Patronizing Black Businesses

The Founder

Buy & Patronize Black Businesses Black People...

There are times I try to but I get pissed off. For example I'm building a home and getting some bids. I went to three black builders...the first flat out told me he can build the inside but he can't build the outside and it shouldn't matter as long as the inside looks like I want it to look.

The second one had completed a home and was showing it to me and my wife. Well I started inspecting it...mind you this was a home he had completed. The dirt work was uneven causing the patio to flood. He said, "oh we can fix that on your house." I told him we wanted the entire home stone and he asked why. My wife showed him the floor plan and the house and he had this look on his face of pure confusion. Then said, "well I'm working under someone else's license," I walked out. The third guy wanted us to meet him where we were going to build a house and got a stick and drew out on the ground how and where he would start as if we were playing sandlot football.

So I spoke to my coworker and he told me about some builders one Hispanic and two white guys. The Hispanic guy met us at his current construction site. Showed us 6 homes in 6 different stages of completion. The two white guys, the first one we were at his office and he showed us video of the homes being built. The third white guy was a bit shady on the phone and was asking a lot of questions.

Needless to say, one thing black businesses have to understand is that consumer is your cash cow. I own part ownership in a yoga company. I can't do yoga the first. My sister takes the lead and surrounds herself with a diverse group of employees.

In my job I have seen a number of black businesses come and go real quick because of lack of understanding of marketing their brand. One lady started a clothing businesses and I felt it would successful. Yet, she never marketed her business or made connections with other business owners. When she saw her business tax bill she closed up shop.

Now there are some black businesses that don't play. They run their business like a well oiled machine and I love patronizing them.

Some of us want so bad to patronize our own a few of our own be jumping the ball so bad it's awful.

@The Founder I know it hurt when you wanted so bad to do business with our own but couldn't. And to add on top of you point our just a lil something they could get right they will get mad at you.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Man, I'm with you. I've had similar issues. I want to so bad and still will continue to try but I've run into some of us that just don't seem to go the whole 9 and have their stuff together and be thorough and professional. I keep telling myself that all races do bad business and they do but I hate when on our part it seems to just flat out be a lack of effort or business education. I wanna patronize black businesses other than the Fish place or bbq shack.

Founder, where are you building and what is the pool like for the expertise you need?

I'm building in Grambling on 2 acres. The pool of builders in this are NICE!!!! My first move was to use a black builder. That way the builder could tell people he built my home. I'm thorough and one class from being a Certified Louisiana Appraiser and Assessor so I know what to look for and what to say to a potential builder and person who wants a home built. When I speak to these builders I tell them that upfront because if I'm paying on something for 15, 20, or 30 years I damn well want it right.

The Hispanic builder is on point. I mean he showed stages from even a lot that has not been cleared out. I asked him why didn't he have his crews working on all the homes at once and he said that he wants potential buyers and builders to see each and every step.

People find excuses not to patronize Black businesses because of the bad apples. I've had Mexicans and whites do bad work or provide bad experiences in their stores/restaurants also.

Would you patronize a black owned business that was lackluster? Seriously...if you went to them with floor plans and the owner said, "No I can't make the outside look like that but the inside can look like that." That's not an excuse...he cannot provide me the service that I request. I'm not going to use him because he is black.

Would you patronize a black owned business that was lackluster? Seriously...if you went to them with floor plans and the owner said, "No I can't make the outside look like that but the inside can look like that." That's not an excuse...he cannot provide me the service that I request. I'm not going to use him because he is black.
I get not contracting people who do not know or appear to know what they are doing. That is why I asked about the pool of contractors. I find it hard to believe there aren't any Black contractors that know their business if the pool is like you said. I thought that it might be difficult finding qualified Black contractors in Grambling.

People find excuses not to patronize Black businesses because of the bad apples. I've had Mexicans and whites do bad work or provide bad experiences in their stores/restaurants also.

Hell one dude told me to subcontract my home so he could the concrete. I went and looked at some of his work and it was HORRIBLE!!!! I asked the owner how long it took and she just shook her head no.

I get not contracting people who do not know or appear to know what they are doing. That is why I asked about the pool of contractors. I find it hard to believe there aren't any Black contractors that know their business if the pool is like you said. I thought that it might be difficult finding qualified Black contractors in Grambling.

It is not difficult. The three I contacted had signs outside of homes they built. I want some exposed brick in the house...one black dude asked me why? Motherfugger cause I'm paying for it. See when I hear questions like that tells me you can't do it. So I show him where the exposed brick should be and he says nah it would be better to have just a wall up.

