Non-alumnus Gifts $600K in Property to ASU

Olde Hornet

Non-alumnus Gifts $600K in Property to ASU​

Dr. Roosevelt McCorvey, an obstetrician-gynecologist in Montgomery, wanted to draw upon Alabama State University’s historic strengths by helping to prepare ASU students for the challenges and opportunities they will encounter.

McCorvey, a non-alumnus, gifted Alabama State University with property worth $600,000. The gift closely mirrors alumni giving.

“I call myself a friend of the University because I graduated from another HBCU in Alabama. I practice in Montgomery and the population here is responsible for whatever I got. I wanted to give back to that community. So, we offered the property to ASU and they accepted it,” he said. “I could have tried to extract as many dollars out of the building that I could but…. I thought I could come to close proximity to regeneration by donating it to an institution. I wanted it to be used beyond my use.”

McCorvery hopes the tripod building consisting of three suites, located on the city’s west side, will be used as a human science facility.

“But, if Alabama State can convert it to use that is favorable to them, I’m okay with that,” he said.

The Florida native’s connection to ASU is tied to his best friend.

“My late frat brother and best friend, Richard Quinton Thomas, a staunch ASU graduate, was the most influential in my decision. He helped me build the building,” he said.

Other ASU ties, he noted, include his wife and other ASU graduates.

Gifts by association are also tax deductible. A student's academic success begins in a building. Good gesture Dr. Roosevelt McCorvey.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Back