad to see Earnest Jones back on the saddle. That was @mighty hornet favorite coach. :)

Simmons didnt do too well at PV. He just came off of a 6-5 year in year 3. Thats not a good look. He might turn FAMU around since they are more of a football school than PV and might have a better infrastructure but I wont expect a miracle. Also, some coaches are mired by the school at which they are coaching.

On top of that, how do you measure impact? Some coaches like Dancy and Thornton have a totally different charge than a coach like Washington and Granville.

Glad to see Earnest Jones back on the saddle. That was @mighty hornet favorite coach. :)

You dummies better stop sleeping on PV and living in the past:

Prairie View Panthers Schedule - 2017
upload_2018-8-7_21-59-32.png

Prairie View Panthers Schedule - 2016
upload_2018-8-7_22-1-4.png

Prairie View Panthers Schedule - 2015
upload_2018-8-7_22-2-12.png
Prairie View Panthers Schedule - 2014
upload_2018-8-7_22-3-25.png

Hmmm...I’m trying not to sound like a homer because I truly believe that Simmons will have the biggest impact as far a re-installing some confidence in our program...the attitude and energy already feels different.

After Simmons, I’d go with either Dooley(has a a great track record as an assistant and is familiar with his area) and Maynor(I think it’s gonna be easier for him to recruit at Bama A&M).
Not sure what the FAMU/FSU coaching relationship has been but it seems to be flourishing. Taggart could turn out to be a indirect asset to Simmons' recruiting. Now on the home front, Maynor's staff, in my opinion, is the most experienced and recruitment connected we have had since Cooper. With the non conference schedule not being as brutal 6 or 7 wins not impossible.

Biggest impact I'd have to roll with Simmons since he inherited a team that has had consecutive losing seasons. Teams like A&T have been on top for a while so there isn't much of an impact that can be made in the winning department (unless the coaches take the program completely down).

Impression or impact Kennfolks? If it's impact, I have it as FAMU's Willie Simmons/staff and PVAMU's Eric Dooley/staff, w/ the complete nod to coach Eric Dooley. I cannot speak for FAMU because I'm not in the know w/ respect to recruitment/returnees but everyone has seen the type of positive karma he and his staffers instill in his program.

Coach Dooley and staff positively impacted PV's football season before it officially kicked off w/ the solid recruiting and signings. On paper, this is the best PVAMU team ever assembled in modern times of former i-aa and now fcs. I'm sure GSU, SU, and UAPB close followers will know the mantra coach Dooley lives by.

Back