"Oprah BOTHERS me" Taken from Okayplayer!

JSU*Toi

MFreeman
Mar-27-02, 01:17 AM (EST)
"Oprah BOTHERS me"
I MUST tear this monkey off my back. Oprah is seriously getting on my nerves. After my midnight dose of P.I., my fam/friends insist on watching Oprah. Sometimes I watch along with them, just as an effort to be open-minded. But alas, every time I watch her show, I am incredibly disappointed. Here are my reasons:

1-Often times, the guests on her show complain about the stupidest things. I feel like slappin? them and telling them, ?THOSE ARE NOT REAL PROBLEMS!!? For Christ?s sake, in one show, some middle-class mom felt badly about not being able to buy everything her kids wanted?..and her 6 year old daughter owned like 20 pair of shoes?.WTF? Is this something worth losing sleep over? In another show, some woman felt her marriage was being threatened just because her husband gained a few pounds. Again, WTF? What kind of problems are these? Why does Oprah dedicate so many shows to helping out middle-upper class white folks who get their panties in a bunch over the most trifling matters??? Why???

2-related to #1
Why is Oprah using her power to help out rich, white folks? Why doesn?t she use her power to address social/political issues related to people of color? Yes, I know her shows on rape prevention transcends color?.but really, every one knows rape is a bad thing?.it?s already being addressed everywhere?.
By now, Oprah?s probably the most powerful Black woman in the world. Heck, any book she recommends ends up on the National Bestseller List. So, why not use this power to change the system?

3-She let Bush appear on her show??WTF? And this was prior to the 9-11 fiasco?She let Gore come on so she did it out of objectivity?? Why does she let someone like Bush be a guest and yet, political figures of real importance (eg. Angela Davis) have no voice on her show? What about Ralph Nader? How come he wasn?t invited?
If only Oprah would do a show on Mumia or Iman-Jamil?..the least she can do is present their stories to the world.

4-Enough with the 9-11/firefighter/Giuliani tributes. She declared Giuliani ?America?s mayor?. Either she?s really stupid or she must have really short-term memory CUZ Giuliani?s a racial-profiling bastard.

5-She?s a journalist. Journalists are supposed to present both sides of the story.

6-She addressed the light/dark skinned thing a couple of times. And yet, she uses special lighting on her show that makes her skin several shades lighter. I?ve seen her in person and she?s much darker than the show makes her out to be. Why can?t she just accept the way she looks-isn?t this the theme of every other show???

Oprah?s an intelligent woman. And, I don?t think she?s evil. How can an intelligent woman like her be sooo clueless. Or, maybe she?s not clueless. Maybe she just doesn?t care

While I don't agree with some things this brother said, for the most part he was on point!!! The things I do agree with are in bold.

What do you think???

I feel you on some of this but,

She addressed the light/dark skinned thing a couple of times. And yet, she uses special lighting on her show that makes her skin several shades lighter. I?ve seen her in person and she?s much darker than the show makes her out to be. Why can?t she just accept the way she looks-isn?t this the theme of every other show???

This is done for all people of color. It's a stage/television thing.
If you ever see a black person on tv that looks dark as "L", you'll be saying why don't they turn the lights on so we can see.
If you notice all white people are not the same shade either.
They are well lit.:nod:

I have not seen Oprah in years. As a matter of fact I have only seen her show once in over 10 years, and it was at someone else's apartment. And I did not see it too much before then.

I have to wonder about someone who only has her picture on the front cover of her magazine. I know it is her magazine. But she could use a little variety.

Re: I feel you on some of this but,

Originally posted by aamuprettywoman

This is done for all people of color. It's a stage/television thing.
If you ever see a black person on tv that looks dark as "L", you'll be saying why don't they turn the lights on so we can see.
If you notice all white people are not the same shade either.
They are well lit.:nod:

Considering the fact that you were a news producer. I believe you know what the "L" you're talking about. :D

I love Oprah. She does not need to cater to me to make me appreciate her as a sister!

I like Oprah per say as a strong sister but I don't like her show anymore. She doesn't cater to real causes anymore.

Re: Re: I feel you on some of this but,

Originally posted by Ms. Jag4Jag

I love Oprah. She does not need to cater to me to make me appreciate her as a sister!

