OPRAH PAYS TRIBUTE TO PIONEERING BLACK WOMEN

Olde Hornet

Kudos to Oprah - a class act! A great idea and execution!

OPRAH PAYS TRIBUTE TO PIONEERING BLACK WOMEN: Lavish Affair Held In Beautiful Santa Barbara

Date: Monday, May 16, 2005
By: EURWeb.com
Saturday night in Santa Barbara, California, Oprah Winfrey gave a party that'll be talked about for years to come. Actually it was a lavish tribute to pioneering black women including Maya Angelou, Coretta Scott King, Tina Turner, Gladys Knight, Roberta Flack, Ruby Dee, Della Reese, Diahann Carroll and Diana Ross.

The honorees received secret, hand-embroidered invitations to join Winfrey for what she called "A Bridge to Now" celebration that began Friday with a luncheon at her nearby Montecito estate.

"These are women who, when I was growing up, made a difference for me," Winfrey told reporters, who weren't allowed inside the event. "The first time I saw Diana Ross and the Supremes on the Ed Sullivan Show, it changed my life."

The very generous hostess strolled down the silver carpet to the Legends Ball in a red Vera Wang gown at the Bacara Resort and Spa by the sea.

On Friday night, Winfrey hooked up the new jacks with their older counterparts at a party at her home. Among those attending that affair were Ashanti, Mariah Carey, Alicia Keys and Patti LaBelle, who said, "There was nobody hating on nobody."

Keys, by the way, confirmed that she has been asked by Winfrey to play Lena Horne (one of the weekend's absentee legends) in a biopic Winfrey will produce, reports USA Today.

The paper also reported that eighty cases of champagne were flown in from France, 120 pounds of tuna arrived from Japan, and 20,000 white peonies were sent from Israel and Ecuador. Michael McDonald and a 26-piece classical orchestra entertained. Each of the honorees was put up in a suite at Winfrey's expense.

Others at Saturday's event included Gladys Knight, Halle Berry, Chris Tucker, Usher, Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, Tom Cruise Janet Jackson, Mary J. Blige, The Wayans Brothers, Diane Sawyer, Barbara Walters and Maria Shriver, California First Lady.

"Oprah told me this has been one of the most extraordinary events of her life," said Gayle King, Oprah's best friend to USA Today. "We never could have anticipated such a love fest between the generations."

I saw a bit of it on E! also. Lena Horne is still a beautiful woman. Hats off to O for honoring black women.

Awesome. Keep doing it BIG Oprah. :tup:

:topic: I'd like to see what Chris looked like that night. :ebrow:

CriTAUcal said:
I saw his comment, too and just ignored it.

And that's why I love you and Ms. Fortitude. :kiss: But it does not take away from what she has accomplished. I just know that's her preference. But I am suprised that you all have not figured it out either. I would bang her though. :lol:

CriTAUcal said:
So how you know?

How long did it take you to figure out that Eddie Murphy was gay? Before or after he caught with the transvestite. We knew when Beverly Hills Cop II came out somenthing wasn't right.

As for Ofree. Since I used to reside in the area of her show, I heard things (her friend Gayle) for one. Two, ain't no black woman gone be engaged to no kneegrow fa over ten years and not get married. Some things just don't add up. That's the short version. Just like Shemar Moore is gay/bi-sexual like a mug.

northern tiger said:
Two, ain't no black woman gone be engaged to no kneegrow fa over ten years and not get married.
I've always thought Oprah was pulling a "Janet Jackson/Rene Elizondo."

I want that picture - the legends luncheon picture - I hope she sells it with the money going to her charity (Oprah's Angel Network).

Back