Pi Kappa Alpha-white frat comes to howard

SimplyRedd

Southernite
http://www.thehilltoponline.com/media/paper590/news/2006/02/17/Campus/Fraternity.With.Racist.Past.Comes.To.Howard-1618372.shtml?norewrite&sourcedomain=www.thehilltoponline.com&mkey=1809198#more

Traditionally white fraternity colonizes at Howard

Today, Howard University will become the first predominantly black college to start a Pi Kappa Alpha colony since the fraternity's "whites only" racial clause was lifted in 1964.

According to their official website, Pi Kappa Alpha International Fraternity is a Greek letter, social fraternity. It is composed of men who share the similar ideals of friendship, truth, honor and loyalty. Founded in 1868 on the campus of the University of Virginia, the men of S.L.A.G, as they are also known, believe in the virtues of scholarship, leadership, athleticism and gentlemen-like qualities.

Despite these characteristics, some students have questioned why the organization is coming to Howard's campus given the fraternity's history of blatant racism within some of its more prominent chapters.

"Howard has enough Greek organizations on campus that students have no need to establish new ones, especially ones that weren't designed with us in mind", said Dalontee Edgarton, a senior physical therapy major. He added, "as a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. I feel that it is an embarrassment to add a historically white and racist fraternity to Howard's historically rich Greek legacy."

Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity came under heat on several occasions in the late 90s when members of Auburn University's chapter dressed as Ku Klux Klan members for their Halloween party, and once again at Georgia Tech University when the chapter's "Straight Outta Compton" party, where members were encouraged to wear their most "Ghetto Fabulous" attire, prompted several members to paint their faces black to compliment their "baggy" jeans, afro wigs, and T-shirts sporting the coveted "black power" fist.

Despite these incidents, the members insist that their decision to charter this particular organization here on campus is with good intent.

"We felt like there was a void as far as male students doing positive things on campus," said Jason Johnson, a senior legal communications major and charter member. "We want the campus to be open-minded about what we are doing."

Some students, such as senior physical therapy major Trinity LeFlore, have expressed their anticipation to see exactly what this new brotherhood will bring to the campus.

"I hope they have a genuine love for their fraternity, and it will be interesting to see what they're about" LeFlore said.

According to www.Pikeloyalorder.com "when you choose to wear the Pi Kappa Alpha badge you make a strong statement about who you are and what you believe in."

The winter 2005 edition of the Diamond Shield, Pi Kappa Alpha's quarterly publication, as well as the fraternity's emblem of excellence, encouraged all "brothers" to "demonstrate their commitment to those same sacred ideals that inspired our founding fathers in 1868."

Ironically, it is the encouragement of those same ideals that has some students questioning the intent and purpose of this organization on Howard's campus. "As a member of the Divine Nine I am disappointed to see the fabric of the Howard Greek legacy and traditions be torn by this new addition," said senior marketing major A.C. Onyia, member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.

SimplyRedd said:
"Howard has enough Greek organizations on campus that students have no need to establish new ones, especially ones that weren't designed with us in mind", said Dalontee Edgarton, a senior physical therapy major. He added, "as a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. I feel that it is an embarrassment to add a historically white and racist fraternity to Howard's historically rich Greek legacy."

Narrow Minded:retard:

How is it a good move for Howard?

Anyway, Horace Grant is a member.

Originally posted by EB:
Well, former NBA player Horace Grant and the late Senator J. Strom Thurmond have at least two things in common. They both went to Clemson and became members of Pi Kappa Alpha.

Grant played at Hancock Central in Sparta, Georgia. Hancock County, my grandmother's birthplace, has the highest percentage of Blacks in the state of Georgia. I just thought I would share the info.

http://www.pka.com/about/content.aspx?item=navigable/ProminentPikes.xml#

I don't have a problem white WGLO being on an HBCU campus. I just have a problem with this particular WGLO being on an HBCU campus. The pikes, along with the KA's are notorious around the country for being racist and most have very segregated and racist histories.