I understand where you are coming from. But really her show does not handle issues in our community... Being that she does have a voice that many people listen to should she not use it for betterment of her people????

It is only so much Dr. Phil a person can handle:confused:

And why has she not had people on her show who are doing things for us....

Tavis???
Arron McGruder???
Sonia Sanchez?

But she will put Bernie Mac and Will Smith on the show???

Also how much has she given to TSU????

I see her everyone dang month at Spelman...

But that is just me :smh:

Ditto

Originally posted by JSUII
I like Oprah per say as a strong sister but I don't like her show anymore. She doesn't cater to real causes anymore.

You took the word right out of my mouth

The reason why her shows cater to issues and themes addressed to middle class, white America is because the NIELSON ratings bear out that they are her STRONGEST audience. They watch her, they love her, and they keep her show on.

I don't watch her unless a celebrity is on that I want to see. Also do you guys think Iyanla SOLD OUT on her focus once her books went mainstream. She seems to cater to middle class white America too. I have NEVER seen her show. I hate that she dyed her hair red and is not wearing it natural anymore. If you were one of her "early" readers you know what the significance of her hairstyle was. Now that she is wearing it like that, does that mean that "purpose and identification" is gone too.

Anyway, Oprah's white female audience in Omaha, Nebraska will keep her on and on top of the ratings until her stop date in 2006.

Oprah is doing what she's doing because she can.

JSU Toi:
I understand where you are coming from. But really her show does not handle issues in our community... Being that she does have a voice that many people listen to should she not use it for betterment of her people???? It's only so much Dr. Phil, a person can handle.

Who are we to tell her what she should do with her talent/her gift? Let her live her own dream. Can you tell your boss (consider the company your working for now what to do and how to run his organiztion and he take everything you say and run with it.) He may take some things, but ultimately, it's his/her decision to run his/her company the way he/she sees fit.

I don't watch her show half as much as I used to because my schedule does not permit me to do so. However, Oprah doesn't have the limitations that most talk show hosts have, meaning...she owns her own production company and magazine.
That means she's CEO and EP and can do what the "L" she wants.

I'm proud of the sister, but don't get into the "sell-out hype". She's doing what works for her. It's just like anything else in life...especially on the job. You can't tell anyone how to run their company (consider the job you are working now), and expect them to do what you want. It's her dream, her reality. We have a choice to watch or not to watch. Those that are watching have kept her afloat. Ask yourself, what you have done to help make sure her show stays on air instead of asking why she's not catering to you or your community. Think about it this way and leave "RACE" out of it. Think'n business wise, would you cater to the people who are not making you money or cater to the people who are not. Not a tough question @ all...is it?:nod:

Of course, it would be great to have equality amongst the races when it comes to talks shows, but that's never going to happen. What interests some, is not going to interest others.
And...it's not like Oprah has turned white, as so many others think.

I believe she has kept it real and has given numerous opportunities within her organization, with her friends and especially with her movies that have presented opportunities of a lifetime. Remember Iyanla was on everytime you turned around and saw her show. Now, she has her own show and another forum for her book and cd sells. And what about her friend Gayle, who she has on the show everytime you turn around. This was long before Dr. Phil. So, what's wrong with given Dr. Phil a forum to speak on to help him move along in his career. Just think about it.

It's safe to say, non-blacks may have thought she was catering to blacks in her movie productions and catering to other races via her television show. I think she's kept it pretty level on both ends and I hope the sister continues to prosper.
And don't forget you can always venture out and do what Oprah did and start your own business and cater to who you want. :tup:
Give the sister her credit.

aamuprettywoman:

"Who are we to tell her what she should do with her talent/her gift? Let her live her own dream. Can you tell your boss (consider the company your working for now what to do and how to run his organiztion and he take everything you say and run with it.) He may take some things, but ultimately, it's his/her decision to run his/her company the way he/she sees fit."

I don't think we are trying to tell her who or whom she should have on her show. I will make a few suggetions as to what I think she should be contributing to her brothers and sisters. This is my personal opinion. Being a black sister living in this country she does have some responsibilites and obligations to her people. Our children need to see more than the good doctor every Tuesday. They need to see more than Rudolph Guliano and how he held New York together after 911. There is a possibility if politicians in New York would not have built that trade center on sacred ground (a cemetary that was a final resting place for native americans and blacks at one time.) These are the questions that she should have addressed to Guliano. she need to focus more on the homeless and proverty in this country. Police brutality, racial profiling, unfair education in public schools, Teacher's low wages, Empowering our people to invest in business ventures, and reparation for slavery. She doesn't need the money now so she can do almost anything she wants. If they cancel her show tomorrow it is not going to hurt her one way or the other. She has had a forum for years where she can truly make a difference.

