Parking overflow during Jackson State vs Southern football game irks residents

Dr. Tripp

http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0310/23/m03.html

Parking overflow irks residents

Streets clogged with cars during major games at Memorial Stadium
By Jeremy Hudson
jehudson@jackson.gannett.com

Thomas Grillo can still follow the tire marks made when nine vehicles used his lawn as a parking lot during Saturday's Jackson State University football game against Southern University.

"There were cars parked in between my house and my neighbor's house and a big SUV parked in my back yard," said Grillo, whose Lorenz Boulevard home is just blocks from Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium.

"And the streets were so clogged with traffic before and after the game that it posed a public health risk. If I needed an ambulance or police at my house, they couldn't have gotten here in time."

The JSU-Southern matchup generally fills the stadium to near capacity, which is 62,500.

Grillo said he called the Jackson Police Department to have the vehicles towed, but was told there was no wrecker available. He had no recourse but to let the cars sit there, he said.

Sgt. Jesse Robinson said parking problems like those Grillo had last weekend are civil matters that can't be addressed until a resident complains about the cars pulling onto their property. Even then, there is no city fine to pay.

"We'll go there to make sure there is no conflict," Robinson said. "We don't have the right to go onto private property unless there is a complainant to see. If they want the car removed, normally, we will have it towed at the expense of the person who parks there."

Sharon Silas, 35, who lives on Taylor Street, said she sits on her front porch whenever there are games at the stadium to steer people clear of her driveway.

"People will argue with you about parking in front of your driveway," Silas said. "I don't mind them parking on the streets, but when they start blocking your driveway, that's a nuisance."

John King, general manager of Que Sera Sera restaurant on North State Street, said he has a schedule of every game played at the stadium and has employees monitoring the parking lot during those times.

"Parking is for customers only," King said. "If someone wants to park with us, we charge them $20 and nine times out of 10 they will not park. It's the park and dash people that give us trouble, but we have people watching out for them."

There is a city fine of $93.50 for obstructing traffic or blocking a driveway, court services officials said.

The traffic influx that comes with high-profile games such as the JSU-Southern matchup normally winds up lining city streets with trash, too. Plastic cups, beer bottles and paper bags from fast food restaurants still cluttered Taylor and Oxford streets Wednesday.

But the litter doesn't worry Grillo as much as the gridlock before and after home games because he fears an ambulance won't be able to make it down his road.

Jim Pollard, spokesman for American Medical Response Inc., said the home games normally don't hamper ambulance service. But service was delayed to several residents last weekend because JSU, Millsaps College and Belhaven College each had home games Saturday.

"We do adapt our plan accordingly when there are home games, so that we can position ourselves better," Pollard said. "We have an excellent relationship with law enforcement and they do everything in their power to help us get to where we need to go. But they can only do so much."

Still, Grillo wishes more could be done. "I was yelling-mad when they pulled up in my yard," Grillo said. "And to find out there was nothing I could do about it made it that much worse."

Maybe they should get smart and do like the Memphis residents during the Southern Heritage Classic and start charging to park on their yards. Easy way to make some money

Residents in Dallas around the Cottonbowl charge for parking. Actually they love it. (They make money!!)

I know that's the case in New Orleans for Mardi Gras. If someone's house is on a parade rout during Mardi Gras weekend (Endymion, Bacchus, Orpheus, and the Fat Tuesday parades), you better believe they're charging you good money to park in their yards. Hell, if there's an empty lot in the neighborhood, one of the residents, or the wino's will charge parking in that lot, and it's not there property.

NICE

What about the towing?

At the game the announcer let everyone know that if you parked in the lot owned by Backyard Burgers that your car was being towed. Did anyone on TSPN get towed while parking for Robber's tailgate? :D

They just need to start charging people and guide the parking that's all. They do it at the Magic City Classic. The killer part is they charge the same amount (and in some cases more than) the stadium charges and still have people parking in the yard.

Originally posted by Seeing Spots
At the game the announcer let everyone know that if you parked in the lot owned by Backyard Burgers that your car was being towed. Did anyone on TSPN get towed while parking for Robber's tailgate? :D

:lol:

Our PA announcer be lyin' his arse off. Did you hear him talkin' about the child who supposedly was in the press box looking for his "lost parent." :lol: :lol: :lol:

He coulda been serious about Backyard Burger. But he makes stuff up all the time for a good laugh.

Originally posted by JSU
http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0310/23/m03.html

Parking overflow irks residents

"There were cars parked in between my house and my neighbor's house and a big SUV parked in my back yard," said Grillo, whose Lorenz Boulevard home is just blocks from Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium.

Sounds like his neighbor made some cash last weekend. How the heck does a SUV get your backyard without someones permission. The SUV owner had no recourse if he comes back to find it on blocks with the doors missing.

We paid 5 bucks to park at the Texaco.

Them mugs quit selling gas and were parking people next to the pumps.

Back