Passenger who died after collapsing on a plane had Covid-19, exposing crowded United Airlines flight to virus

Olde Hornet

A 69-year-old United Airlines passenger who collapsed and died on a flight and received CPR from travellers was confirmed to have had coronavirus.

The flight continued to Los Angeles, with United saying in a statement last week that the initial understanding was that he suffered a heart attack. The newspaper reported that officials later learned he had been feeling sick before travelling but incorrectly did not disclose them on a preflight checklist.

EMT Tony Aldapa, who performed CPR on Mr Hernandez, said on Twitter that he knew the risks but could not have sat by and watched him die without trying to help.

"I knew the risks involved in performing CPR on someone that potentially has Covid but I made the choice to do so anyways. I spoke with the passengers wife about his medical history and she never mentioned he was positive, she said he was scheduled to have a test done in LA," he said in the Saturday tweet.

“I spent the remainder of the flight covered in my own sweat and in that man's urine. I have since become symptomatic myself and am awaiting the results of my second test.”
:tiptoe:

Many people are selfish and don't care about the next person. Some will know they have it and go on like nothing is wrong and don't care who is a casualty......

Back