Suge said:
I don't have a problem white WGLO being on an HBCU campus. I just have a problem with this particular WGLO being on an HBCU campus. The pikes, along with the KA's are notorious around the country for being racist and most have very segregated and racist histories.

Dont worry, they wont have enough members to drum up enrollment.

Why did they pic Howard? Why not UDC?

I'm curious to see how "different" the Pikes at Howard will end up being compared to the Pikes at PWIs.

Someone attempted to start a WGLO on TSU's Campus a few years ago [forgot the name]. There were two or three "whites" interested and one or two blacks. A month or so later the entire idea faded into the sunset.

There is nothing wrong with a WGLO being on a HBCU, just as there is nothing wrong with BLGO being on a White Campus. How many BGLO was started on White Campus'?

Dr H.. said:
How many BGLO was started on White Campus'?

3 of nine

The Most Noble Clan of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Incorporated, January 5th, 1911, Indiana University @ Bloomington, Indiana

Alpha's @ Cornell
SHRho's @ Butler
Everyone els HBCUs(Howard & Morgan State)

Man it's funny that this is being discussed here. A black guy came in for an interview and he is a member of the fraternity. It is inappropriate for me to ask but I wanted to bad..."what made you join a white fraternity?"

He graduated from the University of Maryland-College Park....

[SOME] Blacks have a serious, serious identity problem. [THEY] can go to grade school, church, work, live in the same area and so on. But, when it comes to "whites" joining BGLO they have a problem "why".

What is wrong with our "People's"

The following HBCU have Alpha Phi Omega "Active Chapters" - A majority of the members are white.

Johnson C. Smith University
Howard University
Florida Agricultural & Mechanical University
North Carolina A&T State University
Tuskegee University
Prairie View A&M University
Texas Southern University
Fort Valley State College
Grambling State University
Tennessee State University
Fisk University
Mississippi Valley State University

So what's wrong with a WGLO being on a HBCU.

Dr H.. said:
[SOME] Blacks have a serious, serious identity problem. [THEY] can go to grade school, church, work, live in the same area and so on. But, when it comes to "whites" joining BGLO they have a problem "why".

What is wrong with our "People's"

The following HBCU have Alpha Phi Omega "Active Chapters" - A majority of the members are white.

Johnson C. Smith University
Howard University
Florida Agricultural & Mechanical University
North Carolina A&T State University
Tuskegee University
Prairie View A&M University
Texas Southern University
Fort Valley State College
Grambling State University
Tennessee State University
Fisk University
Mississippi Valley State University

So what's wrong with a WGLO being on a HBCU.

Most of us are aware there are HBCU chapters of Alpha Phi Omega(most are inactive now). I think the one at Southern lost their charter in the early '90's, but the one over at LSU was all-Black. Alpha Phi Omega actually may not be a good example to use of a WGLO at an HBCU being a "success" because they seem to have all kinds of division within their organization. Some chapters are all-male/White, all-male/Black("Viking"), coed/White, or coed/Black and most think that "their" way is the correct way to function as an APO chapter. Hell, when my ex-wife tried to remain active after she graduated she couldn't because one Alumni Association in the city was all-White/coed and the other was a Viking one. Pi Kappa Alpha may not ever become coed, but I do see some division within the organization down the line if they indeed charter more chapters at other HBCUs.

Actually, if someone at Howard wants to be a Pike that's on them. The thing that I am curious to see is how much they will try to "Blacken" the chapter, if you catch my meaning. In the case with most WGLOs the chapters at HBCUs operate totally different from the ones at PWIs, so I think that the Pikes at Howard will suddenly have handsigns, calls, and so on. In the end, that's all on them and they are ones who will have to deal with it. People have to join what they feel is best for them, but they all should be aware of the possible backlash or consequences of their choice.

Back