Nichelle Nichols, Barrier-Breaking Star Trek Actress, Dead at 89

Star Trek started me on my computer nerd path to geekdom.

Pray Rest In Peace GIF by Holly Logan

Nichelle Nichols, who broke a major race barrier as the star of the 1960s sci-fi series Star Trek, has died. She was 89.
Nichols' death was confirmed by her talent manager and business partner of 15 years, Gilbert Bell, to Variety on Sunday. She died in Silver City, New Mexico.

Live Long And Prosper Star Trek GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Nichelle Nichols, Lt. Uhura on ‘Star Trek,’ Dies at 89​

Nichelle Nichols, who played Lt. Nyota Uhura on the original “Star Trek,” has died at the age of 89, her son Kyle Johnson announced on her official Facebook page.

“Last night, my mother, Nichelle Nichols, succumbed to natural causes and passed away,” Johnson’s statement read. “Her light however, like the ancient galaxies now being seen for the first time, will remain for us and future generations to enjoy, learn from, and draw inspiration. Hers was a life well lived and as such a model for us all.”

As Uhura, Nichols was one of the first Black women ever to play a main cast role on a television series, as “Star Trek” creator Gene Roddenberry wanted the crew of the USS Enterprise to come from many diverse backgrounds. Uhura, whose surname came from the Swahili word for “freedom,” was the ship’s communications officer with expertise in linguistics.

After the show’s first season wrapped in 1966, Nichols planned to leave “Star Trek” to pursue roles on Broadway despite Roddenberry’s pleas to stay. But she changed her mind after an unexpected meeting with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at an NAACP event, where the civil rights leader told her that his entire family watched “Trek” together. When Nichols told her she was going to leave the show, he urged her to reconsider.

She was the best supporting character ever on Star Trek, I was a boy but I knew I liked seeing her in that uniform her and I dream of Jeannie made me knew I liked girls

This will give you another side of Nichelle, she wasn't Lt. Uhura in the movie Truck Turner, it was before my time, but I watched this a few months ago, it was wild. Nichelle was a cold pimp tho, RIP to her and Yaphet he was a cool pimp until he ran into Truck Turner

STRONG LANGUAGE WARNING, this is from the Black Exploitation days and before political correctness so just warning before you click it

I wasn't much of a Trekie, but much respect. I remember watching Truck Turner with Isaac Hayes and seeing a different side of her (acting wise), with the character that she played. I was impressed. RIP...

This will give you another side of Nichelle, she wasn't Lt. Uhura in the movie Truck Turner, it was before my time, but I watched this a few months ago, it was wild. Nichelle was a cold pimp tho, RIP to her and Yaphet he was a cool pimp until he ran into Truck Turner

STRONG LANGUAGE WARNING, this is from the Black Exploitation days and before political correctness so just warning before you click it

Oh wow, I didn't see this when I made my post about this. She also appeared in promotions in the late 70s as NASA prepared for it's series of Space Shuttle Runs...

That was strong

It really was.
It is a reminder of something we've lost along the way. Images and portrayals are an important piece of how we, as a people, are perceived in this nation. Racists understood this very well, hence their wide-spread use of sambo and mammy caricatures not to mention movies like "Birth of a Nation". Dr. King and others, before and shortly after his time, understood very well also hence his plea to Queen Nichols.

Unfortunately, we live in day and time now where anything goes. Many of the shows on TV now, while entertaining, portray us as some of the most dysfunctional people breathing, walking and talking.

I know the two of you not only know what I'm talking about, but have lived it. Sometimes, when I'm preaching a sermon it is really meant for me.

Back