Oakland Loses Another Team to Las Vegas

Bjarke Ingles & HNTB Release Oakland A's Las Vegas Ballpark Renderings For Tropicana Hotel Site

The 33,000-capacity covered ballpark will sit on nine acres on Las Vegas Boulevard between Tropicana Avenue and Reno Avenue. Designed by BIG in collaboration with HNTB, the new home for the Athletics has an expected opening date of spring 2028. The project builds on a longstanding collaboration between BIG and the Athletics, dating back to a different ballpark design presented in Oakland, California in 2018

The new ballpark’s roof is accentuated by five overlapping shells resembling baseball pennants, paying homage to the sport. For players, these arched “pennants” will attenuate direct sunlight glare while welcoming indirect natural light through northern oriented clerestory windows. The domed ballpark is also designed to feature the world’s largest cable net glass wall. The structure’s exterior metal cladding shimmers in the natural daylight and reflects the surrounding Las Vegas lights at night.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
And it's still sold out nearly every train. It's more about the convenience of not HAVING to drive everywhere. The difference between the 2 is Brightline FL isn't really high speed because most of the rails are just freight train rails that were already there. The one from LV to LA is being built to top out at 200mph from scratch.

Bjarke Ingles & HNTB Release Oakland A's Las Vegas Ballpark Renderings For Tropicana Hotel Site

The 33,000-capacity covered ballpark will sit on nine acres on Las Vegas Boulevard between Tropicana Avenue and Reno Avenue. Designed by BIG in collaboration with HNTB, the new home for the Athletics has an expected opening date of spring 2028. The project builds on a longstanding collaboration between BIG and the Athletics, dating back to a different ballpark design presented in Oakland, California in 2018

The new ballpark’s roof is accentuated by five overlapping shells resembling baseball pennants, paying homage to the sport. For players, these arched “pennants” will attenuate direct sunlight glare while welcoming indirect natural light through northern oriented clerestory windows. The domed ballpark is also designed to feature the world’s largest cable net glass wall. The structure’s exterior metal cladding shimmers in the natural daylight and reflects the surrounding Las Vegas lights at night.

Man that is a nice 'A' stadium. Vegas is doing it big. Next up somebodies' basketball team.

I think I heard that the mayor of Las Vegas isn't thrilled with the idea of public funds being used to build another expensive stadium in town.

Probably because the citizens are pissed and taking it out on them. When they moved the Braves to Cobb County I think they hit the tax payers for 300 million to build the battery. People were mad as hell initially but forgot it over time, basically. That one turned out not to be a bad investment though because the battery stays packed even when there aren't games. Really nice game atmosphere on a clear night though.

Probably because the citizens are pissed and taking it out on them. When they moved the Braves to Cobb County I think they hit the tax payers for 300 million to build the battery. People were mad as hell initially but forgot it over time, basically. That one turned out not to be a bad investment though because the battery stays packed even when there aren't games. Really nice game atmosphere on a clear night though.
To me if they are going to use public funds for stadiums, then the cities and states need to be cutting better deals. I would want a cut of the revenue, make them pay an exit fee if they ever move the team out of the city, and public funds would be treat like a loan where the teams have to pay it back.

Well, when you have people in high places that care more about their own profits... this is what you get. Pretty sure Forsyth County is about to do the exact same thing in an attempt to try to lure the NHL back to the ATL Metro area too. Folks won't get to vote on it.. they'll just do it anyways.

I think I heard that the mayor of Las Vegas isn't thrilled with the idea of public funds being used to build another expensive stadium in town.

She don't like the location of the stadium. She wants it to be somewhere else to help build that area up.

Goodman explained that the city had initially showed A's ownership a different location in Las Vegas – an open site with 60-100 acres of land (the Tropicana site is nine acres) in the "historic, old part of town." According to Goodman, the site was near "where all major interstate highways come together" with seven different access points.

Back