Huh??? WTF???? n***a bye.

It is not difficult. The three I contacted had signs outside of homes they built. I want some exposed brick in the house...one black dude asked me why? Motherfugger cause I'm paying for it. See when I hear questions like that tells me you can't do it. So I show him where the exposed brick should be and he says nah it would be better to have just a wall up.

Off topic---- do you have a pic of what you'd want that exposed brick area to look like?

Off topic---- do you have a pic of what you'd want that exposed brick area to look like?

Brother I have the complete floor plan I'm sharing with these cats.

I'm not sharing my floor plan because I'm a bit private but this is what I'm referring to...n***a asked me why. n***a cause I want it and my wife want it.

564514_c5800d3f16b7448b9dc206ede2669f90.webp

It goes both ways.

There have been fully licensed, insured, and experienced Black contractors who were recognized at the best in the business in their area. Most of their customers tend to be non-Black. Primarily because Black people were uniformed about the construction process, didn't have the money required (or were simply cheap - wanted a "hook up"), or had lower expectations of quality than the business owner (which the owner couldn't lower his standards because that would adversly affect his reputation).

However, I've learned to be a little less judgmental toward Black business owners and customers. Many of us - owners and customers - are literally trying to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps.

There is no excuse for lack of effort, attention to detail, or poor quality of service or product. But, when we judge, we have to realize that business owner may have fewer resources to work with. May be paying higher interest rates than others. Higher costs for inventory, goods and equipment. May have issues of finding quality help. Higher rates of theft. We never know. Its okay to expect that same quality that you get elsewhere. I think we should strive to be better than other businesses. Just realize our battles may not be the same.

Likewise, most customers are just trying to have something too. That person wanting a house built may not know stone walls are much more labor intensive and costly than a regular brick exterior. Is more problematic over time due to stones coming loose, etc. Most of us have a "dream house" just like everybody else, but wage discrimination is real. Student loan debt is higher among Black graduates. There's a whole host of reasons people just might not have all the finances to fully achieve their dream. Many are first time homeowners or home builders. Just don't know or understand the process. How much things should cost or how long it should take. Does that mean they shouldn't dream? Shouldn't try?

No. I think we should be a little more sympathetic to each other. Realizing that our respective struggles may be different than the larger community. Be more willing to show each other where we're lacking and help each other to overcome those gaps.

I definitely believe in having high standards. In terms of quality of product and service. Actually, in every area of business. Every area of our lives. To get there, some of us need assistance. Some need to be educated. Some need to be pushed.

That's where kindness, patience, understanding, and a dedication to each other and to excellence comes into to play.

Black business owners and the Black community need each other as much as ever these days. People are being jailed for asking to use the bathroom. Brutalized by the police for not wanting to pay for plastic utensils that everybody else gets for free. Have the police called on them for having the audacity to be Black and female on a golf course. Those things didn't happen in Black businesses.

Less than perfect situations on behalf of businesses and customers shouldn't be a reason to abandon our own. Just see it as an opportunity to help us - as a community - get better. Show each other where we're coming up short. Find solutions to bridge the gap between where we are and where we ought to be.

I get what you are saying...but don't try to deter me from getting what I want because you can't do it. This not my first home by no means and I'm not EVER going to move so I'm stuck with it. Would you let a black business change your oil in your car if they said "I can't change it in a 2017 GMC but I can do it in a 1967 GMC." Yet, you own a 2017 GMC. LOL

You should get what you want - within reason. Product and service should be of the highest quality.

That goes without saying. I agree with you totally.

However, having been around the business all of my life and having seen the people and work you speak of up close and personal, I've seen what happens when you reach down and pull them up. I've also seen what happens when we abandon them.

That's all I'm saying.

Demand excellence. But, if you can, help them to get there. The experience will be much more rewarding to both of you.

If you can't help them, then, by all means, choose somebody else.

That's the thing...I believe it you do something...advertise what you can do and don't try to experiment on me and my dime.

In your situation, since this is a one-time deal, you can't sacrifice quality. I understand that. But, what if you found someone who could do the work. Just didn't market themselves as well as the others you mentioned. Would you consider hiring that brother? Showing him how his competitors market themselves. What he could do to get to and surpass their level. How it would help him to build a better and stronger business.

If you can do that, you make the whole community stronger. And leave a lot of grateful and appreciative people in your wake.

While you can't sacrifice quality on your dream house, don't give up on Black businesses that might not be fully ready for the show. If you can, reach down and pull them up.

