Opinion: NFL owners know the league has a diversity problem and they don't care

Olde Hornet

Opinion: NFL owners know the league has a diversity problem and they don't care .
:no:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...their-mockery-rooney-rule-coaches/2847913001/

The Rooney Rule will be useless until NFL owners acknowledge the real problem.

Themselves.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and league officials can compile all the lists they want, consult every diversity expert there is and even browbeat owners into interviewing minority coaching candidates. But until owners admit they’re uncomfortable with, or flat-out don’t want, men of color as the faces of their franchises, nothing is ever going to change.

Of the four head coaches hired so far, only one, Washington’s Ron Rivera, is a minority. If the Cleveland Browns hire a white coach — five of their seven remaining candidates are white — it will be the third consecutive year that only one man of color has been hired as a head coach.

I will not take a shot at Jerry Jones after his hired McCarthy. (I have had some pleasure taking shots at Jones.) Although Marvin Lewis changed the culture of losing in Cincinnati despite working under a cheap owner, and Jim Caldwell and Lewis deserve head coaching jobs in the NFL. However, I guess a Black coach will need a recommendation like the new Giant head coach, who was the wide receiver coach, got from Nick Saban and Bill Bellichick.

If the Giants continue to lose, the new coach will hear it more than any coach anywhere else.

When you own the team, you can hire as you please. Instead of dragging our children to a basketball gym, or football field. We need to be showing the "Power Of Ownership."

I agree. But why should the owners care, the players don't. They are too afraid to speak up!

Back