Police to ask prosecutors for warrant to arrest Iverson

jelli

Music Lover
What the Hell is wrong with people....

Police to ask prosecutors for warrant to arrest Iverson
Posted: Tuesday July 09, 2002 9:45 PM
Updated: Wednesday July 10, 2002 12:01 AM

Charles Jones said Allen Iverson had a black handgun but did not brandish it. AP
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Police plan to recommend that prosecutors issue a warrant for the arrest of NBA All-Star Allen Iverson for allegedly barging into an apartment and threatening two men while armed.

District Attorney Lynne Abraham's office will be asked Wednesday to approve charges of aggravated assault and making terroristic threats while armed, Philadelphia police Lt. Michael Chitwood said Tuesday night.

"We feel there's enough evidence there now to do what we've got to do -- arrest him," said Chitwood, who participated in the investigation.

If Abraham approves the charges, the Philadelphia 76ers guard would be asked to turn himself in, police said.

Cathie Abookire, a spokeswoman for the district attorney's office, said Tuesday night that prosecutors have not gotten any word from police about Iverson.

"When we receive paperwork from the Police Department, we will review it," Abookire said.

Iverson has not commented publicly, and no one answered the intercom Tuesday outside his suburban Philadelphia mansion.

The 76ers issued a statement late Tuesday night, saying the team had been advised that "charges are imminent."

"We will continue to support Allen while we await the outcome of these proceedings," the statement said.

Iverson had a gun when he forced his way inside an apartment last week and threatened two men, one of the men said Tuesday.

Charles Jones, 21, met with police Tuesday and told reporters Iverson threatened him and another man in the early morning hours of July 3.

Iverson, accompanied by another man, reportedly went to an apartment complex before dawn to look for Iverson's wife, Tawanna, and cousin, Shaun Bowman, who lives there. Neither was there, said Jones, who has lived in the apartment since March.

Jones declined to reveal what Iverson said or how he threatened him. Jones said Iverson had a black handgun but did not brandish it.

Police Commissioner Sylvester Johnson told KYW-AM that Iverson allegedly had the gun inside his waistband. But Johnson noted, "A bulge could be anything."

Jones insisted he saw a gun. "I'm positive it was," he said.

Iverson's attorney, Tom Shuttleworth, declined comment Tuesday. Another Iverson attorney, Lawrence Woodward Jr., met with police on Monday.

"It's inappropriate for a lawyer to comment about a pending investigation. We have confidence in the legal system and we're going to let the process run its course," Shuttleworth, of Virginia Beach, Va., said Tuesday.

Iverson has not commented publicly, and no one answered the intercom Tuesday outside his suburban Philadelphia mansion.

Iverson, 27, the NBA MVP in 2001, led the NBA in scoring during the regular season, averaging 31.4 points. A three-time All-Star, he led the 76ers to the NBA Finals in 2001, their first appearance in 18 years.

In 1997, Iverson pleaded no contest to a gun charge after police in Richmond, Va., stopped a car in which he was a passenger and found a gun belonging to Iverson and two marijuana cigarettes. He pleaded no contest to the gun charge, and a marijuana-possession charge was dropped. He was sentenced to probation.

:confused:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by KOOP63
n!] Double Amen!

Ya'll know if it was your wife, you'd go looking for her arse with a pistol too. Especially if she was with your cousin.:confused:

Originally posted by saniyya

Ya'll know if it was your wife, you'd go looking for her arse with a pistol too. Especially if she was with your cousin.:confused:

Can't say I'd do the same thing, but I can't fault the brotha for doing what he need to do to find his wifey. I'm glad she wasnt there, i could imagine the scene would have played out something like D'Angelo's song "Shat, Dayumm, Mickey Frickey", then it woulda been so long to a killa crossova.

I still say you know a ho is a ho when you marry a ho.

Originally posted by limefree
He will never learn. Obviously he had a purpose for going over there but having a gun, there is no justification for that.:(

Bullisht...he "had a gun in case they had a gun". Trust me, I would much rather the police catch me with one, than a nucka I got beef with catching me without one!

Let's not jump to conclusions on wifey. It did state that his cousin lived there. Apparently, his wife is cool with his cousin and if they were having problems, it's not far-fetched that she would be with her friend. Not necessarily to give it up to some dude there, but just as a place to get away.

Sometimes suspicious circumstances look suspicious but that's just in appearance. I don't know if she was getting with someone there or not...and from what was presented in the article neither can no one else.

Originally posted by MikeBigg

Sometimes suspicious circumstances look suspicious but that's just in appearance. I don't know if she was getting with someone there or not...and from what was presented in the article neither can no one else.

True, can't jump to conclusions but suspicious circumstances will get a niggra dealt with. :lol:

Originally posted by saniyya

Hell, I wouldn't. I mean, if I had to go through all that drama, then she can stay her a$$ out there where ever she is. She wouldn't even have to come back and get her things. Just let me know where she wanted them delivered.

But yall are right. Iverson is not the "sharpest pencil in the box."

Yeah...I saw the clip on ESPN.

That dude is sweeter than Luther Vandross and Mike Piatsa combined. I think ESPN was doing that for a joke, laughing at every word the dude said.

Back