Pledging Grad VS Undergrad

An aspect of joining a fraternity or sorority that is rarely dicussed is when is it the best time in a person's life to become a member. Crossing undergrad may seem the most glamorous route, but its not convenient for everyones life situation. It would have been a beautiful thing if I would have crossed while at JSU (A Phi A), but I can honestly say that for myself that the appreciation I have for the frat is at a level that could not have been imagined in my younger days. I did submit a letter while a student but it just was not meant to be at that time so life goes on. I don't pass judgement on either method of obtaining membership (grad or undergrad). If that's what you truly desire, you will pursue it after graduation. The only problem I have is that some people make comments like, "I didn't want to participate in those silly activities in undergrad" make me question that induviduals true interest. But you can tell who truly participated in a pledge process grad or undergrad. One aspect is that a true bond was developed between their "ships" or "sands". Actions speak louder than word. Its true that some greeks do put a heavier emphasis on the path that you took to become a member ( you can't always assume because someone crossed undergrad that they actually "pledged" and that all grads are "paper", it just depends on if you are familiar with the activities of that persons chapter), but with todays climate, its about the "financial" survival of our organizations. Just imagine discussing how much wood you took, the missions, or sessions you participated in on your road to membership of an organization that is no longer in existence. Almost like an HBCU that has closed its doors.

AAMU Alum said:
Personally, I don't give a hoot in Hades where a brother was initiated. As long as he is ACTIVE, pays his dues, participates in the activities and projects of the chapter, and is doing his part to uphold the ideals and aims of nation's oldest fraternity established for Black college men, he's alright with me. If he's not doing these things, he can keep out of my sight!
Co-sign! I pledged undergrad at one of the PREMIERE chapter of AKA nearly 30 years ago and have not missed one day giving active, continuous service. But my membership is no more valuable than the sorors who just made my graduate chapter last month!

I am so sick of this non-sensical debate and ATTITUDE about undergrad v. grad, MIP v. "real" pledging. There is always someone who can out trump the way you came in. I remember saying how I pledged 9 LONG WEEKS and my mother, rolling her eyes, and saying that's not pledging, pledging was for 2 semesters...:eek: went on the line in September and was initiated in April! YIKES!

It's not how you were made, but how you are MAKING it in the name of your beloved sister/brotherhood.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
When I pledged the emphasis was on maintaining the highest academic average on campus. Even after pledging was over the goal was the same. These brothers would have study hall every night from 6 to 10:00pm and they were there to ensure you would not bring down the FRat average. Now we had our moments..........., but even going thru that some brothers were good at making a pledgee think. They had all kinds academic mind games to test one thinking. I don't see this happening today. It is about big men on campus these days. They did things that I can still laugh about today. If you thought you could hold a straight face, we had some guys who could make you laugh at your own pledging brother. But for some reason the guys who dish out the most punishment during is most loved by those who get beaten. I am sure everybody had similar experience that I had during this period.

Hi Everyone, Could I please get some feedback!!
I am a 23 year old female, and its always been my dream to be a member of a certain sorority, unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to pledge undergrad because they were suspended, so i'm going for the goal of grad chapter, a friend of mine who has yet to graduate, says its pointless and a waste of money and time do grad, i tried to explain, thats its not all about wearing certain colors, saying a call, and being on the yard its about much more, of course i still plan to persue my dream, but she gave me a lot of disencouragement and i just wanted some feedback.

I personally have respect for all for all bros. and I don't think there is a difference. But I must say that I think grad. bros. are more about business, I can't just say that they really always show they same love toward undergrads. They sometimes look at undergrads and stereotype them not to want to do anything for the frat and sometimes it seems to me that grad bring people in for business now and not so much as for brotherhood. I not saying everyone but some.

latrice said:
I am a 23 year old female, and its always been my dream to be a member of a certain sorority, unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to pledge undergrad because they were suspended, so i'm going for the goal of grad chapter, a friend of mine who has yet to graduate, says its pointless and a waste of money and time do grad, i tried to explain, thats its not all about wearing certain colors, saying a call, and being on the yard its about much more, of course i still plan to persue my dream, but she gave me a lot of disencouragement and i just wanted some feedback.

Go over to small talk and introduce yourself, then we will talk... :)

latrice said:

Latrice,

If you are pursuing membership into the prospective sorority for all the reasons that myself and others have posted on this forum, it does not matter that you will be initiated in the alumni chapter. As for your friend who attempted to discourage you, and tell you that to come through an alumni chapter is a "waste of time," I can tell you now that she sounds like a prospective T-SHIRT WEARER!! She sounds like the type that wants to step, party and throw up the hand sign all day. I call folks like that ETERNAL NEOPHYTES!

Ignore your "friend," and keep pressing on toward what you know in YOUR heart, you want to do. Trust me, as someone who was initiated in college, I have found as much fulfillment in the projects and activities of my alumni chapter, as I did while in school. If you're in it for the right reasons, you will find enjoyment in ALL aspects of the organization.

AAMU Alum said:
Latrice,

If you are pursuing membership into the prospective sorority for all the reasons that myself and others have posted on this forum, it does not matter that you will be initiated in the alumni chapter. As for your friend who attempted to discourage you, and tell you that to come through an alumni chapter is a "waste of time," I can tell you now that she sounds like a prospective T-SHIRT WEARER!! She sounds like the type that wants to step, party and throw up the hand sign all day. I call folks like that ETERNAL NEOPHYTES!

Ignore your "friend," and keep pressing on toward what you know in YOUR heart, you want to do. Trust me, as someone who was initiated in college, I have found as much fulfillment in the projects and activities of my alumni chapter, as I did while in school. If you're in it for the right reasons, you will find enjoyment in ALL aspects of the organization.

Thats what it sounds like to me too!

If you don't know who are from the beginning...a fraternity will not supply you with an identity. I became a Prince Hall Mason at 18....then pledged...

I tell all perspective members of Kappa Alpha Psi to tell me one thing:

Without KAPSI what would you do?
How would KAPSI change you?
Do you believe in ACHIEVEMENT?

It's not ,"What can can the Fraternity/Sorority do for you". But,"What can you do for your fraternity/sorority". A lot of people see Frats and Sororities as a vehicle to make them popular or other selfish reasons. You must ask yourself this question before deciding to pledge and if it is for selfish reasons you probably shouldn't. Man have pledged and are now just stragglers.

It's not ,"What can the Fraternity/Sorority do for you". But,"What can you do for your fraternity/sorority". A lot of people see Frats and Sororities as a vehicle to make them popular or other selfish reasons. You must ask yourself this question before deciding to pledge and if it is for selfish reasons you probably shouldn't. ManY have pledged and are now just stragglers........THE FRAT DON'T MAKE YOU. YOU MAKE THE FRAT!!!!!

I got 43 years in the fold. Active. Most of our organizations have drifted away from our true purposes. Those that embrace our cardinal principles and live our creeds do not see a difference. Often I hear the phrase “what would the founders do”. The Founders would not have selected a lot of members that are in our organizations today, they would not have made the cut. 43 years, 62 years old, I am still paying my rent. I lead by example. Mentor, cut the grass, clean the Frat House, etc., etc.
Omega Psi Phi
T.E. 76
Nu Phi 79 until the day I die. One love, One Omega.

Back