"Over-coaching"

TSU/BAMA

Do any of yall believe that there is such a thing as "over- coaching"? And if you do, can you give an example? This topic came up in a heated debate at work today.

Now, personally, I have my doubts, but I would like to get the opinions of SWAC page posters. (I must admit there are some very sports savvy peeps up in here.)

ohhh yeah

That instances of over-coaching every day.

1. Look at the recent fiasco with Florida and Kentucky. Had the game won and the damn Wildcats, couldn't get Lardarsrenzo to eat the ball. The coach seemingly would have let the players take a sack but in trying to embarass FL. they overcoached him into trying to make plays when obviously Fl was overmatched and outmanned.

2. The game is Mon. night, Tampa vs. Indy. What the hell was Gruden thinking. Losing by 3 after being up by 21. He clearly was trying to out coach Dungy instead of playing to his strengths. He started to sit in the 2 deep zone but was getting no pass rush from Sapp, Rice, McFarland, and what the hell was the deal with not beating up Harrison. The games he falter in are when he plays against physical corners. Gruden was trying to protect from the deep ball and guess what, they deep balled him all nite.

3. NC State and Wake Forest. Miami and West Virginia. Both are example where coaches got their issues in a sling b/c they overcoached their respect teams to points where they were out of their normal persona.

Just a few thoughts. could probably come up with more but I got midterms

Peace

Yes, sometimes coaches get so caught up with making a statement that they hurt their chances. I can remember my high school coach would always do most of his coaching in practice. On Friday night, he just managed the game.

Most of his involvement would be to discuss with us what was going on, which plays or players we were having problems with and things like that.

I remember something that he used to say when we would talk about "blowing a team out". He would always say that you play the game one play at a time and if a blow out happens it happens. Never plan or attempt to blow a team out because you overcoach or lose your focus.

I think a player's response to overcoaching is thinking about what he's supposed to be doing instead of reacting and letting what he practiced all week take over.

I am of the opinion that work is done in practice. You need enough reps in practice so that it becomes second nature in the game.

OVERCOACHING IS DOUG WILLIAMS AT GRAM . EUGENE IS A HELL OF AN QB WO CAN THINK ON HIS OWN IS ALLOWED TO BY DOUG . DOUG TRIES TO DO TOO MUCH COACHING . HE CNA'T RUN A PLAY WIHTOUT LOOKING TO THE SIDELINE. HOW CAN HE BE THIS MYSTERIOUS LEADER DOUG WNATS HIM TO BE IF EH WON'T LET HIM THIKN ON HIS OWN . THIS BIGGEST SIGHTING OF THIS WAS THE GAME AGAINST MCNEESE. GRAM WAS ON THE 30 OR 20 . THREE STRAIGHT SHOTS TO THE ENDZONE. DOUG PUTS TOO MUCH PRESSURE ON EUGEN TO MAKE EVERY THROW PERFECT INSTEAD OF RUNNING SOMETIME. HE COULD EASILY RAN FOR 5 OR 6 YDS AT A TIME INSTEAD OF GOING FOR BROKE EVERYTIME.MY PROBLEM WITH THE WHOLE THING IS IT SEEMS AS EUGENE IS IN AWE OF DOUG TO TH EPOINT WHERE HE IS SCARED OF WAHT HE THINKS OR WHAT HE MIGHT DO .I BROUGHT UP TO SOMEONE RNADY HYMES WILL ALWAYS BE HEAD AND SHOULDERS ABOVE EUGENE RAGARDLESS OF EUGENES PERFECT TOUCH. HYMES THOUGHT ON HIS OWN ALSO.HE DID NOT CARE WHAT DOUG SAID ABOUT THROWING IT IN TO COVERAGE JSUT TO LOOK GOOD. HE TUCK THAT BALL AND RAN !!!!!IF RANDY WAS PLAYING AGAISNT MCNEESE LAST YEAR HE WOULD RAN ALL OVER THIER DEFENSE.EUGENE IS NOT THAT TYPE OF PERSON TO GRAB SOMEBODY JERSEY. HE LEADS BY EXAMPLE.HYMES WAS A DIFFERENT PERSON .DOUG AND SPEARS NEED TO STOP TRYING TO LOOK GOOD AND START LETTIGN EUGEN SHOW HIS TRUE TALENT LIKE LAST YEAR WHEN HE WAS RUNNING FOR FIRST DOWNS ANS TD AND THROWING THEM.LE THE MAN PLAY HIS GAME!!!!!I CNA'T WAIT TIL TH ECLASSIC TO SEE WITH MY OWN EYES WHAT DO CALL IN THE CLASSIC AND IF THEY DOWNPLAY IT THIS YEAR.I JUST THINK EUGENE IS IN COMPLETE AWE OF DOUG AND RANDY COULD CARE LESS WHO HE WAS OUTSIDE OF BIENG HIS COACH AND THAT S WHY I AND PEOPLE AT THE DALLAS WERE SAYIGN ALSO HOW DOUG WAS EXTREMELY HARD ON HYMES (GRABBING HIS JERSEY AND HELMET IN GAMES YANKING HIM WHENEVER HE FELT LIKE IT)THA'S WHY TIL THIS DAY I THIKN GRAM WAS NOT UNDEAFEATED . HAD HE STRTED HYMES THEY WULD NOT HAVE LOST. AS WE SAW IN THE NICHOLLS STATE GAME WITH EUGENE STARTING OVER HYMES 12-0 QHICK . IM A JUST A REALIST . IM SORRY TO TH EGRAMFANS I MAY OFFEND . THE GUY AT THE DALLAS GAME OPEN MY EYES TO SOME THINGS TOO ABOUT THIS PAGE. SO I WON'T BLAB ABOUT CERTAIN THINGS . BUT I WILL CONTINUE TO THE QUEST TO SEE EXCELLENCE AT GRAM IN FOOTBALL . IF THAT MEANS SPEAKIGN MY MINE W/O CRUELTY SO BE IT.

Originally posted by MikeBigg
[size=5.5]''''SECURITY!!!!!''''[/SIZE]

:lmao: Calm down, MikeBigg, STC_60 was just answering the question.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I was really just messing with him...hope he comes back. I enjoy his post. Scrabble was my favorite game growing up!

Back