No HBCU basketball team had a 3.0 or above cumulative

tsugraytiger

Below is a list of colleges from the NCAA, NJCAA, and NIAA with men basketball teams with a cumulative 3.0 or above GPA for the 2016-2017 academic year.

http://www.nabc.com/NABC_Releases/2017/2016-17_team_excellence

I see my graduate institution (PWI) listed but not my beloved undergraduate HBCU.

I was expecting to see at least what many consider to be the more highly ranked and selective HBCUs on the list .... you know Howard, Hampton, Morehouse, and Xavier of Louisiana but to my disappointment they're not even listed. NO HBCUs are listed. This bothers me. We as black people got to do better in valuing academic excellence over athletic excellence ... it shouldn't even be close. You can do well in both ... I did it and so many others.

Below is a list of colleges from the NCAA, NJCAA, and NIAA with men basketball teams with a cumulative 3.0 or above GPA for the 2016-2017 academic year.

http://www.nabc.com/NABC_Releases/2017/2016-17_team_excellence

I see my graduate institution (PWI) listed but not my beloved undergraduate HBCU.

I was expecting to see at least what many consider to be the more highly ranked and selective HBCUs on the list .... you know Howard, Hampton, Morehouse, and Xavier of Louisiana but to my disappointment they're not even listed. NO HBCUs are listed. This bothers me. We as black people got to do better in valuing academic excellence over athletic excellence ... it shouldn't even be close. You can do well in both ... I did it and so many others.

Hell none of the basketball powers were on there either outside of Kansas and Louisville. LOL. I am shocked Pitino's Louisville team had them kind of grades. Somebody might need to investigate.

Hell none of the basketball powers were on there either outside of Kansas and Louisville. LOL. I am shocked Pitino's Louisville team had them kind of grades. Somebody might need to investigate.

Them boys don't go to class .... they are closer to the NBA than our players so they are even more motivated to not take school seriously. But what's sad is NBA players go broke all the time ... they think the NBA is the end all and be all and it's simply not.

And yes Coach P needs to be investigated ... I'm witcha sir.

Last edited:
Reactions: JR

O-State isn't on the list either, JR. smh Things changed from the late 1980s/early 1990s to now w/ some of these sorry kids. smh

As for Howard also? I'm not shocked. Rampant stupidity in the athletics department seeps down to the student-athletes, imho. The "H" is the mecca of black education in america, true enough, but that doesn't mean it is the mecca of student-athletes lol :D .

O-State isn't on the list either, JR. smh Things changed from the late 1980s/early 1990s to now w/ some of these sorry kids. smh

As for Howard also? I'm not shocked. Rampant stupidity in the athletics department seeps down to the student-athletes, imho. The "H" is the mecca of black education in america, true enough, but that doesn't mean it is the mecca of student-athletes lol :D .

Maybe the had an average of 2.9 and just missed the cut. LOL

Maybe the had an average of 2.9 and just missed the cut. LOL

I'll bet lol. It was some shit going on about that piece when Gary Williams was heading the deal. Securing then grad'ing HS SR Jim Jackson lol :D, Treg, Jamaal, and Perry 'nem were doing some shit off campus and I was shocked watching them and those TAs doing work behind the scenes for certain classes. ::read::

I'll bet lol. It was some shit going on about that piece when Gary Williams was heading the deal. Securing then grad'ing HS SR Jim Jackson lol :D, Treg, Jamaal, and Perry 'nem were doing some shit off campus and I was shocked watching them and those TAs doing work behind the scenes for certain classes. ::read::

LOL. At least Jimmy Jack graduated. He actually was pretty smart. Clark Kellogg is another one that was a true student athlete. Now a 2 time Ohio State Board Member. LOL.

Back