New commissioner Charles McClelland wants to put his stamp on the SWAC

LAW DAWG

TSU LOVE
What are your short-term and long-term goals for the conference?

My short-term goal is really to start to build on the sponsors and exposure we already have, build upon the history and tradition that our 10 member institutions have, and I want to build upon those to generate revenue to assist in graduating our student-athletes.

Long-term, we want to look at some formulas to assist in raising the profile of our sports so we cannot be one of the lower-rated conferences within the NCAA. We want to make sure we get more than one team in the basketball tournament;
https://theundefeated.com/features/...es-mcclelland-wants-to-put-his-stamp-on-swac/

Right man. Right position. He was born to be a panther, as many of us other diehards were as well.

Good luck w/ it C-Mac.

Seems like he wants our schools to not depend so much on these money games in football and basketball. I'm down for it especially in basketball. Looks like we will have another OOC schedule full of road games with 0 home games against D1 competition.

Seems like he wants our schools to not depend so much on these money games in football and basketball. I'm down for it especially in basketball. Looks like we will have another OOC schedule full of road games with 0 home games against D1 competition.
The Mike Davis HBCU model

The Mike Davis HBCU model

We were doing it before Davis made it to TxSU lol

I wanna say at least 2009-2010 but it definitely started happening when Woods was at Valley and we stopped playing Delta State. When we almost beat South Carolina and Iowa State, it seemed like it justified to keep doing it. We're produced solid players during this stretch but the program is stagnant (our only OOC win since 2011 has been against A&T)

We were doing it before Davis made it to TxSU lol

I wanna say at least 2009-2010 but it definitely started happening when Woods was at Valley and we stopped playing Delta State. When we almost beat South Carolina and Iowa State, it seemed like it justified to keep doing it. We're produced solid players during this stretch but the program is stagnant (our only OOC win since 2011 has been against A&T)
But Woods though...............

So much negativity....SMH

Dont get me wrong, I hope that's not the case, but Presidents control their university's purse strings and direction. I believe any improvement McClelland makes to the conference will he mostly within his realm of influence, but the president have to want better for their programs.

[He says the conference has partnered with Birmingham schools to bring seniors to Friday's championship games for a college fair that will allow schools to offer acceptance and even scholarships on the spot.
"What we’re trying to do is show the city what the SWAC is worth to Birmingham, tie that into the educational component and let everybody know that we want to be here,” says McClelland.]

I think this is a great idea! I had always thought that it would create more local interest and attendance if the local High Schools were somehow involved in these games after seeing the local venues nearly empty during semi-final games in the past when they were held in Birmingham. This college fair is one step that will generate more interest in our games in the local community!

[He says the conference has partnered with Birmingham schools to bring seniors to Friday's championship games for a college fair that will allow schools to offer acceptance and even scholarships on the spot.
"What we’re trying to do is show the city what the SWAC is worth to Birmingham, tie that into the educational component and let everybody know that we want to be here,” says McClelland.]

I think this is a great idea! I had always thought that it would create more local interest and attendance if the local High Schools were somehow involved in these games after seeing the local venues nearly empty during semi-final games in the past when they were held in Birmingham. This college fair is one step that will generate more interest in our games in the local community!
It is a great idea. This was done in Houston also.

Back