Originally posted by JSUII

I feel that there are things Oprah can cover that will appeal Black and Whites alike. There are some many things going on in our communities that transcends color. I feel her show as a whole has no real substanance.

I know she has to cater to whomever her largerst audience is so we black folks miss out. I wonder if she has even noticed that blacks don't what her much. I wonder if she even cares.:rolleyes:

I understand what you're saying.

I just don't agree.

Why does Oprah have to be the bridge that overfloweth to do all these suggestions. Yes, she has money. Yes, she's famous. Yes, she has a forum to do so, but so do a lot of other people.
What does Oprah owe you and anyone else?:confused

JSUII:

Being a black sister living in this country she does have some responsibilites and obligations to her people. Our children need to see more than the good doctor every Tuesday.

Her people, I thought, were "all" God's people.

JSUII:
They need to see more than Rudolph Guliano and how he held New York together after 911. There is a possibility if politicians in New York would not have built that trade center on sacred ground (a cemetary that was a final resting place for native americans and blacks at one time.) These are the questions that she should have addressed to Guliano. she need to focus more on the homeless and proverty in this country. Police brutality, racial profiling, unfair education in public schools, Teacher's low wages, Empowering our people to invest in business ventures, and reparation for slavery. She doesn't need the money now so she can do almost anything she wants. If they cancel her show tomorrow it is not going to hurt her one way or the other. She has had a forum for years where she can truly make a difference.

:idea:
Why not put yourself in her position and conquer some of the quests you feel she has not. In 10 years, do you really believe that she has not focused on these subjects. If that's the case, we can do away with local news, and CNN.

Not everybody, no matter what race, everyday, is going to be talking about something on every talk show that "YOU" may be interested in, that includes Oprah.

Talk shows are focused on specific topics for specific reasons, around certain times, as seen fit. If all you want to see are poverty issues, you can watch local news and CNN. They cover issues that directly affect you everyday.

There have been some interesting shows that targeted all races over the years. Address Oprah and tell her how many poverty shows she should have, but she has covered that topic. Address Oprah and tell her to have a show about teacher's low wages, but that has been addressed on her show too. When is enough, enough? Oprah isn't the begin all to end all...she's just one vessel. You can be another. :tub:

Have you written a letter, sent and e-mail, voiced your opinions anywhere other than here? Otherwise, opinion or not, it's empty rhetoric worth repeating only to those who will agree to agree with that opinion right here within this forum. Why can't the difference start with you, instead of putting it "all" on Oprah's shoulders. That's what I'm saying. :) There's plenty more Oprah's out there. Why not become the next or better? There's nothing stopping that. Is there?:idea: That was my initial reason for venturing into the Telecommunications (television/radio/producer/reporter field.)
Did I make a difference? Yes, I did. I was more successful in some areas than others, but you'd be suprised at how the tables are turned once your deal'n with what Oprah is deal'n with.

She may not have a show every American wants to see everyday, but she's still doing things that matter and are make'n a difference in "people's" lives...not just "blacks."

Can you imagine where "blacks" would be if some non-blacks had not given us a chance?:smh: It defeats the purpose to say "Oprah" should only or cater more, to black people?

Give me one good reason, why Oprah should do anything different than what she's doing? She could have 500 black guests on her show talk'n about numerous subjects and someone would still find something to complain about, disagree with or say she should be doing more to quote..."help the black community." What are you and the "black community" doing to help yourself? Just asking.:D

You can't please everybody and she knows this, as well as the rest of the staff. Show or not...Oprah has made her mark. I'm proud of her and wish a lot more could be done with that show, before it cancels, but these are the latter years.

Her upcoming years were on point and were a big part of what got her where she is today. Obviously, the strategies used to promote and develop the show have proven to be succesful. I'm just grateful the sister was on this long.

