Open Letter to Def Jam. The state of Hip Hop and our Community

JSU*Toi

Rapper Paris has posted an open letter to Def Jam.
He states:

Peace, Hopefully this letter finds you all doing well. I'm writing you because you are all in definitive positions of power within what is arguably the most powerful hip-hop label in the world.

The recent untimely passing of Jam Master Jay is causing many in our communities to reflect on exactly where we are going as a collective. In this age where life often imitates art, it is no longer acceptable for culture-defining entities like Def Jam to claim that the material it endorses simply "reflects the tastes of the street." This is definitely not the case, as the street usually emulates and embraces only what is presented to it. Without balance there can only be turmoil, and without exposure to the positive folks can't want what they never know. Therefore, a blind ear can no longer be turned when it comes to making decisions that reflect the messages and imagery that will be infused into our communities.

I'm sure that there are many people currently working at Def Jam who express both unease and displeasure at the negative, materialistic direction hip-hop has taken. But passive compliance doesn't change anything, and the music is in this condition only because you and labels like you have allowed it to become this way. Somewhere along the line "Ghetto" became synonymous with "Ignorant" - even though the two are exclusive of one another. Hopefully this tragedy, which I'm sure has hit closer to home for you than most, will force you to demand more of the material and artists you are willing to support. I say this because these negative messages and imagery have contributed heavily to our current climate of violence. Indeed, it never ceases to amaze me what people choose to be upset and offended by. Artists like me, Dead Prez, and PE make records about challenging the system, combating police brutality and fighting injustice - but are consequently silenced and/or ignored by the same labels who profit from our communities. And yet the negative is continually supported, and blood money continually enjoyed. Why? Only you know.

Hopefully your organization, with it's considerable resources, will make the necessary arrangements to adequately provide for Jay's family - especially in light of the fact that there would BE NO DEF JAM without RUN-DMC. I also pray that you will switch up your current A&R policies to do right by people who love & support hip hop.

Peace & Strength,
PARIS

Paris is my man and all but unless people like Mos Def, Comm Dead Prez, and the fans of real hip hop step up then they not changing one thing...

:smh:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I don't see this whole hip hop "fu** a bi*c*/aint sh*t, its murder, watch me bling as hip hop it i just pop gone bad. Hip Hop started as a voice and not the shat is voice less stutters to the mindeless masses of urban decay.

Brown Sugar did not represent what really goes on with the "BUSINESS" of hip hop. That was a love story. The business is shady and grimy. Death Row, Bad Boy, Tommy Boy, Def Jam, Loud Records...THAT IS HIP HOP!!!

I saw Brown Sugar.

I agree hip hop is a voice. The thing is, it doesn't just speak for the "conscious" people. It is just as much about gangstas as anything else.

I have yet to see Brown Sugar( the guy at the gas station sold them all ) , but I think Beat Street was a really movie about Hip-Hop. When Rico died, the whole community came together. The problem is that we have some how Hip-Hop with Thug-Life and now people can not tell them apart.

Originally posted by JSU*Toi
I don't see this whole hip hop "fu** a bi*c*/aint sh*t, its murder, watch me bling as hip hop it i just pop gone bad. Hip Hop started as a voice and not the shat is voice less stutters to the mindeless masses of urban decay.

I feel you on that one.

Great letter, and a number of MCs have spoken about this in recent years. However, I don't see any change. Why? Tell me what incentive Def Jam has to change what they put out? Black folks can boycott all we want, but the number one buyer of rap and hip hop will continue to be suburban, white males. THAT is the target audience, and these "gangstas", "bling-blingers", et al are nothing more than modern day Amos and Andy and other embarrassments.

Yes, there needs to be a higher level of consciousness among the masses who buy the records, for only then will the labels changes. However, how do we achieve that? How can we convince the labels that conscious-raising music can sell as well as degrading music? They won't sign some talented artists whose message is "too political," because MTV and BET won't play them. There are not enough of the rest of us out here to make a financial dent (unless the rest of you posting here are suburban white males...), so where are we left? Grassroots movement? More pub to indy labels and artists? If so, how? Played and tired Million _______ Marches? Armed revolution? Voudoun ritual? Any ideas???

Originally posted by sophandros
Great letter, and a number of MCs have spoken about this in recent years. However, I don't see any change. Why? Tell me what incentive Def Jam has to change what they put out? Black folks can boycott all we want, but the number one buyer of rap and hip hop will continue to be suburban, white males. THAT is the target audience, and these "gangstas", "bling-blingers", et al are nothing more than modern day Amos and Andy and other embarrassments.

Yes, there needs to be a higher level of consciousness among the masses who buy the records, for only then will the labels changes. However, how do we achieve that? How can we convince the labels that conscious-raising music can sell as well as degrading music? They won't sign some talented artists whose message is "too political," because MTV and BET won't play them. There are not enough of the rest of us out here to make a financial dent (unless the rest of you posting here are suburban white males...), so where are we left? Grassroots movement? More pub to indy labels and artists? If so, how? Played and tired Million _______ Marches? Armed revolution? Voudoun ritual? Any ideas???

Things have changed somewhat. The violence has been toned down some because for a while almost every song was about killing. And we're starting to see more hood reppin, good times, party tunes as many predicted we would. But we still have to tone down the all about bling,bling and sexual tones a little.

Originally posted by sophandros

Something will have to be done. The first thing is a mental revolution by us. However, understand that the recording industry has very deep pockets. They have a lot of money.

Back