That's all I'm saying.

My apologies but I'm not going to go in debt for $200k and also show a guy how to market his company better. He needs to get a mentor.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I can go both ways @SUJagFan. I have a few business mentees (which is crazy to me since I am still transitioning to my business full-time and don't consider myself an expert) and I have a few mentors who help me. Sometimes, people not having their stuff together is indicative of bigger issues. If the issue is simply they don't have capital, I can deal with that but if you ain't got your act together in general, na. I almost lost out on 700k in revenue dealing with a person who I was trying to help and she sabotaged me. It took a lot of work to repair the relationship she fucked up.

LOL........I hear you. Sounds like a lazy contractor.

LOL........I hear you. Sounds like a lazy contractor.
I had a similiar experience with my basement remodel. I tried my best to give it to this brother. Everything we asked for was a problem. The hispanic cat just nodded his head and found a way to make it happen.

Last edited:
That's the way to do it. Have mentors and mentees. Realizing that you can be the very best person or company in your field and still screw something up. That's just the nature of being imperfect beings.

What we have to look at is desire and the willingness to strive to be great at something. The willingness to take responsibility for completing a project to a required standard and correcting any mistakes. To me, that's much more important than where a person is right now. More realistic than expecting them to be excellent at everything and to have everything together. Especially when we know we often come from disadvantaged backgrounds.

I'm not suggesting that we accept substandard work. My father's standards were almost impossible to reach. That's what makes for good business. Consistently delivering what people want at a high level. If you find somebody that is willing and capable of striving for that, help them. Don't write them off as another example of "bad Black businesses" because they lack this or that. All businesses lack something. Some just hide it better than others.

I realize some folks can't be helped. Some folks just won't do right. You have to let those folks stay where they are at. You're right, they'll destroy your business. In Founder's case, your house.

But, don't give up on people just because they don't have everything in place. We reap what we sow. You have to pour into people. Sometimes it's disappointing. Sometimes it's a bountiful harvest. However, we get no harvest if we don't sow anything. You have to plant. Water. Weed. Fertilize. People. Businesses.

If we say decreasing the wealth gap is important to us, then this is what we have to do. If we say decreasing Black poverty and thus crime (school to prison pipeline) is important to us, then this is what we have to do. If we want to pass on generational wealth to our children, this is what we have to do.

That's what the "others" do. Support each other even when things are far from perfect. We need to do the same.

I think you really missed the most important points of my post.

1. If you build homes and I have purchased floor plans and bring them to you. You say, I can't build the outside the way you want it to look but I can build the inside. My impression is you can only do 50% of the work. Unacceptable. I'm not even giving you a second thought nor do I want to be your test dummy.

2. If you build homes and I bring you a floor plan and you say, "I can't build that but here is what I can build." Ummmm unacceptable I want what I have chosen.

3. Third black builder...he takes a look at the plans and says, "I'm working under somebody else's license and I don't think I can get that brick on the inside like that, plus why do you want that anyway?"

Now should I have given these three black businesses the chance given these circumstances? I support black businesses but when it comes to investing my money I support the RIGHT business to do the job. Hell I was not impressed by the white builders. I was impressed by the Hispanic builder because he showed me sites of homes in various stages and explained to the entire building process even though I was well aware of it. When I showed him the floor plan he knew where it came from. He then showed 2 homes he was building with floor plans from that company. Now that's business.

I had a similiar experience with my basement remodel. I tried my best to give it to this brother. Everyone we asked for was a problem. The hispanic cat just nodded his head and found a way to make it happen.

Tell me about it.

It's like some black folk feel we should choose black businesses over anything no matter what the work looks like. That should not be the case.

2. If you build homes and I bring you a floor plan and you say, "I can't build that but here is what I can build." Ummmm unacceptable I want what I have chosen.
I really have no problem with this response. He knows his limitations and he let you know. All you had to do was decline to do business with him. I don't see how this is a poor reflection on how he does business. It may reflect on his level of expertise, but that's it.

I really have no problem with this response. He knows his limitations and he let you know. All you had to do was decline to do business with him. I don't see how this is a poor reflection on how he does business. It may reflect on his level of expertise, but that's it.

He advertised his sign in front of home similar. LOL....again remember what I said earlier...I saw the advertisements.

Was that floor plan the same as yours?

Hell no. Not even close which is what pissed me off. Dude was like, "it has the same number of bathrooms and you can make this bedroom in to your TV room."

n***a was trying to sell me a house off the wish factor.

Back