Signed,
My opinion.
Voiced and noted.;)

IT'S A BUSINESS

I seriously doubt that Oprah could give 2 flying F's about what someone thinks about her show. Why do you think she's been on for so long and has made so much money??? It's all about the ratings. Oprah caters to her audience. Not the fairweather people like me who only watch when Prince or Janet Jackson is on. She caters to those lonely white women who don't work and sit at home all day while their rich husbands bring home the cheddar. Why would she risk that by featuring some cop killer on death row??? It's a business and people need to realize that!!!!

Oprah tells Dubya NO!

4--12--02
EARTHA Kitt was a fairly well-known singer, dancer and actress who ran afoul of Lady Bird Johnson.

During a White House luncheon in 1968, the sultry entertainer criticized the Vietnam War and, by extension, Johnson's spouse, President Lyndon Johnson.

Lady Bird was not pleased.

Not long after, Kitt complained that she couldn't find work and that some friends shunned her.

It got so bad that Kitt fled to Europe. She remained there for 10 years, struggling, she said, to find jobs. Kitt scored a personal triumph in 1978 when she came back home and won a Tony award nomination for her performance in the Broadway show "Timbuktu."

Younger people may remember Kitt's hilarious role as the sex-starved owner of a cosmetic company in the 1992 Eddie Murphy movie, "Boomerang."

Fast forward to 2002, and it's Oprah Winfrey who has miffed someone at the White House. Due to schedule conflicts, Oprah "respectfully declined" an invitation to join an official U. S. delegation to Afghanistan.

Others who were to go on the trip included such high-powered women as National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice and presidential adviser Karen Hughes. Their purpose was to celebrate Afghan girls' return to schools, which they weren't allowed to attend during the frightful reign of the female-phobic Taliban.

The White House crowd envisioned loads of good press, no doubt: photos of Oprah, sent around the world, embracing young, dark-eyed girls and women, grateful that the American President's war on terrorism had liberated them from fanatical male oppressors.

Inside-the-Beltway wags wrote that the trip was the brainchild of campaign strategists, thinking ahead to President Bush's re-election. They apparently fear the administration is losing ground with female voters with it's constant talk of war.

So sending high-profile women to Afghanistan was supposed to put "a softer spin on the public's perceptions of the war on terrorism," one reporter said.

Having Oprah along would undoubtedly have been a political coup, soothing negative female public opinion.

But Oprah begged off, and the trip was canceled.

Bear in mind that this isn't an administration that relishes being told no by anyone, not by members of Congress, and certainly not an entertainer.

Oprah didn't appreciate being blamed for the trip's cancellation, and, powerful woman that she is, she barked back.

She phoned her friend, Star Jones, a co-host of ABC's popular talk show, "The View," and said that she felt "extremely used" by the White House.

According to Jones, Oprah was surprised at news items that cast her as "cavalier" and self-important. How dare even Oprah turn down a White House invitation?

What really got Oprah's goat, she told Jones, is that after the White House had been informed that she couldn't go, Hughes had assured Oprah that it would go on without her.

The flap between Oprah and the White House may be small potatoes. But it's news because it's another sign that some in the Bush administration have lost their minds. They sometimes act as if this is England, as if George Bush is king and the American people are merely his subjects.

Was not a Revolutionary War fought to assure that this country wouldn't be a monarchy?

Does this arrogant White House crowd actually need reminding that, just as it's not nice to fool Mother Nature, it's also not nice to fool with Oprah, even when it's done slyly through leaks to the press?

Oprah is Mother Nature for millions of American women. Oprah is their Sepia Savior, who has introduced them to the wonderful world of high self-esteem.

In Oprah, women see a role model of power.

And every Tuesday, along with "Dr. Phil," Oprah takes on human dysfunction, from the bedroom to the boardroom. She's introduced millions of her fans to good books, and she's made millionaires of unknown writers, hairdressers, therapists and cooks.

Since this is the case, my unsolicited and free advice to the White House crowd is that they not mistake President Bush's currently high approval ratings as meaning that anything goes.

The reality is that people can't stand bullies.

White House operatives also would do well to keep in mind that Oprah has had high approval ratings for years. I suspect that if she wanted to, she could be elected President. So the bottom line is that it's probably better for the White House to have an apolitical Oprah as a friend than a politicized Oprah as an enemy.

Back